NYC Dining Suggestions

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
i live in NYC but i want to go to a new restaurant with a lady friend that i haven't been to before. I went on Yelp and when trying to find something interesting it's just too overwhelming so I figured i would come here for some suggestions...

preferably a place where you don't have to dress up but it isn't bummy either. no tourist traps. just a good dining experience with great food (any style of food is welcome). also I don't mind spending money but none of that $200 per person splurge shit haha.

any help would be appreciated....

-chris

Comments

• My favorite place is ZaZa on the UES:
    http://www.zazanyc.com/

You have to try the Carpacio Exotico appetizer, but ask to add buffalo mozzarella.
    It's:

Carpacio of raw filet mignon
    Mango slices
    Avocado slices
    Hearts of Palm
    And the mozz

Top with oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice
    Put a small piece of each ingredient together on your fork.

Also they are known for their Fettucini with mushrooms and white truffle sauce, which is awesome.

It's affordable and you can eat in the backyard garden if you want.

• i ate at this brazilian place w/a group of friends when i was in ny last month. seems like it would be a fun place to take a lady friend--good food and drinks. use as an opportunity to impress her with knowledge of brazilian raers.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/esperanto-new-york

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Enwhyceedeeznuuts

• jdeez said:

Recommended.

I like The Grocery also in Brooklyn.

• my old friend is owner and chef of this place:

www.palosanto.us

It's in a beautiful brownstone in Parkslope. He completely gutted and renovated it himself -- it's pretty amazing inside. Great date spot.

It's Latin / Caribbean inspired food. Great selection of local and South American and Mexican wines too.

Great food.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    2 spots I like that are a little off the beaten path (read: not downtown).

Pisticci, up by 125th and Bway (la salle I believe is the exact street). It's a good date spot, small brick layout just below street level, low lighting, really good pasta and italian dishes, and a spinach/potato/bacon salad that is one of my all time favorites. This is my girls go-to "date night" spot, and I like it cause the food is great, the wine's reasonable, and the place is utterly lacking pretension.

Another spot I really like is sripraphai, in Woodside queens. Don't be put off by the location, you can get there from Times Sq in 20-25 min. Friends from thailand say this is most authentic thai food in the city, and its really on a different level then what you find elsewhere. For a date, might be a better look in the summer because the backyard is really nice and candlelit. The inside dining room is more utilitarian, but the place oozes authenticity no matter where you sit, so it might be ok depending on how adventurous she is. its hard to go wrong, but a couple personal favs are the beef salad with mint and lime juice, panang curry and pad see yew. Just be forewarned, if you say you want something "thai spicy", there will be pain.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    For a date spot, Baccaro in LES is on that romantic shit. Frankie 151 in LES is too. Both are pretty lax and won't put a crazy dent in your wallet. Peasant on Elizabeth in Soho is good too on some date ish.

These are all downtown spots, though. I'm not up on my uptown ish -- would like to be.

As for Brooklyn, there are a lot of spots. Vinegar Hill, like they said. Marlow and Sons is cool, but really, on the wrong night, they go SO over the top w/ the whole brooklyn hipster thing that I've walked out before ordering on one occasion. They were blaring classical music (aggro classical) and my waiter had a rollie fingers moustache with his hair sort of plastered down on his head -- also had no sense of humor. I couldn't hack it.

That spot under the subway is mad good -- sorta in Willyb. Lemme try and remember the name.

• Gramercy Tavern.

sabadabada said:
    Gramercy Tavern.

You think? Every time I been passed there it's always PACKED, mad amounts of people inside. Heard the food is quite good, though.

Tipsy Parson is a good look, as well, in Chelsea. Cozy inside, good food. Same people own a smaller restaurant in LES called Little Giant which is also a good look, but def on the small side w/ more of a limited menu.

• definitely Rao's

;-)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Unherd said:
    Another spot I really like is sripraphai, in Woodside queens. Don't be put off by the location, you can get there from Times Sq in 20-25 min. Friends from thailand say this is most authentic thai food in the city, and its really on a different level then what you find elsewhere.

Ive been told this is the "BEST" Thai spot in NYC.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    definitely Rao's

;-)

on a difficulty scale of 1-10 getting into Rao's is a 10

i'd rate getting into the basement at Academy a 2

but best believe if i could i would drop anything and everything to go

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    how is this compared to the great jones caf??

i am hitting up NYC before and after the honeymoon
    also where's the best jerk chicken batmon?

• jdeez said:

this owned by a friend of mine and is super lovely but not overly precious, you should take her there for sure. also the owners of Freemans just opened up Peels on Bowery and 2nd st and it feels like the inside of a proper Louisiana restaurant and has really yummy food and a nice vibe and good wines but again not overly conceptual or stiff. If you take her there she'll be like damn he knows some shit. If you take her to the UES she will feel suicidal when she gets home by herself kidding

Woimsah said:
    Frankie 151 in LES is too.

maybe you are thinking of frankie's 17 which is really nice and delicious for dinner but small, i would go on a wknd night unless you want to be stuck waiting

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    dudes what say ye about this schedule
    is there better ways of getting around
    and feel free to recommend items on the menu if you know the spot
    Day1 20thsept
    we get to port authority 7:30
    breakfast at johnny's luncheonette26thst/6thave
    walk to midtown,empirestate,bryant park
    jamaican cart and other cart (suggestion,kebab?)51st st/9ave
    hit up margon cuban spot
    rockefeller centre and st-patrick church
    central park
    than walk over to hagi's sake bar for supper
    take a plane to ecuador

DAY2 oct 11
    Amy's bread for breakfast49st/9thave
    central park in the autumn
    pizza/calzone at rigoletto's columbus ave/69st
    grab some cookies at levain and hot chocolate at jacques torres
    to take on the ferry to staten island
    than shopping at soho' (where are the kicks stores)
    visit good records
    than great jones caf?? before walking through korea town to port auhtority back to MTL
    thanks for cheking this over for an out of towner

• glad to see so much love for vinegar hill house here! my girlfriend is a server there...love it! highly recommended!

jdeez said:

Woimsah said:
    Frankie 151 in LES is too.

maybe you are thinking of frankie's 17 which is really nice and delicious for dinner but small, i would go on a wknd night unless you want to be stuck waiting

haha I totally am. funny thing is, when I wrote that I initially wrote "Frank 151" and realized that was the magazine, and knew it was called Frankie 17, but still somehow managed to keep the "151" in there.

• pcmr said:
    dudes what say ye about this schedule
    is there better ways of getting around
    and feel free to recommend items on the menu if you know the spot
    Day1 20thsept
    we get to port authority 7:30
    breakfast at johnny's luncheonette26thst/6thave
    walk to midtown,empirestate,bryant park
    jamaican cart and other cart (suggestion,kebab?)51st st/9ave
    hit up margon cuban spot
    rockefeller centre and st-patrick church
    central park
    than walk over to hagi's sake bar for supper
    take a plane to ecuador

DAY2 oct 11
    Amy's bread for breakfast49st/9thave
    central park in the autumn
    pizza/calzone at rigoletto's columbus ave/69st
    grab some cookies at levain and hot chocolate at jacques torres
    to take on the ferry to staten island
    than shopping at soho' (where are the kicks stores)
    visit good records
    than great jones caf?? before walking through korea town to port auhtority back to MTL
    thanks for cheking this over for an out of towner

Unless you're prepared to wake at crack-of-dawn to get over to the Empire State Building, you are going to be on a line for a good hour or more.

I would suggest the following Day 2. Take the 6 train down to Spring Street and then walking south along Mulberry (San Gennaro Feast) and Mott Street (one block East of Mulberry, Chinatown). Have yummy Vietnamese food at Nah Trang on Baxter Street do the Salpt and Pepper shrimp). And then its just 5 minute walk through Foley Square past the courthouses over to the Brooklyn Bridge. At the time it was built it was the highest vantage point in the city and still offers great views of Downtown and the Seaport. Walk out to the first tower of the bridge for the view and fresh air, and then return and walk downtown via Broadway or any of the myriad streets that make up the old waterfront, financial district Wall street, Federal Hall, Grace Church (look for my favorite tombstone in the back from 1700s "Strangers pause as you pass by, as your are now, sow once was I, as I am now, you soon shall be, prepare for death and follow me"). This will ultimately lead you to the Staten Island Ferry. Round trip is free. Then nice on-tap beers at the cafe in Battery Park.

Return from Battery Park on the 6 train back to Spring Street again. Walk west this time and you will be in SOHO. Then to Great Jones on your way to see Johnny Paycheck, stop at McSorleys for dark beers on the way.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks for the advice that's what i was looking for
    the brooklyn bridge idea is definetly getting added to the mix

• pcmr said:

I edited it to add Great Jones, and Johnny Paycheck and Soho shopping.

• sabadabada said:
    pcmr said:

I edited it to add Great Jones, and Johnny Paycheck and Soho shopping.

McSorely's. It's amazing how much this place looks the same. Except now they let broads in. Although I remember when they first had to let women in and they refused to put in a lady's bathroom to try and get around that.

• The Ferry takes a while too, half hour going and half hour coming back.

Go to 5 Points instead of the Great Jones Cafe. The Swift Hiberian Lounge is right by there too and they have a pretty great draft beer list, but go somewhat earlyish as it can get full of douchbags after 10. And I like Doyers Vietnamese better than that joint on Baxter, although it is a good place too.

Woimsah, Gramercy Tavern is the truth. That's where Danny Meyer got his start, and although it has a new chef now its still on point. Not sure if its still on the menu but their sweatbreads were excellent. Reservations for the main dinning room are limited, but walk-ins are welcome to the tavern part.

• Stop by city hall and visit the hall of aldermanic presidents and see if you can identify which one is grandpa-dabada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Council

• Garcia_Vega said:
    The Ferry takes a while too, half hour going and half hour coming back.

Go to 5 Points instead of the Great Jones Cafe. The Swift Hiberian Lounge is right by there too and they have a pretty great draft beer list, but go somewhat earlyish as it can get full of douchbags after 10. And I like Doyers Vietnamese better than that joint on Baxter, although it is a good place too.

Woimsah, Gramercy Tavern is the truth. That's where Danny Meyer got his start, and although it has a new chef now its still on point. Not sure if its still on the menu but their sweatbreads were excellent. Reservations for the main dinning room are limited, but walk-ins are welcome to the tavern part.

You'll be tired and will welcome sitting got an hour and the ferry is nice if the weather is good and it gets you clase to the statue of liberty. AND they serve beer on the ferry. Great Jones is also pretty small so eating there during mealtimes can be slow and the bar only accomodates about 15-20 people including standing. They just reopened after a fire, but I doubt it got any bigger. Don't go to Acme instead if you are looking for that type of food, it is a poor substitute.

• sabadabada said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    The Ferry takes a while too, half hour going and half hour coming back.

You'll be tired and will welcome sitting got an hour and the ferry is nice if the weather is good and it gets you clase to the statue of liberty. AND they serve beer on the ferry. Great Jones is also pretty small so eating there during mealtimes can be slow and the bar only accomodates about 15-20 people including standing. They just reopened after a fire, but I doubt it got any bigger. Don't go to Acme instead if you are looking for that type of food, it is a poor substitute.

True, if they do all the Chinatown/City Hall/Battery Park sitting will be nice. I used to work on the ferry for a little bit. Go upstairs and sit outside on the right hand side, best views of the Statue.

Although different styles of food, 5 Points is a much better overall restaurant than Great Jones. NY doesn't really have any good cajun spots.

• " NY doesn't really have any good cajun spots"

Actually there's a new cajun spot in Williamsburg that is getting good reviews. It's part of the Charleston bar on Bedford ave...I haven't tried it yet but plan to! Also The Commdore is really great for southern food and they have good dj's on the weekends!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    so sorry to hear that
    for all the acadians and new-orleans resstlement here in MTL we are in the same rut
    i was touring louisiana when i was 10 i should have gone for more food than the beignets

• have any of y'all been to this spot Mara's? http://www.marashomemade.com/

i've never been, but i've met the owners here in NOLA and it definitely sounded legit.