Super-raers?

Comments

• Jazzsucka said:
    indiana45s said:
    Anyone ever seen
    Machine - s/t (Stang)?

I have only seen this once - in an Ebay auction several years ago. I can't remember the catalog no. or whether it was Stang or Turbo. There was a photo of the band surrounded by nuts and bolts on the cover. The entire thing screamed All-Platinum subsidiary.

Has the existence of this record ever been verified. I remember someone coming on the board a few years ago, and claiming to have found it. He said it had an instrumental version of "Why Cant People Be Colors Too" by the Whatnauts. The dude said he would post something, but never reported back. Fake find or Mythical raer?

I remember Chris from Groove Merchant talking about some lesbian record on All Platinum, and I can believe the group of labels has some incredibly rare stuff.

It's actually a LP of dialog from Transvestites. It's on one of the All Platinum subsids, maybe Maple? One Lp is them getting all Katty and talking shit. The other lp is truly sad, with them giving their life story about how they switched over and became trannys. Crazy Shit, and crazy rare.

• Anyone know this?

Steve Getz Quintet - recorded live at Mammoth Garden (1970)

Record label says "MARK - Custom Recording Division" - guessing this was not a label but a pressing plant?

• Has the existence of this record ever been verified. I remember someone coming on the board a few years ago, and claiming to have found it. He said it had an instrumental version of "Why Cant People Be Colors Too" by the Whatnauts. The dude said he would post something, but never reported back. Fake find or Mythical raer?

It's real...though the instrumental version of "Why Can't..." is false.

• 99Problems said:

Has the existence of this record ever been verified. I remember someone coming on the board a few years ago, and claiming to have found it. He said it had an instrumental version of "Why Cant People Be Colors Too" by the Whatnauts. The dude said he would post something, but never reported back. Fake find or Mythical raer?

I just found out that the auction I saw was captured by Popsike:
    http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4026108829

Too bad there is no picture, because it was, if memory serves me, pretty sick.

Someone should talk to the All Platinum people about this one because there has to be a reason it is so scarce. It makes other All Platinum/Stang raers look common by comparison.

Can't tell you if it is any good because the last guy I talked to who had it didn't want anyone else to know what it sounded like.

DIRECT DIGGER INFORMATION>>

The 3 member of machine are: DONALD MCCOY (DRUMS)/CURTIS MCTEER (BASS)/MICHAEL WATSON (LEAD GUITARS, & VOCALS).Background vocals are by the WHATNAUTS. Additional instruments are Organ and piano, percussion, trumpet and sax.Those players are: RAY JONES (ORGAN & PIANO)/FRANK PRESCOD (BASS)/BUNCH HERNDON (PERCUSSION)/DEE & CORDY PRIDGES (TRUMPET & SAX).

Let the games begin....

• indiana45s said:
    99Problems said:

I just found out that the auction I saw was captured by Popsike:
    http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4026108829

Too bad there is no picture, because it was, if memory serves me, pretty sick.

Someone should talk to the All Platinum people about this one because there has to be a reason it is so scarce. It makes other All Platinum/Stang raers look common by comparison.

Can't tell you if it is any good because the last guy I talked to who had it didn't want anyone else to know what it sounded like.

DIRECT DIGGER INFORMATION>>

The 3 member of machine are: DONALD MCCOY (DRUMS)/CURTIS MCTEER (BASS)/MICHAEL WATSON (LEAD GUITARS, & VOCALS).Background vocals are by the WHATNAUTS. Additional instruments are Organ and piano, percussion, trumpet and sax.Those players are: RAY JONES (ORGAN & PIANO)/FRANK PRESCOD (BASS)/BUNCH HERNDON (PERCUSSION)/DEE & CORDY PRIDGES (TRUMPET & SAX).

Let the games begin....

What I would like to know is, how does one talk to the "All Platinum people"? And why hasn't there been a Wax Poetics article about Sylvia Robinson + All Platinum labels up to Sugarhill? i would even buy a book about this subject. The quality of the rare soul records on those labels is astounding.

b/w

Has anybody here ever had or heard the Susan Phillips "Soft Sexy Soul" LP (pictured on the right)?

• I thinking he means that Dave Babe Cortez tune "Funk Shack East", that's an instrumental of that tune...

• Opiated_Black said:
    Supposedly only two copies of this. Davis has the other. None at Hamberlin's house.

is there an mp3 of this some where?

• img src="front" alt="" />

img src="back" alt="" />

img src="label" alt="" />

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Man, I want to know who bought that damn Tony Done 7".

Rey, not you I assume?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Man, I want to know who bought that damn Tony Done 7".

Rey, not you I assume?
    Nah, not me. It went for way more than I expected/sniped. Definitely going in the RSS.

I'm still trying to figure out where the single is from. The only 2 copies I know of were both found in Austin.

mannybolone said:
    I'm still trying to figure out where the single is from. The only 2 copies I know of were both found in Austin.
    There's a Vance Records out of Oakland but I don't know if it's the same label. Seems possible from the cat. #'s. (DV-...)

Check out some of the scans here: http://stanleyandbianca.com/label_images.php

And:

Ah, fascinating. I had, naturally, assumed it was out of Hollywood CA given the name of the group though the sound of the single was also very NYC. The only two people I knew who owned the thing was Steve from Big City who found his copy in Austin as well as Office Naps' Little Danny who is also based in Austin I believe.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Pretty cool EP. But $450? Damn.

Would either of you be willing to pay that $$ for this thing?

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    nice read here!

dont have much to offer but i??d love to know how many copies or Exciters - The Brown 7" are arround if someone got a clue?

doisn said:
    nice read here!

dont have much to offer but i??d love to know how many copies or Exciters - The Brown 7" are arround if someone got a clue?

I have one (but it's not the copy that went for $500 a couple years back!).

musica said:
    Pretty cool EP. But $450? Damn.

Would either of you be willing to pay that $$ for this thing?

Naw. I think I'd peak out around $100 or so for it. I really love that version of the song but in terms of opportunity cost, there's a shitload of other hard-to-find records I'd sooner spend $450 on.

BTW: speaking of which...

BOOYAH! http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-Soul-45-SCORPIO-HIS-PEOPLE-the-unforgiven-Hear_W0QQitemZ350390115312QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo=MW&its=C&itu=UCC&otn=5&ps=63&clkid=5844666416051300667#ht_2593wt_954

I don't mean to be greedy but I really want to hear the entire 45. Sounds pretty fucking fly.

b/w

For VG-, this sounds pretty damn good (at least the A-side. B-side is crunchier but it clearly hasn't dimmed enthusiasm amongst the bidders.

musica said:
    doisn said:
    nice read here!

I doubt these are really "numerically rare"...it's more that it's geographic distance limits the number which would work their way up out of Panama.

mannybolone said:
    musica said:
    doisn said:
    nice read here!

I doubt these are really "numerically rare"...it's more that it's geographic distance limits the number which would work their way up out of Panama.

also got one myself and its also a different pressing (yellow label loyola, anyone know which was first?) then the one auctioned. so i was assuming there was many pressed back then, but hence population of panama in the 60/70??s and add the fact that most of these got wrecked, dumped it??s very hard to track down a copy even round the isthmus! That said i only know a few copys that changed hands after it got popular.
    I also think that most "rare" records were pressed in bigger quantitys but the fact that it is/was/willbe great music which got played out and wrecked shrinkened the amount available dramatically over the years!

Mine is the orange label press from Costa Rica and I'm pretty sure it's the first press (loyola/ Yamato pressed everything there for a while there)

Should read Tamayo.

musica said:
    Should read Tamayo.

Fugg that. Ride for Yamato!

well, not really shure about this, a lot of early albums state "hecho en panama" from lables like Tamayo, Sally Ruth,Loyola & Taboga/Discos Isthmenos. I assume some were pressed in both countrys. would be interessting to know whats in your runout? im @ work now, but as far as i remember it was nr.424 on the label and considering the rather high cat. number there has been many before. I??m pretty sure i have lower cat. number loyola orange label pressings stating made in panama at home.

Despite this, i assume this one was pressed in thousands but got "raer" over the times as it hardly shows up.

doisn said:
    well, not really shure about this, a lot of early albums state "hecho en panama" from lables like Tamayo, Sally Ruth,Loyola & Taboga/Discos Isthmenos. I assume some were pressed in both countrys. would be interessting to know whats in your runout? im @ work now, but as far as i remember it was nr.424 on the label and considering the rather high cat. number there has been many before. I??m pretty sure i have lower cat. number loyola orange label pressings stating made in panama at home.

Despite this, i assume this one was pressed in thousands but got "raer" over the times as it hardly shows up.

Yeah, you are right. I just got home and double checked my copy. 424A and it is in fact a Panama press (it says "Hecho En Panama" real small just underneath the scorpion shield logo). Checking popsike, it is identical the one auctioned off.

So, is your copy on this Loyola label variation?

The above noted, I remember from one of my conversations with Beto that indeed most Loyola stuff was pressed in Costa Rica for a certain time period, as pressing costs were lower or something to that effect.

musica said:
    doisn said:

Yeah, you are right. I just got home and double checked my copy. 424A and it is in fact a Panama press (it says "Hecho En Panama" real small just underneath the scorpion shield logo). Checking popsike, it is identical the one auctioned off.

So, is your copy on this Loyola label variation?

The above noted, I remember from one of my conversations with Beto that indeed most Loyola stuff was pressed in Costa Rica for a certain time period, as pressing costs were lower or something to that effect.

nope, its more like this:

but yellow label and as far as i remember the bands name is printed in some smaller bold letters. also i think its not stated where it was manufactured. anyway, its a great single, which kills me everytime i drop the needle on it and i will do so tomorrow when i get up and let you know what else hints i can find out.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Is he the guy who has the original Verocai? I forget. :cheese:

• The yellow label variation. Wider grooves than the usual Loyola pressings. Found in Southern California, late 90s, $4.00.
    Attached files