Can we do a MicStrut thread???

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
I have a home studio that was made for production but out of financial necessity I had to start doing vocal sessions for a fee. I borrowed an AudioTechnica AT4050 which i really like. It's a tube mic supposedly. I gotta give it back in a few days, it's from a big working studio and they r gonna miss it.

Anyway are any Strutters doin' it like this? I know somebody records vocals, not just vinyls.

I'm looking for a condenser tube mic but post up your picks, whatever.

1. Favorite on a budget
2. Decent mid-level piece
3. That CRACK!!!!!

or let this thread slip into the graveyard of soulstrut obscurity.

Comments

• SM7, SM7 Mexico made or SM7B or RE20 is all you will need for budget hip hop vocals. End of thread.

• Fersho,fersho those are standards I plan on getting but how about the not on a budget or mid level?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've been using the Blue baby bottle mic for close to 5 yrs and I'm very happy with it. But you need a good pre-amp. The mic alone won't be nothing without a good, quality pre-amp, you wouldn't want a Ferrari sitting on some pizza cutters. But if you're on like a $500 budget, go with a Blue (Company, not color) mic. Good Luck!!

• no budget?

Than a U67, a U47, a U87 and a C12. All vintage, original and in mint condition.

Which would probably cost no less than $50K even in questionable condition.

Mic collecting is one of the oldest gentlemen sports.

As far as the blue baby bottle, I have a real , original nuemann CMV-563 i got NOS out of bulgaria, paperwork inside says it was manufactured october 1969 - with an M7 Capsule. The blue (formerly red) bottle rocket system is a good modern combination of that and the RFT Hitler jammies.

The 563 is my favorite mic of all time and still a sleeper mic.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yeah i have a couple of different mics i use i have a ratty old tube mic i use for most vocals, a couple of old radioshack mics (dont front , they sound good for certain things) and a shure sm57, nuthin super $$$ and they do the trick!

• Rode NT1 gets my vote

and remember, your preamp is very important, valve is the best way to go.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Great thread. As always on this site, some very solid recommendations already. I'm working on renting a house that used to have a recording studio in it. Going to fix it up and run sessions out of it. That's why I haven't been spending much time on the strut lately. Also, I recently started temporarily working out of SAM ASH MUSIC. So, I sell Mics at work.

The #1 thing to understand is a good Preamp and a little compression will make any microphone sound better.

Presonus BlueTube ($250)
    FMR Really Nice Preamp ($500)
    Golden Age Pre-73 ($300)
    Avalon VT-737sp Compressor, Eq, Preamp ($2300)

Decent Cheap Condensers. Rode Nt1a ($200), Studio Projects B1 ($100), Audio Technica AT2020 ($150).

Also check out the Marshall Tube condenser mic MXLV69ME ($300). Good price, and sounds great.
    I used it on my album, and it was the best sounding mic for the lead singer of my band LIZ.

Co-sign on the Sm7b ($350) and RE-20 for Emcees ($400). I'm always astounded why so many rappers use the Baby Blue? I don't get it.

When you start getting ready to spend over 1000 on a mic. Look into Neumann of course the infamouse U-87, and a microphone that I just adore Royer SF-24V, Tube Ribbon microphone *sigh*.

Recording is a fucking expensive hobby.

- spidey

• Great answers. Spidy you work at the one on sunset? I'll come and bug you. haha jk

As far as pres go, I have a digi 003 which I heard have just OK pres. For now I think it's fine but I'd like to upgrade eventually/

Does anybody know about the Shure BG 2.0? I have one I picked up along the way. It seems comparable to a sm57/8 but I'm not sure.

I'm going to record some side by side comparisons with the borrowed tube mic to see if i could get away with using the Shure at least for a couple of weeks till i decide on what mics i want.

Mic collecting is one of the oldest gentlemen sports.

I can see how this could be addictive.

Keep posting. Good stuff.

• Well, here's the thing about tube gear. You need two things for the Tube gear to be worth anything, good tubes and a very good power supply. 90% of the tube gear that is peddled is lacking both, and often times has a cornball 12ax7 jammed inside for no other purpose but to call it "tube" gear. Alot of tube gear that sounds good is because the 600 ohm tube requires a transformer and the transformer adds more saturation or color than the tube. For instance, the best sounding mic pre of all time IMO and many others (or at least most often duplicated and imitated) is a solid state design, the Neve 1073 a class a single side supply discrete design. Used on more hits than any other pre in the history of music. More colored than most tube gear becasue of the single side supply and the amazing input and output tranny's.

The point is that unless you are spending more than a G, you are probably better off sticking to solid state than using budget tube designs.

Now, assuming you are in the under 1000$ range, I really like the Avantone line, made in china but with capsule QC in the states, they work really really well and hold their own against more expensive designs. I particularly like the stereo mic for drum overhead and room mic, amazingly held it's own against a U64 pair (i was shocked too).

Stepping up into the vintage realm, I really think the U47 FET solid state version is a great mic for the money, and can be a little snappier than the U47 tube.

As far as preamp goes, again ,I would stay away from most (excludin Fearn and a few manleys) modern tube designs.

For the money, if it were my money, I would buy one used API 512C in good condition and a SM57, a SM7B and a Avantone CK-6. roughly $1000 and more than enough variation to track anything you ever would need.

again, just my opinion.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thought I'd throw this in. For the money, this is a solid LDC and has served me well.

http://www.seelectronics.com/sE2200a.html

• I just did a side by side comparison of the AT4050 and the BG 2.0 just to see if I could survive the weekend without a new mic. Fuckin aye the AT had more detail and warmth. The sound had a "closer" presence. The BG 2.0 which is a performance based dynamic mic lacked some detail, seemed more flat. I'm sure the fact that it has a dent in it doesn't help but it's made like a tank.

I just gave back the AT4050 so now I'm fuscced, with only 300 on hand. I have a session Saturday.

I just don't want these vocals I record to sound budget. These are paying clients and deserve better. I guess I'm headed to the mic spot.

• GET AN SM7B, two different sounds with or without the pop filter/with or without the HPF

im telling you, I've seen it get chosen over 2-3K$ microphones. It just works.

btw, the digi002 pre needs to go not now but right now too.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    GET AN SM7B, two different sounds with or without the pop filter/with or without the HPF

im telling you, I've seen it get chosen over 2-3K$ microphones. It just works.

btw, the digi002 pre needs to go not now but right now too.

You're pretty much convincing me. The pre's are diggi003. Are they the same as the 002? They seem kinda caca either way. I had the Digi001 and I believe the reason it had such a high trade in value was for the fourscite pres. Not sure but i got a grand off my 003 on the trade in.

• I would describe the 002/003 pres as crunchy and bright, not exactly flattering. The SM7B wiht the pop filter on is very boomy and middy, very good for almost all male voices and can handle exceedingly high SPL.

Here's the trick though, record the level on PT no louder than -10 on the meter. If you touch yellow you went to far. It's not tape so there is no noise floor and thus no reason to hit PT so hard, it will sound the same infinitely down (give or take a few bits of resolution) This will free up alot of headroom on the built in pre.

good luck with it and have a great session

• i have a home studio and only 1 mic that doubles as two. The sm-58.

Unscrew the pop screen? boom - sm57.

Its not the best vocal mic but for bedroom studio steez it works just fine. i need to step up my mic game though for real.

a decent mic and better monitors are the next investment.

• I got an Rode NTK running through a RNP preamp.

One my budget, couldn't really ask for more. The NTK is quite flavourful, but not muddy. And the RNP is very clean. But ive heard people have problems with both in terms of saturation or noize...

• I know you've seen one of these before but this is my new one.

When I tried it out I was kinda blown away by how brittle it sounded. It lacked some upper lows. I was a little concerned but I figured it was the mid boost. I switched it off and tried it again. Now I'm intrigued. Very nice detail and much warmer. I left the low roll off as is. I can't wait to hear how the bros sound this weekend. on it

Good looks 4year and everybody on the recommends. Keep it goin'.

BTW you really do have to crank the pre on this one. I'm about to read the thread again for mic pre recommends.

so this might seem like a stupid question, what is the point of having a MicPre? i have a mackie 1604 that i plug my mic's directly into via XLR w/phantom power or 1/4inch, i know that mackie is usually toted with having fairly good gear and good mic pre's, am i going to benefit from a mic pre?

i did some googling on mic pre's but most of the info seemed to refer to shit mixers with shitty mic pre's, not sure i fall into that catagory.... i even took a poke over here: http://www.tweakheadz.com/microphone_preamps.htm

i somewhat live by the moto that "if it aint broke, dont try to fix it" and i have been recording my music the same way for about 15 years or so...i just seems lil lost on this mic pre shit...

• what is the point of having a MicPre?

It just depends on what gear you have and what sound you want. Some preAmps add color to the recording that's desirable. If you have a bomb ass board and don't need it, more power to you.

I took an artistic photo for a promo studio write up. I only take clients through referral but a little hype can't hurt at this point.

I'm interning a CAD e200 this weekend. I don't know anything about it but I'll fux with it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I need to upgrade my mic (but this is podcast-related, not screaming vocals) and am wondering if I can get away with one that plugs into my Apogee Duet and coasts on its built-in phantom power?

• You will only need phantom power if you are using a condenser mic, large or small diaphragm. A dynmaic mic or ribbon mic will not need the phantom power but as such will need much more gain, such as the SM7 pictured above, which, IIRC needs about 60dbs to get up to snuff. As with the SM7 above, that and an RE20 were developed to be broadcast, generally male announcer microphones and as such they are excellent male vocal mics.

As for mic pres, here's a checklist I use if you want to know how a mic pre will sound:

Is it tube or solid state?
    Is it made in China?
    Does it have input and output transfromers?
    What DC rail does it run on and is it internal or externally powered?
    What is the gain staging - input or input and output (allowing you to drive the preamp but not the output level)

The answers to these initial questions will give an indication of how it will handle transients, high spl, high gain, etc. which in turn will give you an idea of how it will sound.

Tubes being better is a complete misnomer in pro audio, and there are still tons of vintage sleeper units that can be had (single channel) for a few hundred dollars that will kick the living daylights out of anything in modern production, mostly because they just don't make trannys like they used too. For modern production i prefer strict adherence to vintage design and schematic, such as Brent Averille Enterprises modules and his former mentee Avedis Audio.
    Other than that, an API 512c which was designed 40+ years ago will put you in the diminishing returns area beyond that, and as i stated, those can be picked up for +- $600 on ebay right now.

• cad-e200
    CAD E-200
    It's not an expensive mic but it sounds real nice, it's made in Ohio, and it looks good. Looking forward to today's session.

4YearGraduate said:
    You will only need phantom power if you are using a condenser mic, large or small diaphragm. A dynmaic mic or ribbon mic will not need the phantom power but as such will need much more gain,

Knowledge dropped. I'm currently using a mega-cheap Radio Shack dynamic mic which runs into the instrument (i.e. 1/4 inch) input on my Duet but as you noted, I have to jack up the gain on that sucker and Asa result, there's a faint hum in my recordings. I know I need to upgrade at some point but I'm looking to get out cheap: under $100. This is strictly for podcasting, not a home studio. I don't want to bring my mixer into the set-up so maybe a cheap condenser mic is a better option than a mic + pre-amp?

Mic question:

Do microphone covers (that you slide on) and pop filters perform the same functions? Does it make sense to get both or, if the goal here is to reduce popping Ps, which one makes more sense to purchase?

^^ yeah man i believe it would be the same ive always used a popperstopper or a hanger/pantyhose dealy.. works just as good!

• 48volts48volts 18 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Mic question:

Do microphone covers (that you slide on) and pop filters perform the same functions? Does it make sense to get both or, if the goal here is to reduce popping Ps, which one makes more sense to purchase?

Not really. The cover that you put on is a windscreen for use outside, where a pop filter is designed to break up plosives (pops).

The Re20 that thes mentioned is an awesome, afforbable mic for podcasting. It has a built in pop filter and no proximity effect. Sounds real rich and warm on male vox. It also is great for kick drum, bass, sax's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/76681-REG/Electro_Voice_F01U117389_RE20_Cardoid_Voiceover.html

• 48volts48volts 18 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Knowledge dropped. I'm currently using a mega-cheap Radio Shack dynamic mic which runs into the instrument (i.e. 1/4 inch) input on my Duet but as you noted, I have to jack up the gain on that sucker and Asa result, there's a faint hum in my recordings. I know I need to upgrade at some point but I'm looking to get out cheap: under $100. This is strictly for podcasting, not a home studio. I don't want to bring my mixer into the set-up so maybe a cheap condenser mic is a better option than a mic + pre-amp?

For under a $100 get a Shure 58. You have to hold it right up to your lips for it to sound the best, but for under a $100, it cant really be beat.

Thanks folks.

The Shure doth get the love but I keep hearing the GLS knock-offs of the 58 are just as good (and 1/3rd the price).

• The AKG C414 B is thee best microphone for under a thousand dollars...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i wish there were more gear related threads.
    thes is on point with the recommendations.
    i ended up gettin a CMV 563 sometimes last year and it has been my go to mic for vocals, but also kick drum and percussion. its not cheap but there is a big difference when you put it up against a budget mic attempting to emulate the same sound.
    i have had a studio projects c1 for quite a few years and that thing can sound pretty damn good if its on the right source. its a budget mic i dont mind rollin with.