Hating on the South-related

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I do not endorse the views expressed here; just thought it'd make some nice Tuesday night Strut-nip:

http://www.fuckthesouth.com/

Comments

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I do not endorse the views expressed here; just thought it'd make some nice Tuesday night Strut-nip:

I've met people who've express the same opinion, especially here in Oregon. They usually don't know shit about their own state (conservatism and racism related).

• Insufferable.

• Options
    Yes, it's inflammatory, but it's also filled with truth.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

sounds like someone from boston. they could learn some manners down south, but between the lines of potty mouth you can read some serious truth in that rant. delivered in true yankee fashion

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Did you note the date of this blog entry?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Assholism isn't partial to either side of the Mason-Dixon line.

• that was funny

• I haven't spent much time in the South but I'd be surprised if it's much more racist than parts of eastern Oregon and Wash that I've visited.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    Assholism isn't partial to either side of the Mason-Dixon line.

The rant isn't really about assholism. It's about a particular set of hypocrisies which (for whatever it's worth) IS concentrated in the South.

And it's meant to be funny in a Hicks-Kinison way. I remember reading it (and posting it in a few places) years ago. It's very well done.

The biggest difference between ignorance in the North and ignorance in the South is the accent.

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I haven't spent much time in the South but I'd be surprised if it's much more racist than parts of eastern Oregon and Wash that I've visited.

This may be true, but I don't see what relevance it has to the rant, which is written from a Northeastern perspective.

• I like the fact that this person keeps talking about Massachusetts...yeah buddy, there are NO racist people in Boston...I have never heard of any racial conflicts from that city. Also talking about Philadelphia...a city that wouldnt honor a REAL boxer like Joe Frazier with a statue, but puts up a statue of a pretend white boxer. The south's craziness and racism is out in the open, not that that aspect makes it ok, but there is just as much racist bullshit in the north, its just that it is hidden and mumbled...no difference really. Just substitute "south" with "white people" in his little tantrum and you would have the truth, instead you have a rant from an asshurt jerk-off.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I haven't spent much time in the South but I'd be surprised if it's much more racist than parts of eastern Oregon and Wash that I've visited.
    Its about the same. I was pointing more toward Portlanders who think their state was much better when it came to racism.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    The biggest difference between ignorance in the North and ignorance in the South is the accent.

I've been to the South often enough to know the difference between talk radio there and here in the North.

The difference is immense and more than a coincidence, I have to think. I blame most of it on fundamentalism, but Civil War hangover still seems to be a factor.

• Everywhere in the USA that isnt a big city is redneckville...anyone who says differently is lying or ignorant. The north does not have a monopoly on "enlightenment", it is just as racist and fucked as the south.

PelvicDust said:
    Rockadelic said:

I've been to the South often enough to know the difference between talk radio there and here in the North.

The difference is immense and more than a coincidence, I have to think. I blame most of it on fundamentalism, but Civil War hangover still seems to be a factor.

I'm sure you've seen the movie "Talk Radio"......you're judging millions of people based on those Talk Radio callers/followers.

You know better.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Everywhere in the USA that isnt a big city is redneckville...anyone who says differently is lying or ignorant. The north does not have a monopoly on "enlightenment", it is just as racist and fucked as the south.

I spent 3 days with my buddy's relatives in upstate Walton, NY and they were Deliverance scary.

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I like the fact that this person keeps talking about Massachusetts...yeah buddy, there are NO racist people in Boston...I have never heard of any racial conflicts from that city. Also talking about Philadelphia...a city that wouldnt honor a REAL boxer like Joe Frazier with a statue, but puts up a statue of a pretend white boxer. The south's craziness and racism is out in the open, not that that aspect makes it ok, but there is just as much racist bullshit in the north, its just that it is hidden and mumbled...no difference really. Just substitute "south" with "white people" in his little tantrum and you would have the truth, instead you have a rant from an asshurt jerk-off.

You know what's EXTREMELY FUNNY? The rant doesn't talk about racism AT ALL.

But defenders of Dixie think it does.

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.

• PelvicDust said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I like the fact that this person keeps talking about Massachusetts...yeah buddy, there are NO racist people in Boston...I have never heard of any racial conflicts from that city. Also talking about Philadelphia...a city that wouldnt honor a REAL boxer like Joe Frazier with a statue, but puts up a statue of a pretend white boxer. The south's craziness and racism is out in the open, not that that aspect makes it ok, but there is just as much racist bullshit in the north, its just that it is hidden and mumbled...no difference really. Just substitute "south" with "white people" in his little tantrum and you would have the truth, instead you have a rant from an asshurt jerk-off.

its there..inbetween the lines....dipshit mentions slavery/civil war right of the bat, if that isnt implying "south is racist" then I dont know what is....yeah its there, along with his crying about how "northern money" pays for shit in the south, you know, where they had SLAVES.

• PelvicDust said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

This may be true, but I don't see what relevance it has to the rant, which is written from a Northeastern perspective.

i was talking to bob.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'm sure you've seen the movie "Talk Radio"......you're judging millions of people based on those Talk Radio callers/followers.

You know better.

It's just nuts to ignore cultural differences.

It's not "judging" to recognize that there's a definite cultural difference between the South and the North.

Ignoring the influence of a seriously batty brand of Christianity that's clustered disproportionately in the South would be an act of intellectual laziness I'd rather not commit.

There is an urban myth that the North half of our country is in some way more intelligent than the South part of our country.

And some people need to believe this myth,

So they point out any dumb ass thing they can find about the South.

As if Sean O'Sullivan isn't drunk in some alley screwing the same dog Billy Bob dated last week.

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    PelvicDust said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

its there..inbetween the lines....dipshit mentions slavery/civil war right of the bat, if that isnt implying "south is racist" then I dont know what is....yeah its there, along with his crying about how "northern money" pays for shit in the south, you know, where they had SLAVES.

So he's supposed to write about the South without mentioning the Civil War because it hurts your feelings or something?

I'm still not seeing "racism" or "racist" anywhere in the piece, because it's not part of the equation.

He doesn't even mention that dumbass Confederate flag that's still plastered all over Dixie, and I sure would have. The only item that thing should still be printed on is toilet paper.

• Pelvic...whats your point? Jesus freaks that mistake faith for patriotism exsist? No shit. That there are a lot of "southern evangelicals" in the south? No shit. That this worldview sometimes creeps into public policy? No shit. Are you trying to say that somehow, by the magic of geography, that people of a higher latitude in the USA are disportionately taken advantage of ? How? The "culture" of the North is somehow more refined?
    I dont get what you are trying to say...

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    There is an urban myth that the North half of our country is in some way more intelligent than the South part of our country.

And some people need to believe this myth,

So they point out any dumb ass thing they can find about the South.

As if Sean O'Sullivan isn't drunk in some alley screwing the same dog Billy Bob dated last week.

It's not about intelligence.

It's about ignorance in a particular region being a political force - so strong that science textbooks have to defer to it in order to cater to backwards notions about an angry sky fairy.

The people in rural Afghanistan who support the Taliban may have the same median intelligence that people in Istanbul do. I don't know and I don't care. I won't pretend that there isn't a greater amount of ignorance in one of those places than in the other, though. Is there some reason I should?

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Pelvic...whats your point? Jesus freaks that mistake faith for patriotism exsist? No shit. That there are a lot of "southern evangelicals" in the south? No shit. That this worldview sometimes creeps into public policy? No shit. Are you trying to say that somehow, by the magic of geography, that people of a higher latitude in the USA are disportionately taken advantage of ? How? The "culture" of the North is somehow more refined?
    I dont get what you are trying to say...

Yeah, you're right, Oklahoma and Mississippi and Alabama have all the good colleges.

It's not the magic of geography, of course. It's the magic of wealth and history.

I don't get what you're trying to say. Are you saying there are no differences between the regions? Or just that it's impolite to mention them?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Its about the same. I was pointing more toward Portlanders who think their state was much better when it came to racism.

Apparently these Portlandians haven't gotten around Portland much either.
    Spend all there time on SE Hawthorne?

• PelvicDust said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    PelvicDust said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

So he's supposed to write about the South without mentioning the Civil War because it hurts your feelings or something?

I'm still not seeing "racism" or "racist" anywhere in the piece, because it's not part of the equation.

He doesn't even mention that dumbass Confederate flag that's still plastered all over Dixie, and I sure would have. The only item that thing should still be printed on is toilet paper.

Yeah, my feelings are hurt. Whatever. This person, in their little whiny ass tantrum goes from the civil war to TVA to gay marriage and tries to instill some sort of reasoning that they have the moral high ground because he/she lives in the northeast. He judges AN ENTIRE GEOGRAPHIC REGION, a region that gave the world jazz, soul, rock n roll, and some of the greatest American literature, cuisine....in short, culture, because of the civil war, TVA, and an anti-gay marriage sentiment stemming from some churches. Now you bring up the fucking confederate flag like EVERYONE in the south is flying the motherfucker...all with some bullshit intellectual slant about "if you cant recognize the cultrual differences blah blah blah" There are fucked up people on both sides of the Mason Dixon. No side has some sort of monopoly on shitty policy nor a monopoly on refinement. Like I stated earlier, it is out in the open in the south, but it is there in the north, in the militias, in city councils, everywhere...yeah a lot of northerners dont put it on a bumper sticker, but it is there.

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    This person, in their little whiny ass tantrum goes from the civil war to TVA to gay marriage and tries to instill some sort of reasoning that they have the moral high ground because he/she lives in the northeast. He judges AN ENTIRE GEOGRAPHIC REGION, a region that gave the world jazz, soul, rock n roll, and some of the greatest American literature, cuisine, in short, culture because of the civil war, TVA, and an anti-gay marriage sentiment stemming from some churches. Now you bring up the fucking confederate flag like EVERYONE in the south is flying the motherfucker...all with some bullshit intellectual slant about "if you cant recognize the cultrual differences blah blah blah" There are fucked up people on both sides of the Mason Dixon. No side has some sort of monopoly on shitty policy nor a monoply on refinement. Like I stated earlier it is out in the open in the south, but it is there in the north, in the militias, in city councils, everywhere...yeah a lot of northerners dont put it on a bumper sticker, but it is there.
    line...we both know this.

Of course we both know this.

I just think it's funny that Southerners can't seem to see the humor in this piece, and think the guy is totally serious. He's responding to all of that "Real America" crap and I think it's very funny. That he also does it with a strong factual basis and points out some very real, peculiarly red-state hypocrisy is a bonus that makes it all work.

A Southerner could write a similar piece about the North and you wouldn't see Northerners all honked off about it in a forum like this, because Northerners don't usually give enough of a shit to get pissed over a comedy piece.

David Cross grew up in Georgia and some of his material on the South makes this rant look like a puff piece.

• i stopped reading after seeing that his initial promise was already mistaken:

Cause we fucking founded this country, assholes. Those Founding Fathers you keep going on and on about? All that bullshit about what you think they meant by the Second Amendment giving you the right to keep your assault weapons in the glove compartment because you didn't bother to read the first half of the fucking sentence? Who do you think those wig-wearing lacy-shirt sporting revolutionaries were? They were fucking blue-staters, dickhead. Boston? Philadelphia? New York? Hello? Think there might be a reason all the fucking monuments are up here in our backyard?

half of the primary document writers (Madison, Jefferson, Washington anyone?) were from Virginia.

(edit):: just read the rest, it actually is pretty funny, and not too far off the mark.