american apparel financial problems

SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
is this the first domino in a chain that will topple modern hipsterdom as we know it?

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Without knowing ANY details and going strictly off your subject heading, I'm gonna say no. They've established a name and an identity and someone will be smart enough to scoop them up.

That said, I'll STFU and read up on my read-ups now.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I would suggest moving production to China.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see how their attempt at changing brand image works out. There was a memo sent around recently to American Apparel stores from "head office" (or whatever) outlining the new "brand direction" they are going for. Essentially, they're going for more of a mixture of the workwear and the preppy/boating styles that have been popular in certain circles for the past few years. It could work out well for them if it catches on in a more "mainstreet" demographic, making the style(s) more accessible via AA's large network of stores as well as making it available at what most people would see as a better pricepoint. AA has a lot of marketing muscle behind it, but this time it feels more like they're jumping on a bandwagon than crystallizing their own distinctive aesthetic. Engineered Garments, Sperry, and LVC can only milk the trend for so long themselves, how is AA going to be able to successfully push it when they're so far behind the curve with this one? It feels like it might be too much of a departure from their previous aesthetic, and I'm not sure that the average AA customer is going to be taken with it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    WSJ has loved writing about AA over the past few years. It's a treasure trove of horrible management and how NOT to run a business.

That said, the owner (Dov) has absolutely managed that businesses brand image like a top CEO. The story goes if he would just not pay any attention to the daily operations/financials of the business, they might be successful.

From what I have read over the years, the only reason that company is still afloat is that lenders see the value in the brand name, and have been willing to work with Dov to try and get a good management team in there. But apparently his eccentricity may very well be the downfall as I don't think the lenders are getting much in this manner.

today's article
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703824304575435282703897308.html?mod=wsjcrmain

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    at first I read this thread title as "apparent american financial problems."

I was like, this is news?

• dukeofdelridge said:
    I would suggest moving production to China.

ZING!

nah for real i laughed.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The question is, should the Canadian stayed doing just manufacturer & wholesaler??? For sure he wouldn't have made the kind of money he made going into retail and the company going public, but in the end, is this what could bring down the company? They did an awful lot of retail expansion in relatively short period of time.

We use to buy a lot of shit from them wholesale back in the late 90's when their prices use to be really cheap compared to others. How are their prices now a days?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Its hard to find a great manufacturer/industry of a t-shirt. AA does it well, yeah you might not like the fitting but f'off, they have larger sizes. Their t-shirts are constructed, and designed well. America needs more t-shirt manufacturers. Who doesn't like a well made t-shirt. Its hard to make a well made t-shirt that last. Lasting is the key.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Burns said:
    Its hard to find a great manufacturer/industry of a t-shirt. AA does it well, yeah you might not like the fitting but f'off, they have larger sizes. Their t-shirts are constructed, and designed well. America needs more t-shirt manufacturers. Who doesn't like a well made t-shirt. Its hard to make a well made t-shirt that last. Lasting is the key.

STOCKHOLDERS REVEALED

• I wear their stuff but only in a generic way. Not in that "look" they go for.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Burns said:

Their tees don't fit well at all. They are slim fitted light weight and have no shape not to mention almost always fluro in colour.
    AA are just reaping what happened to Kusbi and Ed Hardy/ Christian Dior (here in aus anyway). If you have an overpriced badly designed, poor quality product eventually all the hipsters that buy it will move on to the next fad clothing.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I can not stand their store layouts... I avoid setting foot in that store because of that.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Burns said:

My screenprinting buddy buys their shirts for stock just because people like them. He says he usually gets a couple in every order that he just can't use because of bad construction.

Burns said:

As someone else mentioned, they are hardly well-constructed. In any batch of shirts from them, you'll get some that are basically a size up or size down from what they're supposed to be - assuming that the proportions are still correct.
    I mean, I buy their stuff because they have a store that's really conveniently located and because I can get it for cheap, but there are better options if you have the choice.

kicks79 said:
    Their tees don't fit well at all. They are slim fitted light weight and have no shape not to mention almost always fluro in colour.
    AA are just reaping what happened to Kusbi and Ed Hardy/ Christian Dior (here in aus anyway). If you have an overpriced badly designed, poor quality product eventually all the hipsters that buy it will move on to the next fad clothing.

If you have problem with them falling out of shape, just get the ones that are part poly, those tend to fall back better after stretching. The main problem (with the 100% cotton ones) is that they can sometimes get pretty blousy and drapey over time.
    I assume you mean Christian Audigier, and not Dior, because a lot of the Dior stuff is incredible in terms of construction, fit, etc. The problems with Ed Hardy are sort of different, because a lot of their stuff is put out by people who license the brand name, and then put stuff out under the name. That's why there's such a massive glut of it, with absolutely no quality control. Not that I would ever ride for a single piece of clothing under that name.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What are the "Better" options for a t-shirt?

Toilet paper thin Hanes and Fruit of The Loom?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I know people are going to be all $40 for a tshirt!? F that! But cheap shit means someone else is taking the hit so we can save. And you know it's not the company execs or the office staff.
    I am fine with supporting small businesses and paying more, even more so if the company can show the dollars are trickling all the way down. Having said all that, I think there is no way to manufacture or sell anything without someone being exploited to some degree.

I own a t-shirt and a sweatshirt from these folks and I love them. They are super soft and fine quality.

http://www.alternativeapparel.com/Consumer.aspx

batmon said:

Stafford heavy duty from JCPenney's.

That or Pro Club from your local swap meet or Mr. Lee's combination liquor, t-shirt and "authentic Mexican food" store. Real OG's/veteranos know the deal.

• regardless of the unsustainability of their business plan, lets face it, the CEO is creepy as fuck. The company has faced an onslaught of articles like this one. who cares whether the manufacturing is ethically sound when the branding, hiring policy and marketing definitely aren't.

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/06/24/american_apparel_quitting

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Herm said:

the last 3pak I got was a step down from the glory days, but still: Stafford white crew neck JCPenney's. 4 LIFE!

Herm said:
    batmon said:

So Stafford is cut the same as AA?

b/w

Where is JCPenny's

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    batmon said:

Took me forever to find something cheap and well constructed, and IMO, I've found nothing that's a better bargain than Uni Qlo. I wear solid colored t-shirts basically every day, and have looked many places.

By far and away the best fit and price (4.99 a pop) for me. They're sturdy, they last, and they always have plenty of stock, both in crew and v-neck.

Couldn't recommend anything more.

batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

b/w

Where is JCPenny's

Hmmm...I guess they're just out west. I just assumed they were everywhere.

Uniqlo's up near the top of my list for my NY trip next month. They're chinos are niiiiiiiice.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Herm said:
    They're chinos

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

b/w

Where is JCPenny's

Hmmm...I guess they're just out west. I just assumed they were everywhere.

Im just messin with ya. I know JCPenny's........

But seriously is the Stafford cut the same as AA?

Best options for plain t-shirts in that price bracket are probably Uniqlo (if you're on the coasts, I guess), Alternative Apparel (though some of their cuts are kinda sloppy), and Anvil. Just go to blankstyle.com and browse around. There are tons of reviews on line for various brands of blank t-shirts - I kid you not - thanks to the home screenprinting cottage industry. Just type something like "Tultex shirt quality" into Google, and you'll see.

Of course, if you're willing to ante up, there's better stuff to be had out there.

Soulhawk said:
    Herm said:
    They're chinos

Nooooooo!!!! Dumm thumms. Sorry about that.

Batmon: Can't really speak to the cut. All I know is the Staffords fit me well and I've never been a big fan of American Apparel tees. Not sure on how they'll fit over your Spanx though!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Herm said:
    Soulhawk said:
    Herm said:
    They're chinos

Batmon: Can't really speak to the cut. All I know is the Staffords fit me well and I've never been a big fan of American Apparel tees. Not sure on how they'll fit over your Spanx though!

Spanx makes upper body shapewear now? I would have just suggested snug Under Armour type stuff to smooth out bulges on a guy. It seems more Batmon-esque than leopard print tummy control panels.

Almond said:
    Herm said:
    Soulhawk said:
    Herm said:
    They're chinos

Spanx makes upper body shapewear now? I would have just suggested snug Under Armour type stuff to smooth out bulges on a guy. It seems more Batmon-esque than leopard print tummy control panels.

Sorry im not some bearded fat caucasoid.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    fat, black & proud eh?

bully for you batmon!