Since you started collecting, how much money have you spent on records?

CherChezLaPLANCherChezLaPLAN 340 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Just wondering...

Comments

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I don't really want to think about it, as it will be too much!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    HEAPS!

b/w/

Paging Reynaldo

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    ive often thought about this and its kinda depressing. but.. i have friends who have spent just as much on weed and have nothing to show for it so..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    All of it.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    There's how much money I've spent on records, then there's how much money I've wasted on records.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That distinction is so real.

But for real, this question would be better asked if we're estimating what % of our annual income goes to records. Based on the last few tax returns, I'd estimate around 5-8%.

• Then there's money you spent getting wasted, and money you spent on records you bought while wasted.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Then there's money you spent getting wasted, and money you spent on records you bought while wasted.
    And of course, the records you bought that are wasted.

• DCarfagna said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Then there's money you spent getting wasted, and money you spent on records you bought while wasted.
    And of course, the records you bought that are wasted.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've spent, on an average, $40 (minimum) every week for 20 years on records.
    That there is $41,600.

Now this doesn't include any of my MANY splurges. I don't even want to factor in them, OMG!!

• i been thinking about this lately..Got me wondering if i should insure my records..Anybody else done that?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    all I know is that I spent 12% of my weekly paycheck on records this weekend being on the gemm and the ebay while partaking....need to stick to listening to music and watching movies when doing that instead of being on the interwebs...the soundclips dont sound nearly as cool the next day.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    double post

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on records over 30+ years of collecting. I imagine it's in the 5 figures somewhere, especially over the past decade or so as prices have risen. It used to be soooooo cheap back in the 80s when it was just me and 1 or 2 old hippies in the record store. No one wanted records then, so dealers were just giving heat away for a dollar or two a pop!!! You could get a pile of 100 LPs for 30-40 bucks back then. I was talking to Phill yesterday, and I lamented about how I would be unwilling to spend the loot it would take to compile my collection from the ground up today. The expense would be mind-boggling! :face_melt:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Easy over $100,000 - easy.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Easy over $100,000 - easy.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Ayrotollah77 said:
    i been thinking about this lately..Got me wondering if i should insure my records..Anybody else done that?

There was a fairly extensive thread on this about 9 months ago, not sure if it's findable now.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I'm guessing I could have almost paid for a mortgage on a house by now, just over 30 years of collecting! :balla:

• i definitely think i evened out with the money i made selling records. especially in the last ten years, 90% of my records cost less than $5, so that helped keep things reasonable. but simply up front spending...probably over 50gs.