Why message boards exist ... or not

carnivalthudcarnivalthud 7 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I have no idea whether they are supposed to be communities or dumping grounds for neuroses, or communities made out of dumping grounds, or whatever the fourth option is.

Anyway, drag me to hell . . . I think talking about record cleaning is about as fun as 2nd degree murder, but something's bugging me and I didn't know where else to turn. That makes this sound like a 24-hour helpline.

Was playing a Saturn ('Media Dreams") earlier, which of course was kind of noisy. Gave it a cleaning with fluid just in case. Now I swear it sounds worse. Did I make this up? Is it possible to do such harm to vinyl unless you make a point of pressing down hard while wiping?

Seriously, I'm not looking for a clinic here, just interested how in hearing how likely it is that I'm not making this all up.

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Maybe you pushed all the dirt and stuff farther into the grooves. Start a blog thread so you can talk about your feelings, or maybe I'll just start one for you. Dirty records are not the end of the world. Sometimes they aren't going to get any cleaner, and you just have to leave it at that.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    You might want to double check your circle of "record friends" and see if anyone has a VPI record cleaner / vacuum. If you did in fact press any dirt, dust, etc into the grooves this might be your only hope. If no one can help you, try the old wood glue trick. If you're already convinced the record is f**ked what can this hurt? Or you can take the loss and just dig for another copy. Good Luck!!

• You got me there. Here I had thought that feelings were the end of the world and the root of all records.

• Breez said:
    You might want to double check your circle of "record friends" and see if anyone has a VPI record cleaner / vacuum. If you did in fact press any dirt, dust, etc into the grooves this might be your only hope. If no one can help you, try the old wood glue trick. If you're already convinced the record is f**ked what can this hurt? Or you can take the loss and just dig for another copy. Good Luck!!

Yeah, I'm guessing I'll get to a VPI, though the fear remains!

All craziness aside, Sun Ra sounding like a 78 is a nice touch, like when we found out that the Predator built Aztec pyramids.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If it's a 1970 or beyond LP, try alcohol on it diluted slightly with water.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I got a used VPI a couple months ago. Extremely happy with my purchase.