Placebo "Ball of Eyes" Exactly how raer?

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
I keep seeing reissues of this for sale (between $50- $100) and it keeps saying only 50 reissues pressed. Now, if his is true isn't the reissue just as raer as the OG.??

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    No way they only pressed 50 of the reissue. A few hundred at least.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    This French dude that sold me my copy on the fair in Utrecht, told me there are only 500 copies...still not sure if he is responsible for the re-issue itself...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    There is no way this reissue was 500 copies only. I don't believe it one bit. There's copy's all over the world, in stores, etc. I'd say at least 1,000, if not 2,000. It's a classic case of "press and grip and flip and lie"

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    djsheep said:
    There is no way this reissue was 500 copies only. I don't believe it one bit. There's copy's all over the world, in stores, etc. I'd say at least 1,000, if not 2,000. It's a classic case of "press and grip and flip and lie"

Exactly! my friend works at a store in Amsterdam. They are still stocking copies I think. Loads of sellers at the last record fair in Utrecht had it and it keeps popping up on ebay too all the time.
    A few thousand at least.

What do people think about the quality of this reissue? The cover and label look like they have been photographed or scanned. The copies my friend had in the store were all off centered.

• Why thrust numbers about shady and totally not official bootleg anyway? You should knew you can't thrust any numbers in this way of business...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think the word you want is "trust" ... although "thrust" makes for an interesting and hilarious interpretation!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• robert_murt said:
    Why thrust numbers about shady and totally not official bootleg anyway? You should knew you can't thrust any numbers in this way of business...

LOL yeah sorry for my english...

• Resurrecting an old thread here, but after seeing multiple copies in Disk Union I wondered if there were any updates on the quality of this reish. Obviously not legit, but how's the sound quality? I have the blue cover 2lp comp that came out in the 80s so don't feel the need to pursue OGs or boots so badly.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    According to the people at Demon Fuzz there were only 500 copies made http://cgi.ebay.com/PLACEBO-BALL-EYES-RE-ISSUE-500-PIECES-WORLDWIDE-/270730519903?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3f08cbe55f

although I agree there has to be thousands out there from what I have seen.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I just noticed the same thing with the Bobby Boyd Congress LP. The original was only 300 copies and they say the reish is 500. Now if 500 is true, then that is pretty damn raer imo. And I just saw a copy at my homeboy's shop for $12.99. It don't make no sense.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Breez said:
    I just noticed the same thing with the Bobby Boyd Congress LP. The original was only 300 copies and they say the reish is 500. Now if 500 is true, then that is pretty damn raer imo. And I just saw a copy at my homeboy's shop for $12.99. It don't make no sense.

2 X 500

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Jamal said:
    Breez said:

2 X 500

So is the reish worth grabbing for that price?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Breez said:
    Jamal said:
    Breez said:

2 X 500

So is the reish worth grabbing for that price?

If you dig the music off course! and that price is cheaper than the original vadim price..

500 copies, that's what the seller of this record told us @ Demonfuzz Records as well. But we're not there while it's being printed... The Bobby Boyd re-issue is numbered, but that also doesn't prove anything. The only person to trust is Jazzman Gerald in this matter. If he states 500, it's 500. But if someone offers him a new release for his website with the info that there are only 500 copies pressed, he also puts that in the item description. You never know nowadays...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    MR_ZIMMS said:
    500 copies, that's what the seller of this record told us @ Demonfuzz Records as well. But we're not there while it's being printed... The Bobby Boyd re-issue is numbered, but that also doesn't prove anything. The only person to trust is Jazzman Gerald in this matter. If he states 500, it's 500. But if someone offers him a new release for his website with the info that there are only 500 copies pressed, he also puts that in the item description. You never know nowadays...

I've been told this '500 copies' crap numerous times for bootleg reissues. I stopped believing it years ago.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    plainstone said:
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but after seeing multiple copies in Disk Union I wondered if there were any updates on the quality of this reish. Obviously not legit, but how's the sound quality? I have the blue cover 2lp comp that came out in the 80s so don't feel the need to pursue OGs or boots so badly.

The reissues are crappy (photo scanned label and sleeves) and the pressings are not great - i bought one of them and the center hole was off-centered, so it's unplayable. Several dealers i talked to acknowledged these pressing flaws.
    The blue double lp is a proper compilation and a great alternative for the real deal.

If in doubt: wait (hope :-) ) till someday a quality 180gr. japanese legit reissue will drop or empty that bank account for the OG.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    MR_ZIMMS said:

I've been told this '500 copies' crap numerous times for bootleg reissues. I stopped believing it years ago.

I think sometimes, just sometimes it's legit. That Guerssen homie seems to do low amts of pressings on reissues. But yeah, these bootlegger dudes lie, it's part and parcel to da game.

• i bought 10 copies of ball of eyes in Utrecht 2 weeks ago,Utrecht is full of Placebo records,500 copies or 1000 copies is a big joke,at least 3000-4000 copies are pressed,trust me for that

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    forevernevermore said:
    i bought 10 copies of ball of eyes in Utrecht 2 weeks ago,Utrecht is full of Placebo records,500 copies or 1000 copies is a big joke,at least 3000-4000 copies are pressed,trust me for that

Hey Forevernevermore,

If you're willing to part with one of those copies, I'd love to buy. Please get at me on the PMs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Email me at moodymann67@hotmail.com thanks Didier

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    forevernevermore said:
    Email me at moodymann67@hotmail.com thanks Didier

Email sent.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, it's just that feeling of "somehow" having the record. No re-issue can beat that Counterpoint 2lp set up to now. But it gives you a certain rest, the feeling you can always play that record & think by yourself "am I gonna spend my well earned cash for the original?". At least, that's what I think from time to time. For example when I play the Hubub re-issue of Weldon Irvines "Liberated Brother" (which sounds way better than the Japanese re-issue, believe me) or the re-issue of that Boscoe lp. Convincing (or not) myself I'm gonna invest or not in the original (while the re-issue is spinning on my turntable).