Rap Thread 2: Like Water For Chocolate Revisited

13»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i still think some of Dilla's best shit is on this record. 'film called pimp' & a couple other tracks are corny (i dont think the assata shakur song is really THAT bad -- it can be hard for folks to forgive earnestness i understand but i think the weight of the subject matter carries some of the load there) but what better examples are there of Dilla's rap beats? I had a fukkin frank n dank CD & this shit is WAYYYY better. The Q-Tip record is less 'corny' maybe but theres nothing on it touching the pure smooth beauty of 'dooinit' or 'funky for you'

its also an actually-unique rap record, i mean it feels pretty distinctive in rap history, even compared to Com's first three records. Not as consistent as Resurrection, but definitely more interesting from a musical standpoint.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    deej said:
    I had a fukkin frank n dank CD & this shit is WAYYYY better.

other than thelonius and doonit, i far prefer the beats on 48 hrs.

• harvey my mates were all listening to No Limit in 99. I wouldn't get too hung up on the euroman thing, i have plenty of friends who hate on anything on a LWFC level as being too soft. Some of the biggest southern rap fans i know are over here. it ain't where your from its where you at

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

...that Euromen simply know better when it comes to Common is laughable at best.

2. I wasn't talking about 15 year olds when I said there are plenty of gangsta rap fans in Germany and Norway. And there's no possibly about it. I know some of these folks. Nastykutt for instance produces for all sorts of Southern artists. Actually, it's the Dope E's and Point Blank's, basically legendary but has been gangsta rap artists, of the rap world that are at this point in time more appreciated in Europe than in the US. The same might apply to a Mikah 9 or Mystik Journeymen, basically alternative underground rap artists...but certainly not Common.

Don't understand why you're so heated. Seems like you're being haunted by the obssesive idea of "euromen knowing better". At no point in this conversation did I pretend to "know better". Not about Common or anything. All I did was describing how I experienced rap in the 90s and what's MY impression of MY musical environment. Then I expressed my surprise that it differs more from the US reality than I thought. Never pretended my particular take on this would be representative for my country or even continent which would be more than laughable. Perhaps in Norway or Hungaria southern rap is big. Perhaps the next big producer is living in Heidelberg. I say possibly because I don't care. That's it. No more no less. I'm fine with things being different in different places and I'm fine with having different views on the same issue. So would you chill please and stop behaving as if there's euromen lingering behind every corner trying to school you.

I'm out making realworld moves.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

But it does get a lil excruciating when y'all try so hard to pretend that that's not the way it is.

:lol:

99.9% certainties, huh?

I appreciate the self-sonning of your posts Harv. Demonstrative of a generous spirit and a sharp sense of humour.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    deej said:

its also an actually-unique rap record, i mean it feels pretty distinctive in rap history, even compared to Com's first three records. Not as consistent as Resurrection, but definitely more interesting from a musical standpoint.

I think its his best album.
    Essential Kufi-Rap.
    Shit hasnt aged at all for me.
    Common rhymes his ass off on this shit.

I think its incorrect to label this as a Dilla album.

Was Andre 3000 already into his new look when this album came out?

I'm trying to find another (Neo Soul) Hip Hop album of the same era that got the same shine.

Lauryn Hill's joint came out in '98 and was still poppin' by 2000.

I played this most of this album out and have doubles of the instrumental version.

First to incorporate Afro-Beat?

• batmon said:

I'm trying to find another (Neo Soul) Hip Hop album of the same era that got the same shine.

mamas gun came out the year after, same team, poyser dilla questlove with the lion share of the songwriting and production. but yeah no rapps.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:

Mos Def's album the prior year opened with a Fela sample

• I like this album.... a lot. Not his best work, that would be Be (for me), but it still sounds nice.

Don't get the dislike for it. At the time people were riding hard for this album, interesting to see it change.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

Grown man sport (Pete Rock/INI) 1998?

OptimusLime said:

Don't get the dislike for it. At the time people were riding hard for this album, interesting to see it change.

Completely meaningless statement

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    OptimusLime said:
    I like this album.... a lot. Not his best work, that would be Be (for me), but it still sounds nice.

Unless you weren't riding for it then either.

deej said:
    (i dont think the assata shakur song is really THAT bad -- it can be hard for folks to forgive earnestness i understand but i think the weight of the subject matter carries some of the load there)

Earnestness is not the issue. Poor execution is:

She untangled the chains and escaped the pain
    How she broke out of prison I could never explain
    And even to this day they try to get to her
    but she's free with political asylum in Cuba

Are you kidding me?

Subject matter is never an excuse for bad music. People who think that way are responsible for the abomination that is Talib Kweli having a multi-album career.

bassie said:
    OptimusLime said:
    I like this album.... a lot. Not his best work, that would be Be (for me), but it still sounds nice.

Or missed the boat.

Boats made of corn don't last too long.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    bassie said:

It's been tooketh there!
    This is one of those albums, like TLM, that I remember thinking back was ok to eh (better than TLM), but I have no desire to listen to again.

batmon said:
    bassie said:
    OptimusLime said:

Or missed the boat.

I'm pretty sure the one bassie was up on this album at the time it dropped

I think he is implying I missed the boat by not basking in its sandalwoody founts?

Supreme Clientele came out just before that - what can I say?

• batmon said:
    I think its his best album.

BAN.

bassie said:
    I think he is implying I missed the boat by not basking in its sandalwoody founts?

Peace, queen

Now I see the light

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    @Batmon, it's not a Dilla album as much as it's a Soulquarians album, which obviously Dilla had a tremendous influence upon. 99-2000 when the movement was really hitting it came in line with Mama's Gun, Fantastic Vol. 1 and Voodoo and the 4 of them as a whole summed up what the whole thing was about nahmean?

So to me, man it's a great album. Probably his best album to me. But what do I know about rap music? OPINIONS! Ban me I guess. But hey, rap threads on Soulstrut. You know how it go...

• Duderonomy said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

Nowhere near first. X-Clan sampled "Sorrow, Tears & Blood" in 1990 for "Grand Verbalizer".

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Duderonomy said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

Nowhere near first. X-Clan sampled "Sorrow, Tears & Blood" in 1990 for "Grand Verbalizer".

"Yeah..."

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    bassie said:

if we still had locations.............

Cosmo said:
    @Batmon, 99-2000 when the movement was really hitting it came in line with Mama's Gun, Fantastic Vol. 1 and Voodoo and the 4 of them as a whole summed up what the whole thing was about nahmean?.

sayin

ill add Jill Scott's first joint and Mos Def's Black On Both Sides('99)

• "Boo Rashied, call Grandma. This is grandma honey...robed me on the riverboat took my fur coat and everything"

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    batmon said:

Seems like the Black Star album was pretty big right? I'm not too certain, as I was just getting into rap at the time.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    mr.brett said:
    batmon said:

Seems like the Black Star album was pretty big right? I'm not too certain, as I was just getting into rap at the time.

nevermind... with the exception of "brown skin lady," that's not really neo soul like some parts of common were