First of September finds

2»

Comments

• upski: is that mike melvoin record any good? "keys to your mind" sounds promising....

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    upski: is that mike melvoin record any good? "keys to your mind" sounds promising....

late 60s piano laden inst album, switching between acoustic electric and hapsicord, mixed covers and orig's, nothing too mind blowing, pretty much sounds like u would expect, has its funky 60s swinging parts which im not all that crazy about, that said theres definitely a couple moments on here that i dig also.. but as a whole, prolly not quite as dope as the cover pic would suggest ;)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    that Melvoin record is horrible.

I am, however, pretty jealous of that Manfred Mann, Soul of Mann.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Thrift store finds...the private label Jewish records have some electric instrumentation mixed with traditional Yiddish folk. The Estamira on Dor?? from '77 was one of the last 45s released by the label. Hard rock. Freddy Quiroz had a Wes Montgomery record in it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• rock: spark one up and listen to "dom's tune" on that dom um romao lp. best joe beck guitar work i ever heard.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    A few things I picked up this past week.

• wayne mcghie!!!!!!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    wayne mcghie!!!!!!

That record is so ill. I've been looking for that for EVER.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    yesterdays flea finds

b/w

breez are you showin of a new watch?

• upskiboo said:

What is this like? I have "Sacrifice" which is OK, but haven't checked out their other stuff.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Flea market finds from last weekend:

The highlight was definitely Original Popcorn (EGG) for $2. Never thought I would find a copy at a flea in Oslo/Norway. The seller had only one box of easy listening records. God knows how Original Popcorn ended up in his possession together with the easy listening stuff.

I now have both the french (EGG) and the german (Barclay) pressing. Is it any difference between them? Any of them rare than the other one?

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Strings said:
    Flea market finds from last weekend:

The highlight was definitely Original Popcorn (EGG) for $2. Never thought I would find a copy at a flea in Oslo/Norway. The seller had only one box of easy listening records. God knows how Original Popcorn ended up in his possession together with the easy listening stuff.

I now have both the french (EGG) and the german (Barclay) pressing. Is it any difference between them? Any of them rare than the other one?

WOW...Great find on the 'Popcorn' mate.

:killin_it:

• haze25 said:
    Reynaldo said:
    musica said:
    Reynaldo said:

Clips? Looks hott
    "No Molestes Mas" (peep the beat change)
    "Pepe El Toro

Is that THE Paquito Guzman? My mother is in love with that dude, didn't know he did stuff this early on.

peace,xavier

If you guys like this Tommy Olivencia record, seek out Trucu-tu, his first on Tioly (which was Tommy's label). Or grab the cheaper "La Nueva Sensaci??n Musical De Puerto Rico" on Inca, which is "Trucu-tu" repackaged with one or two extra songs.
    Also, "No Molestes Mas" was written by Ray Barretto, its on 45 and not super rare. Great song.
    Last, Paquito Guzman actually recorded first with Joe Quijano back in the late 50s/early 60s. he's more well known for the salsa romantica of the late 70s/early 80s, but the man is deep and goes way back in the NY game.

• best thing i found so far this month - bobby lynn - earthquake 7"

Cosmophonic said:
    upskiboo said:

What is this like? I have "Sacrifice" which is OK, but haven't checked out their other stuff.

yeah, i had that sacrifice album at one point too, a few +10 years ago actually, a greenish demon dude on the cover or something right ?.. recall thinking the tracks where sorta lame back then, maybe would have been more able to appreciate it today, i dunno.. ?
    anyway this, which i think might be their second album, is not that exciting either, uk organ psych rock, funky at times, bluesy or jazzy also, a little bit of brass here and there.. do like the first track though!

Craig said:
    Strings said:
    Flea market finds from last weekend:

WOW...Great find on the 'Popcorn' mate.

:killin_it:

The french one is the original press..

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    yeah, i had that sacrifice album at one point too, a few +10 years ago actually, a greenish demon dude on the cover or something right ?.. recall thinking the tracks where sorta lame back then, maybe would have been more able to appreciate it today, i dunno.. ?

It's still lame. Nice one on the three Ivanhoes.

• A few more finds this morning... about to dive into around 500 albums here at 4:30pm that are untouched from a guy that has been hording them for several decades.

Phil Flowers & the Choraleers- God is Near (1962 on Mount Vernon Music) Yes, that is the same Phil Flowers we all know.
    Casiopea on Alfa
    Yutaka on Alfa
    The Gates of Heaven Gospel Choir- Hallelujah (Mount Vernon Music as well)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like Yutaka

• m_dejean said:
    upskiboo said:

It's still lame. Nice one on the three Ivanhoes.

I overpaid :(

It does have some awesome moments though. The introductory organ freakout is brilliant. Still kinda want the DVD:

• I wasn't very productive at work today, however an early morning stop to a thrift store netted some cheap 45s with these 2 highlights and a trip to a normally beat record store netted these LPs. Joe Torres and call it soul Lps were labeled throwaways and i nabbed for free, both in great condition!

Also thanks to J. Paychex for some cool rekkids in NYC last weekend!!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    I had some time off yesterday to go to my fav spot in utrecht.

and some stuff jan (record palace ) kept behind for me.

3 ethiopean greek press

tewat mata tekazie - tilahun gessesse
    kab nab - tewelde redda
    aifalkn gerhnetei - osman abduahim ( is this on a comp yet? )

the jeanette, marc ayran, werner drexler, nicoletta and tony vos are doubles so holleur