Crate Digging in the Windy C

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I am going to be in Chicago for one day and I need advice on what the best digging spots are.

I've heard Jazz Record Mart is good - just wondering what everyone here thinks.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I've made some decent finds at Jazz Record Mart. Worth checking out.

for "boutique" digging, check dusty groove. They've got great stock. But no listening station, which is annoying.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hyde Park Records

• What are you looking for?

• Thanks for the advice!

Just looking for anything, but mostly Jazz, Soul, stuff I can play out or sample.

I like being surprised - Just looking at Dusty Groove online it seems like they already know what they've got (and the prices reflect that).

Some place that has great records, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I know - that's asking for a lot!

• RAJ - Just checked out Hyde Park Records online. That sounds like just the kind of place I'm looking for. Thanks!

• 2 places where you can happily spend your money

Kstarke Reocrds
    1109 North Western Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (773) 772-4880

kevin is a good dude and has all types of shit.

Mr Peabody
    11832 South Western Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60643-4734
    (773) 881-9299

mr peabody is one of my favorite record stores, ever. mark is that motherfuckin man. he has always sourced what i've wanted right there on the spot and then some. can't say enough about the good times i've had there drinking and bullshitting.

• Gaffler -

Thanks for the recommendations - Both of those spots sound amazing!

• If you're going to hit Dusty Groove and Kstarke, I would recommend a quick stop into Reckless Records on Milwaukee too. It's right by those two.
    Record Dugout (6055 W. 63rd) is decent too, but it's a bit off the path.
    I love gramaphone, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're interested in disco, house, and other electronic music.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I used to hit Hyde Park like crazy...the dusty section was ill. I don't know about nowadays because I didn't dig in the chi for 5 years at least...
    But I remember other spots that used to carry some cheap stuffs :
    -Reckless Records (one on N. Broadway, the other one on N Milwaukee ave, I just can't remember which one is ok, if any)
    -Dave's Records on N Clark
    -2nd Hand Tunes or something with 2nd Hand in the name of the store...around the Belmont area, but can't remember the exact street, sorry.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Don't we now have the City Guide section specifically for this purpose..?

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/City_Guide/C60/P0/

• izm707 said:

-2nd Hand Tunes or something with 2nd Hand in the name of the store...around the Belmont area, but can't remember the exact street, sorry.

There used to be a whole chain of Second Hand Tunes stores around the Chicago area, but none of them were on Belmont. These days there's only one 2HT remaining, in nearby Evanston, IL.

At this point in time there's only one record store on Belmont left, and that's Groovin' High, which appears to be open only intermittently...more than once I've passed by, during what would appear to be store hours, and the place was closed for the day.