Unbelievable digs that you DID pick up that deserve to be bragged about.

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
I found a sealed copy of RAMP last year for $1 at a Goodwill. (Wound up trading it to someone on here)
Whatnauts "Reaching for the stars" with 2 copies inside for $1 as well as a copy of Honey & The Bees "Love" LP at the same Goodwill, same day for $1.
Sterling Harrison "One size fits all" LP at a thrift store for $1. (Got damn near $500 for it)

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I picked up a copy of Bob French "Yer comes the funky man" for 25 cents at a thrift about six years ago. I ended up auctioning on here for the Katrina Heatrocks. I think that's the biggest score I've come across in terms of cost to worth ratio.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Mint promo 7" of the Jackson Sisters "I Believe in Miracles" for $2, Klute OST for $0, Willie Tee - I'm Only A Man for $4 etc. etc. We've had this convo before, but we could go on and on with this.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yeah, too many to recall.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Roy Ayers - He's Coming mint for free
    Kool and the Gang - S/T mint for free
    Meters - S/T mint for free
    --- and those three were from the same place at the same time

Just off the top ---
    Magnum for $19.00 -- totally weird price, have a feeling it was from a pricing guide
    Denise LaSalle - I'm So Hot promo 12" for 0.95 (at the same place I got the Magnum)
    Live Convention for 2.99

And then there's what happened on a daily basis at Aaron's records....oye. Don't even want to discuss, I'll just start crying. LA's usually good to me though. Hell, just got that Luie Luie last time I was there for $7.00.

• Options
    Started a thread already before I saw this one, sorry to double post...

Photobucket
    Photobucket

• Here are a few I've found in the last few months all for $1 a piece:

Nilo Toledo- Jazz in the Sun
    Percy Mays- Shine Your Love (Modern Xian Boogie)
    The Remains- S/T (white label promo unplayed)
    Attached files

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    My best ever buy was 'manu dibango african voodoo' for 30p in a charity shop.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    stone mint Dave Pike "Got the feelin" at some weird Belgian recordshop for $15.

• The entire Strata-East, Survival, and Tribe catalogs (most in shrink) for $1 each in Blue Springs, Missouri. I've said it a million times...mind you, this was in 1997 when this shit was complete fire.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Man and a Woman OST from a closet in my parents house about a month ago = FREE

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    high_c said:
    Man and a Woman OST from a closet in my parents house about a month ago = FREE

THIS ONE WILL BE HARD TO TOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    markus71 said:
    stone mint Dave Pike "Got the feelin" at some weird Belgian recordshop for $15.

Nice find mate.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    serious though, just this weekend i pulled these at a flea, yeah maybe more like weekend finds info, still sorta topic related, and i almost havent bragged bout them yet, so........... ;)

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Bought 5 boxes from this guy a few years ago for just 100 euro's all together. He had 10 boxes in total. He found them standing on the sidewalk nearby a distribution centre ready to be picked up by the garbage men. The other 5 boxes he gave away to a friend who melted them to make a unique floor for his hip new club! (a floor made of melted records...). As I went through the boxes I found this record by a group called "The Brief Encounter". That was way before Popsike & Frenzy...We all know how rare that record became...Luckily this record was not melted in this floor, but which other records were ?????

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    what currently comes to mind is the (unwarped vg decent playing) OG Jr + the soulettes i picked up not knowing how rare it was, and i was nowhere near Oklahoma - there was some other regional OK records with it so whoever had em, they came from there at some point. neither me nor the seller had any idea, we just went back and forth debating its potential coolness based on the cover, and settled on i think $40??? then i posted it on here in a weekend finds and that got some reactions.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I still vividly remember picking up both Mohawks and Beginning of the end s/t at a 2nd hand shop for about $5 each.
    Another fine find was mint doubles of the funky technician 12 by Lord Finesse for $3 each.
    Not sure if i will ever top these, since it was long ago (pre-eBay/popsike etc)...

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    24 Karat Black for 3,75 guilders in 1991 (2 Dollars back then) wasn't bad as well. Did not know what it was back then, but the sleeve was intriguing enough to spend $ 2 on...

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    why do so many people spell it as Karat? i see it all the bloody time...

no raers, but for where i live, i was pretty happy to find these:

sealed Main Source - Breaking Atoms for less than ??1

mint Labi Siffre - Remember my Song for ??3 in a charity shop at the height of it's popularity. it was changing hands for ??200 apparently, i don't believe that though. how could it possibly be raer? it's Labi Siffre on EMI!!! i only bought it because i had seen the cover on Mo Majid's wall of fame, turned out to be an album i quite liked.

• Kathleen Emery - Motherless Child/ Evil Ways w/ Pic Cover VG+ $3
    Wild Style OST never played $1
    Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau LP $2
    Mr. Magic - Gilligans Island To The Beat 45 $2
    Velvet Underground S/T MONO vg $4

• my first come up was 24 carrot in 1995 for $1.25 (i didnt even know what it was)
    my biggest financial comeup was finding 5 copies of Courageous Chief for $4 each (after a former TSL employee had already taken a big stack out of the same boxes, haha). i kept the test pressing, sold the rest.
    most recent was james mason for a dollar in June/July.

• Hilton Felton - s/t for $1 (twice)
    5 sealed copies of the Cobra Mcees 12" for a buck each
    Mr. Magic - Potential 1980 for 10 cents
    Amiri Baraka - A Black Mass for $5
    Phil Flowers & The United Family (the psychadelic one on Longwood) - $1
    5 mint Soul Toronados - "Crazy Legs" for $1 each (remember that dude Randy Darrah? He had some crazy stuff for sale on rec.music.marketplace back in the day, got this and a bunch of other mint dead stock 45s from him.. man, those were the days)
    Thesda for $1

Those are the ones that really stand out to me.

Oh yeah, and that crazy collection of fake cardboard records for $2 each.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Secret_Chimp said:

Oh yeah, and that crazy collection of fake cardboard records for $2 each.

this was what I thought of as soon as I saw you post

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Billy Brooks $3
    Les DeMerle $1
    Don Blacman 50 cents
    Nathan Davis free

Each Ex condition at different times within the past year at stupid obvious spots in Austin.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    A lot of albums and 12" singles picked up throughout the 90s in Holland for between $5 - $15 that go for a few hundred dollar, but my best buy profit wise would be around 1992/93.
    I found on a market stall in Amsterdam a mint copy of Ben and The Platano Group : 'Paris Soul' on Barclay Records for 1 guilder (50 cents). Such a nice sleeve I had to take a chance on the record.

Not known on our scene at the time, played it down the phone to a few well known French DJs (Yellow & DJ BNX) and they went nuts. They started running around Paris and all over France looking for copies, but found it hard to locate.
    I ended up selling it 18 months later to a collector in Switzerland for ??500, around $900 back then If I recall my exchange rates! Sweet....

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    Secret_Chimp said:
    remember that dude Randy Darrah? .

Ol' Record Randy. There's a name from the past!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Sealed james mason, 2 sealed James conwells and a sealed Weldon Irvine on nodlew all for a 1.69 each...oh how I miss that that little thrift spot on Elvis Presley blvd.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    It's Summer LP for $ 1.

Twice.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Sealed james mason,

Curious if you kept this - Doesn't seem like a Hook_up record.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I bought Tabby Thomas "One Day" for $2 from Laserwolf. Sold for $2000 on the bay. Don,t think this really counts since I had no clue what it was tell years later. It still had the post it note on it when I fished it out of my boxes.

My biggest digging screw up was not buying a sealed copy of Aposento Alto for $25 when laserwolf discovered them. I put lone on hold and he sold it to someone else accidentally. Ouch.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I bought Tabby Thomas "One Day" for $2 from Laserwolf. Sold for $2000 on the bay. Don,t think this really counts since I had no clue what it was tell years later. It still had the post it note on it when I fished it out of my boxes.

My biggest digging screw up was not buying a sealed copy of Aposento Alto for $25 when laserwolf discovered them. I put lone on hold and he sold it to someone else accidentally. Ouch.