Foul Language In Public?

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Was just reading about the U.S. Open and thought I'd run this by y'all.

Vile language in public....Not a problem or Not a good look?

If someone calls you out on it do you tell them to F*ck Off or apologize and stop?

Comments

• stands out down here

when a certain new york friend comes for a visit
    it gets cringe worthy

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    foul language in general is not a good look. maybe with friends some times. but i try to refrain from using it. the more you use it the less you think about using it thus creating some uncalled for situations.

i seriously know some one who said "fusk" and "sheit" in a job interview and they didn't even know it.

bad look all around...

• I'd say if you were in a place where there are mothers with children and old folks, then yeah keep the bad language down.

A big problem nowadays in the UK with young men and women, especially on weekends when they are often drunk out of their heads...

• That was the u.s. open? I thought that was Jersey Shore?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sheeeit, Ill use muthafucka in a muthafuckin heartbeat.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    I'd say if you were in a place where there are mothers with children and old folks, then yeah keep the bad language down.

Yeah, this. I have no problem using expletives around friends (or in certain public place like bars), but generally, I keep it clean in public.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Along with spitting in public, it's for children.

[x] BAD LOOK

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If you keep it clean 99.9% of the time that .1% can be used for great comedic or (angry) effect.

• LaserWolf said:
    If you keep it clean 99.9% of the time that .1% can be used for great comedic or (angry) effect.

There's a guy that I've worked with for 15 years. Partner, Yale, Columbia, clerked for Thurgood Marshall, Cravath. I always think of him as a gentleman and real class act. When I want to be really pro, I ask myself, what would D do? In those 15 years, I heard him drop the F-bomb once, and I'll never forget it. I was shocked.

• Options
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:

There's a guy that I've worked with for 15 years. Partner, Yale, Columbia, clerked for Thurgood Marshall, Cravath. I always think of him as a gentleman and real class act. When I want to be really pro, I ask myself, what would D do? In those 15 years, I heard him drop the F-bomb once, and I'll never forget it. I was shocked.

There's a guy I've worked with for 3 years. Grew up in Brooklyn, served in the Marines, and has been a fireman in Brownsville and South Jamaica for the last 28 years. When I have a question about tactics, I ask, what would T do? In a five minute span recently while he was telling a story at dinner, he dropped the F-bomb 38 times (we counted), and no one batted an eye. I kept eating.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I swear a lot. More so when I get excited and/or pissed off.
    Every time I start a new job, I worry and pay extra attention. But I have been lucky (or not, depending on how you look at it), every boss/environment I've worked in is curse-friendly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not swearing up a storm, but I do use the f-word a couple of times a week in a work situation.

Not so cool is when I'm with the highschool students. I've never used fck around them, but the word shit has come out a couple of times. That needs to stop.

Around my friends who have kids - the babies, whatever, but the toddlers and up, I watch it.

If someone in public asked me to stop, I would. An apology would depend on the situation.

• Does T ever visit Coffin Joe?

• I've been trying to better myself by not cussing period, but man it's hard. I use replacement words and end up sounding (to myself and I'm sure others too) like some weirdo religious dude. Also, I feel stupid for putting asterisks in place of vowels when typing cuss words 'cause it's the same thing really. I flip flop on that one a lot.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I come from a family of real bad cussers, my grandparents are/were the worst. From the time I was little there has always gratuitous use of various swear words. I'll never forget the first time I used fusk in front of my Dad, I was about 4 or 5 & was met with "what the fusk did you just say???!!!" lol
    They seriously don't even know they're bad, it's kinda funny & just how things are I guess. I definitely had to curb it myself when I started teaching, the classroom is not the place to let things fly. It can be tough though to break the habit.
    It doesn't really bother me, but I definitely notice it in strangers a lot more in public now that I'm older & sometimes even cringe at it if it's really bad & really public from some random person.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hello friends,

I try to be mindful of my language, in general.

Stubbing my toe will elicit an "F" or seeing something outrageous (youtube "dancing merengue dog) will elicit a "Holy Sh**"

Kindly,
    parallax

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Got told to clean up my language at the playground the other day. I took it well.

• I swear way too much.

I also swear way too much in public.

I know it's not a good look, but I am bad about that. If told? Never a problem to watch my mouth- mostly, I'm just unaware of the problem, as at this point saying "fuck," is akin to saying, "the".

• When I was younger I worked at Starbucks and Janice Dickonson was a regular. She came in every morning, got her coffee, and talked on the phone, loudly spewing obscenities like one would expect. I didn't give a fuck, though. Fuckin say what you feel. I generally tend not to cuss in public unless it's for a reason but that's me, do you.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    When I was younger I worked at Starbucks and Janice Dickonson was a regular. She came in every morning, got her coffee, and talked on the phone, loudly spewing obscenities like one would expect. I didn't give a fuck, though. Fuckin say what you feel. I generally tend not to cuss in public unless it's for a reason but that's me, do you.

avoiding being like Janice Dickinson has to be a good thing...

abstaining from gratuitous f-bombs makes the ones you do go for hit that much HOARDER yahurdme

a time for everything...

• I do curse a lot casually but when around the public I try to reign it in for the childrens. But as far as cursing in general is concerned I'm with Kurt Vonnegut: "Profanity and obscenity entitle people who don't want unpleasant information to close their minds to you." I try to keep it in check but there's sometimes when articulation just needs an f-bomb as an exclamation point.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I have a proper potty mouth. I keep it in check around children and in meetings but outside that it's an integral part of my vocab. I think/hope that most people are pretty desensitized to it these days though so as long as you're not effin and blinding loudly on public transport and the like it's pretty much accepted as the way of the world.