Favorite Blue-Eyed Soul Artist?

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    [re-offtangent]

tap the bottle and twist the cap...um was YBT produced by bomb squad or am i reading things wrong?

http://www.seditionists.org/HFh/reviews/005.nj3.html [/re-offtangent]

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    YBT was produced by the Bomb Squad & DJ Skribble.

The Black part of their moniker was supposed to express "their state of mind," kinda like Onyx saying Throw Ya Gunz was speaking to a "metaphorical" gun.

T.N.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Lewis Taylor...........................DONT SLEEP!!!!!!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Tony Joe White
    Tom Jones

And as long as we can discount his later-period garbage:
    Rod Stewart

All these but put Van Morrison at the top of that list.

van morrison, peter wolf[/b]

damn, I knew I'd forget Peter! J Geils Band is one of the greats from the 70s, IMO. Detroit Breakdown is one of the best rock grooves of the 70s.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    van morrison, peter wolf[/b]

damn, I knew I'd forget Peter! J Geils Band is one of the greats from the 70s, IMO. Detroit Breakdown is one of the best rock grooves of the 70s.

"It Ain't What You Do, It's How You Do It"[/b] is

It's really cool how your post triggered an instant solution of the problem I was having at that moment, ie what song to kick off my show tomorrow with. Thanks.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    How about green eyes?

Baby Baby

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Learn the origins of the term blue-eyed soul here.

http://www.recordsbymail.com/georgieWoods.php

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Yes indeed.

• Holy crap! I had no idea the Mauds had a whole LP (I have a couole of the 45s).

My faves...Billy Harner, Skip Easterling, Bob Brady, Doug Sahm...

• As a kid I was a big fan of Paul Young (Whereever I lay my hat etc)
    David Bowie is worthy of a mention (blue/green eyed soul)
    and cosign on Lewis Taylor the Lucky 12" (k+d remix) has been on high rotation at my house recently.
    Another singer though not really soul (his first lp was called "burning blue soul") that i used to be into was Matt Johnson (THE THE). For some reason "This is the day" is the only song that i know all the lyrics to.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Eric Burdon

• The Tempests

I completely forgot about a personal favorite artist (I am getting old) who fits into this discussion, the Silver Fox himself, Mr. Charlie Rich

One of the most deeply soulful singers to ever grace a stage. Aclass act whose very success became his biggest burden. All he ever really wanted to be was Ray Charles, but got saddled with Country Superstar, then country has-been.

Sadly, he died in '95 before he really ever got to enjoy a critical re-assessment, and before his ecclectic catalog ever got marketed properly.
    His last CD was one of his greatest achievements, 'produced' by Peter Guralnick, who famously profiled Rich in the great book, Lost Highways. Pick it up if you see it. He explores all the types of music he really loved on this outing.

God Bless Charlie Rich. True blue eyed soul.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Cosign on the Charlie Rich. I like stuff from all his eras, but I get the impression that this album here:

...along with his two albums on the Smash label were the only times he felt like "himself" in the studio.

Even when I WASN'T a country fan, Charlie was one of the gateway artists that got me into C&W proper. But, there was more to his music than that...it was probably only out of geography that he was ever marketed as a country singer in the first place.

God Bless Charlie Rich. True blue eyed soul.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Yes indeed.

BIG OL' CO-SIGN!!!

SG

Cosign on the Charlie Rich. I like stuff from all his eras, but I get the impression that this album here:

...along with his two albums on the Smash label were the only times he felt like "himself" in the studio.

I agree. I like a lot of songs from his Epic years, but he never really was being pushed to look at albums as collections of songs that work together as a whole, and most of his records feel very uneven. Songs like "Life Has It's Little Ups and Downs"(written by his wife of many many years) and classics like "Behind Closed Doors" show what he was capable of when he really believed in a song.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I like a lot of songs from (Charlie Rich's) Epic years, but he never really was being pushed to look at albums as collections of songs that work together as a whole, and most of his records feel very uneven.

You know those two tunes you mentioned in the box below this sentence?

The albums those songs come from both sound like they saved the worst songs for last. Really - the second side of The Fabulous Charlie Rich is virtually unlistenable (even "Bright Lights, Big City"), and the only saving grace of Behind Closed Doors' second half is "I Take It On Home." So, I guess that proves your point.

Songs like "Life Has It's Little Ups and Downs"(written by his wife of many many years) and classics like "Behind Closed Doors" show what he was capable of when he really believed in a song.

"Sitting & Thinking," from his Sun Records days, just SLAYS me. I'm also feeling the scandalous "Peace On You," where he compares his woman's unfaithfulness to religious blasphemy. ("God ain't gonna love you any, if you love too many more...") Roger McGuinn (ex-Byrd) covered this; I've never heard his version, but for some reason I can't imagine him pulling it off with the same weight.

• another co-sign on charlie rich. what a great, underappreciated performer. so sad i never got to see him before he died....the early rockabillyish stuff is good too, like "lonely weekends." and "midnight blues" is about the catchiest song ever...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Excuse me, but how many on this list actually have blue eyes?

This thread is like name your favorite 5'3" basketball player. In that case, I'll add Prefab Sprout!

another co-sign on charlie rich. what a great, underappreciated performer. so sad i never got to see him before he died....the early rockabillyish stuff is good too, like "lonely weekends." and "midnight blues" is about the catchiest song ever...

I like the story of how at some big awards show, like the Country Music Association Awards in like '74(he was CMA Entertainer of the Year in '73, the year of the ubiquitous 'Behind Closed Doors'), and he was announcing the Entertainer of the Year for 1974. This was at the height of his drinking problem, so he was most likely a bit under the influence, but upon opening the envelope he supposedly announced the winner and promptly set the envelope on fire. The winner was John Denver. Th incident is rumored to have effectively blackballed Rich from the CMA Hall of Fame, even to this day.

Charlie's son's interesting thoughts on the incident are here
    http://www.charlierichjr.com/controversy/the_envelope_burning/

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i'm not kidding...

Did anybody mention Teene Marie"[/b]

• FRANKIE VALLI

'Girl you're gonna miss me'

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

This thread got me thinking:

Are Erick Sermon's eyes really green or does he wear contacts?

h

BUMP