Kauai

SensiRiderSensiRider 97 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
What's up soulstrut. I know there are strutters traveling and living all over and I'm looking for some Kauai advice.

I'm lucky to be able to go for the first time for two weeks next week. I'm done my research and have some folks out there, but glad to hear any recommendations so my vacation can get that soulstrut flavor. Meaning I'm not looking for records out there.

Food? We've got use of a house, so looking to cook up some marvelous shit. Fish and fruit markets?

Snorkeling spots, kayaking, swimming, hiking... what else?

Comments

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I lived there for a couple years. Buy "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook", the blue one. It's super good and will tell you everything you need to know.

Waipa valley farmer's market just north of Hanalei on Tuesdays is the best produce on the island. Tree's Lounge in Kapa'a is the best restaurant. Fish Express in Lihue across from Walmart is good for one-stop plate lunch and fish.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was there a few times in the 80's and it's incredible there. Most of my recommendations would be way out of date, except that I would consider springing for a helicopter tour. Most of the Island is not accessible to the public, but it's an unbelievable landscape. Normally this would not be my type of thing, but in this case it's well worth it.

• JoeMojo said:
    "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook", the blue one.

Cool, that's the one I've got. Good to know it's thorough.

Waipa valley farmer's market just north of Hanalei on Tuesdays is the best produce on the island.

When i read about this it makes it sound like the gate opens and then it's like locust swarm and you get nothing unless you're willing to push. Is it really like that?

• Horseleech said:
    ...except that I would consider springing for a helicopter tour. Most of the Island is not accessible to the public, but it's an unbelievable landscape. Normally this would not be my type of thing, but in this case it's well worth it.

Do you mean that the helicopter isn't usually your thing or island travel in general? If the former, I've been skeptical of the helicopters for a bunch of reasons, but sounds like it might be one of those things that's worth breaking down for.

SensiRider said:

Waipa valley farmer's market just north of Hanalei on Tuesdays is the best produce on the island.

When i read about this it makes it sound like the gate opens and then it's like locust swarm and you get nothing unless you're willing to push. Is it really like that?

Not quite that bad. I'd usually show up 15-20 minutes after it opened so it had time to settle down.

The farmers' market in Kapaa on... Wednesdays I think? is actually cheaper and bigger. But if you're interested in organic and exotic produce, the Waipa one is the best. Plus the Waipa market generally has posted prices. If you go to the more local markets you're going to get tourist price.

If you're okay with cleaning fish, on the weekends a lot of guys will set up by the side of the road in Lihue and sell aku or whatever they caught in the morning. Probably the best deal but kind of a commitment.

Oh, and if you're in shape, you should consider kayaking around the Na Pali coast. A couple of places do one-day trips, it's 17 miles and they take all day. Totally spectacular. It's summer so the north shore is really calm.

Some of the boys are actually racing 38 miles of the north shore of Kauai tomorrow: http://www.gicra.com/Napali_Challenge/NapaliChallenge.html . I almost went but I'm doing a race on Oahu on Sunday.

• I spent a week there a few years ago.

If you're into hiking, do the Alakai swamp hike. Awesome.

I know you're cooking at home, but you should consider checking out Mark's Place in Lihue for their lunch plate. We loved it and ended up going there two or three times.

We tried to hike the Na Pali trail and ended up spending the night half way to the beach. A little disappointed, but it was still a hell of a hike.

Beautiful place. Have fun!

• JoeMojo said:
    Plus the Waipa market generally has posted prices. If you go to the more local markets you???re going to get tourist price.

Yeah, I'm sure. Anything I can do to facilitate being (apparently) more local?

Oh, and if you're in shape, you should consider kayaking around the Na Pali coast. A couple of places do one-day trips, it's 17 miles and they take all day. Totally spectacular.

I've been eyeing these. General fitness is not an issue, but that's through bikes and basketball and my kayaking experience is limited to rivers and lakes with one short inter-island passage in Maine. Do these trips require particular kayaking skills or just coordination and not being afraid of the water?

Thanks for your recommendations, btw.

• tallbobsmoke said:
    I know you're cooking at home, but you should consider checking out Mark's Place in Lihue for their lunch plate. We loved it and ended up going there two or three times.

Oh, I'm definitely eating out some, so thanks for the advice.

What's up with Island Taco?

SensiRider said:

Yeah, I'm sure. Anything I can do to facilitate being (apparently) more local?

No.

I've been eyeing these. General fitness is not an issue, but that's through bikes and basketball and my kayaking experience is limited to rivers and lakes with one short inter-island passage in Maine. Do these trips require particular kayaking skills or just coordination and not being afraid of the water?

The latter... the water is calm this time of year and there are guides. Unless you get seasick it's just a long day in the sun. Totally worth it. I haven't ever used one of the services but I think Kayak Kaua'i is the main one.

If you don't have time to do the whole Na Pali coast hike, try going up to Hanakapi'i Falls instead of just hiking to the first beach. If it's hot, that's almost the only cold place on the whole island.

Also second the Alakai swamp recommendation. Start that hike as early in the day as possible, many days the fog sweeps in from Waiale'ale mid-morning. On a good day it looks like:

SensiRider said:
    Horseleech said:
    ...except that I would consider springing for a helicopter tour. Most of the Island is not accessible to the public, but it's an unbelievable landscape. Normally this would not be my type of thing, but in this case it's well worth it.

Do you mean that the helicopter isn't usually your thing or island travel in general? If the former, I've been skeptical of the helicopters for a bunch of reasons, but sounds like it might be one of those things that's worth breaking down for.

I'm all for island travel when I can get it. Helicopters would not normally be my M.O. - I like to take it easy when I travel for the most part, but the interior of Kauai, and the coastal valleys are some of the most beautiful and unique terrain I've ever seen.

I bought some xeroxed 'secret Kauai' guide that looked super homemade and found an unmarked beach that was down a dirt road as a result. It was an amazing spot where a crystal clear river flowed into the ocean. I spent six hours there and didn't see anybody else, but I did see some crazy sea life - transparent shrimp, red and black crabs that moved by spreading their legs out and rolling like a wheel etc. I'd like to think that beach is still like that, but that's unlikely, I suppose.

• Horseleech said:
    SensiRider said:
    Horseleech said:

I'm all for island travel when I can get it. Helicopters would not normally be my M.O. - I like to take it easy when I travel for the most part, but the interior of Kauai, and the coastal valleys are some of the most beautiful and unique terrain I've ever seen.

I bought some xeroxed 'secret Kauai' guide that looked super homemade and found an unmarked beach that was down a dirt road as a result. It was an amazing spot where a crystal clear river flowed into the ocean. I spent six hours there and didn't see anybody else, but I did see some crazy sea life - transparent shrimp, red and black crabs that moved by spreading their legs out and rolling like a wheel etc. I'd like to think that beach is still like that, but that's unlikely, I suppose.

Not saying that I found a secret beach or anything, but we brought a tent along with us and did some amazing camping. Rent a car for sure. We went spent a night on an awesome beach on the west side of the island after driving on a dirt road through some sugar cane fields. Mind blowing. Damn. You've got me ready to go back. What a wonderful place.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i lived on kauai over 10 yrs ago for a few months and worked for the national tropical botanical garden which is a very interesting place to check out. I have been back a number of times since and the island is still beautiful though more crowded. hurricane iniki hurt the waimea canyon trees but it has definitely come back and is a beautiful place to hike in. kalihiwai beach is my favorite quiet beach spot where the freshwater pours into the sea and you can kayak or nap under the pines. early in the morning on the north coast especially tunnels beach some of the most beautiful shells in the world wash up if you are into shell gathering. the local supermarkets surprisingly make some of the best pok?? around the island, assuming you have read up on that but it's divine- fresh ahi with maui onion, shoyu, inamona which is kukui nut that has been roasted and crushed up, limukohu seaweed which washes up on the north shore in the afternoon. and hawaiian salt. i was there along with my friend claudia, we had a side job selling fireworks in shacks on the roadside for some friends of ours who had a business there who later became kauai police, hawaii 5.0 man.
    to be honest we had quite the routine, we used to get up super early, smoke a gang of herb, go swimming and shell picking, go to the farmers market and make a big meal and then if we weren't working we'd pick an adventure to have either out on the na pali, the canyon, the waterfalls up at the top in kapahi, the blue room, larsens beach, anini windsurfing, wherever and then we'd eat pok??, smoke more, go for another dip, hang with friends and do some hippy shit like yoga watching the sunset or picking fruit or a sweat lodge or a bonfire or somtimes we'd go to kapaa to eat at kintaro sushi or duane's ono char burger in anahola.... and then we'd be in bed by 9ish so we could get up at sunrise again the next day. i loved it there. had to come back to 'reality' after that but it was a beautiful time. sometimes the churches would have rummage sales and i did get a few turntables and records and some incredible old hawaiian clothes made from barkcloth that is no longer made. one thing i loved about it was there was barely any nightlife, everyone was on the circadian clock pretty much which i loved. it was very quiet and everyone was very protective of the fragile local ecology and the way of life. do be careful of drunk drivers, it's a big issue there and i had a friend who was badly injured by a drunk driver not long ago. that's one drawback of the dearth of nightlife there, people drink on their own.
    it remains one of my favorite places in the world.
    have a wonderful time.

ps here was an old thread of hawaiian music:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/62372/

• Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm getting pretty antsy and your comments are fueling that fire.

Horseleech said:
    Helicopters would not normally be my M.O. - I like to take it easy when I travel for the most part, but the interior of Kauai, and the coastal valleys are some of the most beautiful and unique terrain I've ever seen.

Got it. Sounds like we're of a similar mindset.

AKallDay said:
    to be honest we had quite the routine, we used to get up super early, smoke a gang of herb, go swimming and shell picking, go to the farmers market and make a big meal and then if we weren???t working we???d pick an adventure to have either out on the na pali, the canyon, the waterfalls up at the top in kapahi, the blue room, larsens beach, anini windsurfing, wherever and then we???d eat pok??, smoke more, go for another dip, hang with friends and do some hippy shit like yoga watching the sunset or picking fruit or a sweat lodge or a bonfire or somtimes we???d go to kapaa to eat at kintaro sushi or duane???s ono char burger in anahola???. and then we???d be in bed by 9ish so we could get up at sunrise again the next day.

Yes. This is my preferred way of living when I'm able to escape "reality", as you put it.

I do like cold beer on vacation. Any local brews of note? I assume Lihue is the place to stock up on beer for the best prices?

What's the fruit picking scene? I come from a rural area where I know where and when it's cool to reach over a fence for an apple or some figs, but in a new place I'm reluctant to cross boundaries in case I'm pirating somebody's dinner.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    SensiRider said:
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm getting pretty antsy and your comments are fueling that fire.

Horseleech said:
    Helicopters would not normally be my M.O. - I like to take it easy when I travel for the most part, but the interior of Kauai, and the coastal valleys are some of the most beautiful and unique terrain I've ever seen.

Got it. Sounds like we're of a similar mindset.

AKallDay said:
    to be honest we had quite the routine, we used to get up super early, smoke a gang of herb, go swimming and shell picking, go to the farmers market and make a big meal and then if we weren???t working we???d pick an adventure to have either out on the na pali, the canyon, the waterfalls up at the top in kapahi, the blue room, larsens beach, anini windsurfing, wherever and then we???d eat pok??, smoke more, go for another dip, hang with friends and do some hippy shit like yoga watching the sunset or picking fruit or a sweat lodge or a bonfire or somtimes we???d go to kapaa to eat at kintaro sushi or duane???s ono char burger in anahola???. and then we???d be in bed by 9ish so we could get up at sunrise again the next day.

Yes. This is my preferred way of living when I'm able to escape "reality", as you put it.

I do like cold beer on vacation. Any local brews of note? I assume Lihue is the place to stock up on beer for the best prices?

What's the fruit picking scene? I come from a rural area where I know where and when it's cool to reach over a fence for an apple or some figs, but in a new place I'm reluctant to cross boundaries in case I'm pirating somebody's dinner.

re beer: i am not a beer person so i wouldn't know. in fact i'm not into alcohol very much at all, but maybe someone else would know.

re fruit: i would definitely not pick peoples fruit as a visitor. though if you are nice who knows you might get invited to do so at someones place but your best bet is to buy it at the farm stands. you will get good stuff and support the local growers. it's hard to find now but if you hiked the more interior paths on the na pali you could find wild guava growing, that's the type of thing you go for imo.

• AKallDay said:
    early in the morning on the north coast especially tunnels beach some of the most beautiful shells in the world wash up if you are into shell gathering... sometimes the churches would have rummage sales and i did get a few turntables and records and some incredible old hawaiian clothes made from barkcloth that is no longer made.

Excellent. We're definitely into beachcombing and staying in kilauea so Tunnels should be no probably early in the morning.

My girlfriend who is a serious rummager and clothesmaker says thank you for the rummage sale tip. Hopefully some of the older barkcloth stuff is still floating around.

AKallDay said:
    kalihiwai beach is my favorite quiet beach spot where the freshwater pours into the sea and you can kayak or nap under the pines.

I wonder if this is the beach I found (the name is lost to me). There was a small lagoon of fresh water before it flowed into the sea and I swam in a cloud of clear shrimp in it.

The sea looked fairly treacherous and there was nobody in sight so I stuck to that, which did not make me mad.

It was near Charo's house, which I remember for some odd reason.

SensiRider said:

There's a microbrewery in Waimea. Both the beer and the restaurant are decent.

What AK said, once you're past about mile 6 on the Na Pali trail there's a lot of wild mountain apples, guava, and mango. The mango trees were apparently planted back there to increase food sufficiency during WWII. There's lots of strawberry guava in Koke'e.