Stupid to sell the vinyl during the summer???

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Was just chatting with an old buddy of mine who's the only person whose mentioned this to me, so figured I'd ask some of ya'll. According to him, it's sorta silly to sell vinyl on the bay during the summer months, as many Europeans like to get the hell out of Dodge and aren't thinking about buying / away from their computers. Says the winter is when you want to go in.

What's the Strut's opinion on this? Does this hold any water?

Comments

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    It probably doesn't affect the high-dollar stuff, but everything else seems to get higher prices in the fall and winter; not just records, BTW...

• Woimsah said:
    away from their computers.

there's an app for that

• Options
    The winter climate caters to better selling.

• Kadink said:
    It probably doesn't affect the high-dollar stuff, but everything else seems to get higher prices in the fall and winter; not just records, BTW...

This is what I've noticed.

Grails seem to keep climbing, but middling stuff tanks in the summer (and is tanking in general).

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    So, Euros, is it safe to sell now?

• Options
    Haha, why do you say Euros? I've noticed a lot more them going to China than to Europe.

• China? I call bullshit.

• Options
    kidinquisitive said:
    China? I call bullshit.

What's your basis? Yeah I said China but I should have just said Asia, and I don't exclude Europe and even domestic buyers from the scenario.

I heard that all these places have computer programmers that browse the web for original records that weigh like 100 grams or more and that the programmers are hired by a reissuing record plant.

My basis for saying China is that I heard that China heard that we knew about their computer/reissuing scheme and as a result started sending people overseas to do some "crate digging revealed.".

Holla

haha -- I just want to hear it from some of those over the pond. do you guys stray from buying records during the summer months? are people back to relatively normal buying habits at this point of the year (early sept)?

• True, as far as I know.
    I'm from Greece, and in summer it's getting really really hot, nobody wants to stay near a computer (computer is heating even more the place). so you're just looking for a nice beach to chill.
    I've also checked that with many friends of mine, who don't touch computers for 1 maybe 2 months in the summer.
    Again, that's in Greece. Maybe the same thing is happening in countries like Spain, Italy,..which are mediterranean. It's safe to say that in northern Europe people aren't reacting this way towards computers in summer.

By the way, most records I've sold on the bay (talking about high prized stuff) went to Japan.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Euro man on "Holiday". October to May for eBay.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Summer is the time to buy (low); then later you can sell (high) to the Euroman when he gets back home.

RAJ said:
    Euro man on "Holiday". October to May for eBay.

Ah hah --- so October to May is the way to move. Gotcha.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Woimsah said:
    away from their computers.

there's an app for that

This is true, but a lot of my high-end customers think an 'app' is an appetizer.

A lot of the record-buying planet doesn't live in the I-World yet.

• lilmonstu said:
    kidinquisitive said:
    China? I call bullshit.

What's your basis? Yeah I said China but I should have just said Asia, and I don't exclude Europe and even domestic buyers from the scenario.

I heard that all these places have computer programmers that browse the web for original records that weigh like 100 grams or more and that the programmers are hired by a reissuing record plant.

My basis for saying China is that I heard that China heard that we knew about their computer/reissuing scheme and as a result started sending people overseas to do some "crate digging revealed.".

Holla

Yeah, you must be right about all that. My bad.

• Options
    Sorry, but I can't tell if you are being genuine or not.

Thank you

And the funniest thing about the whole trade is that some young adults bought a record here and hooked up responsibly while listening to it!

• Lilmonstu, may I ask what's your first language? What's your position on drugs?

As a Euroman I enjoy buying in the summer as the prices are indeed lower. However, I can't say I'm checking for my saved search emails while I'm on "Holiday."

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    kidinquisitive said:
    China? I call bullshit.

Holla

Can somebody ban this clown, already?

• Options
    hertzhog said:
    Lilmonstu, may I ask what's your first language? What's your position on drugs?

As a Euroman I enjoy buying in the summer as the prices are indeed lower. However, I can't say I'm checking for my saved search emails while I'm on "Holiday."

My first language is fun music! (I.e. Bill Withers - Lovely Day) And drugs...I've never done one in my life.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    tanking in general

Yeah, I've contemplated selling off 90% of my personal stash and rebuying everything a few years from now at probably 1/3 the price.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    wow, the same questions get asked year in, year out... without fail...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I avoid buying and selling in the summer because of heat damage which seems to show up on half the records I buy in the hott months.