Dr. Laura (That's Racist!!)

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    fucking hell, she's a dr and she thinks like that? where the fuck did she get that doctorate, did she print it off herself after buying it on ebay? terrifying level of miscomprehension and prejudice.

Her "credentials" as a doctor have always been a bit suspect as i recall.

From her Wikipeia page:

Schlessinger received a bachelor's degree from Stony Brook University and a Ph.D. in physiology from Columbia University in 1974. Her doctoral thesis was on the "Effects of Insulin on 3-0-Methylglucose Transport in Isolated Rat Adipocytes".[8][9]

i always take my realtionship / life skills advice from a phsyiologist.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I thought this woman's career ended when naked photos of her hit the internet.

I'm going to assume that anyone who calls her for advice has heard her show before.

And if you've heard her show before why the hell would you call her for advice??

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

holyfuckhowdidthismumblingassguyjoshlevsevergetajobasatvnewscaster?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    fucking hell, she's a dr and she thinks like that? where the fuck did she get that doctorate, did she print it off herself after buying it on ebay? terrifying level of miscomprehension and prejudice.

From her Wikipeia page:

Schlessinger received a bachelor's degree from Stony Brook University and a Ph.D. in physiology from Columbia University in 1974. Her doctoral thesis was on the "Effects of Insulin on 3-0-Methylglucose Transport in Isolated Rat Adipocytes".[8][9]

So if her phd was in psychology/psychiatry you would call her on the radio and take her advice?

I introduced a family member to my chiropractor.
    Me: Jane this is Janet
    Janet: Hi Jane, I'm Dr Smith.

Jane was so pissed. She said, wish I thought fast enough to reply, Hi Janet, I'm Dr Jones.

I have a different chiropractor now.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

From her Wikipeia page:

So if her phd was in psychology/psychiatry you would call her on the radio and take her advice?

Jane was so pissed. She said, wish I thought fast enough to reply, Hi Janet, I'm Dr Jones.

Point taken.
    I guess if your calling into a radio show for life-advice, you probably could care less about credentials.

On the flipside though, would you take dental advice from a Doctor of Psychology?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

From her Wikipeia page:

Point taken.
    I guess if your calling into a radio show for life-advice, you probably could care less about credentials.

On the flipside though, would you take dental advice from a Doctor of Psychology?

People are always wondering if you should ice or put heat on a bad back.

My mom was visiting a friend a hospital and overheard 2 Drs talking about their bad backs.
    "You should always ice first, my Gardner tells me it works for him."
    "I always do heat first, learned that from my housekeeper and it really works."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Dear Dr. Laura:

Sincerely,

Normal People

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    SCHLESSINGER: I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger, talking to Jade. What did you think about during the break, by the way?

CALLER: I was a little caught back by the N-word that you spewed out, I have to be honest with you. But my point is, race relations --

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians.

CALLER: But that doesn't make it right. I mean, race is a [unintelligible] --

SCHLESSINGER: My dear, my dear --

CALLER: -- since Obama's been in office --

SCHLESSINGER: -- the point I'm trying to make --

CALLER: -- racism has come to another level that's unacceptable.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. We've got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism than ever. I mean, I think that's hilarious.

CALLER: But I think, honestly, because there's more white people afraid of a black man taking over the nation.

SCHLESSINGER: They're afraid.

CALLER: If you want to be honest about it [unintelligible]

SCHLESSINGER: Dear, they voted him in. Only 12 percent of the population's black. Whites voted him in.

CALLER: It was the younger generation that did it. It wasn't the older white people who did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, OK.

CALLER: It was the younger generation --

SCHLESSINGER: All right. All right.

CALLER: -- that did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Chip on your shoulder. I can't do much about that.

CALLER: It's not like that.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. I think you have too much sensitivity --

CALLER: So it's OK to say "nigger"?

SCHLESSINGER: -- and not enough sense of humor.

CALLER: It's OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It depends how it's said.

CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It's -- it depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's OK.

CALLER: But you're not black. They're not black. My husband is white.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, I see. So, a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.

CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the "nigger" word, and I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: I didn't spew out the "nigger" word.

CALLER: You said, "Nigger, nigger, nigger."

SCHLESSINGER: Right, I said that's what you hear.

CALLER: Everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: Yes, they did.

CALLER: I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: They did, and I'll say it again --

CALLER: So what makes it OK for you to say the word?

SCHLESSINGER: -- nigger, nigger, nigger is what you hear on HB --

CALLER: So what makes it --

SCHLESSINGER: Why don't you let me finish a sentence?

CALLER: OK.

SCHLESSINGER: Don't take things out of context. Don't double N -- NAACP me. Tape the --

CALLER: I know what the NAACP --

SCHLESSINGER: Leave them in context.

CALLER: I know what the N-word means and I know it came from a white person. And I know the white person made it bad.

SCHLESSINGER: All right. Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Can't have this argument. You know what? If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race. If you're going to marry out of your race, people are going to say, "OK, what do blacks think? What do whites think? What do Jews think? What do Catholics think?" Of course there isn't a one-think per se. But in general there's "think."

And what I just heard from Jade is a lot of what I hear from black-think -- and it's really distressting [sic] and disturbing. And to put it in its context, she said the N-word, and I said, on HBO, listening to black comics, you hear "nigger, nigger, nigger." I didn't call anybody a nigger. Nice try, Jade. Actually, sucky try.

Need a sense of humor, sense of humor -- and answer the question. When somebody says, "What do blacks think?" say, "This is what I think. This is what I read that if you take a poll the majority of blacks think this." Answer the question and discuss the issue. It's like we can't discuss anything without saying there's -isms?

We have to be able to discuss these things. We're people -- goodness gracious me. Ah -- hypersensitivity, OK, which is being bred by black activists. I really thought that once we had a black president, the attempt to demonize whites hating blacks would stop, but it seems to have grown, and I don't get it. Yes, I do. It's all about power. I do get it. It's all about power and that's sad because what should be in power is not power or righteousness to do good -- that should be the greatest power.

I want to punch my fucking computer screen after reading this. This is more than the N word. This is some evil, twisted shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    SCHLESSINGER: We have to be able to discuss these things.

Actually, no - you don't want to "discuss these things". You just want to know why it is you can't get away with saying "n*gg*r". That's as deep as people like you want to get when it comes to debating race - "how come black people get to say that, and not us?!"

• plenty of white folks got to say "nigger" as much as they wanted for a long-ass time.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    plenty of white folks got to say "nigger" as much as they wanted for a long-ass time.

:game_over:

• Options
    This thread just makes me want to say "douchebag."

• DJ_Enki said:

Is this from Session 9? I saw that movie the other day all alone, at night, in my big empty, creaky house, and ended up sleeping with the lights on.

• bassie said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    Are we really in 2010????

That's how I usually feel about these incidents, too.

But I will say that the charge of oversensitivty is very new millennium - kinda goes hand in hand with last millennium's red herring/duck and cover "you're just being politically correct".

On topic-

Being of a certain age, I was off to college just as the 'scourge' of political correctness was making headlines.

I was like 16, and prepping for college, and my Aunt called my Mom to warn her of this horror overtaking liberal arts colleges. lol. Like she was sending me off to a dangerous place.

I was confused until I got there, and realized being politically correct just meant not being a horrible douche. And maybe trying to see a situation from another persons perspective.

How on earth could a university ask such things of its students? SMH at the damage all this political correctness / oversensitivity has done to the education of our young.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What the caller said is true, from what I've seen - in the last 2 years racial slurs and general ignorant speech seem to be far more visible and "accepted" than I can remember in quite some time. It's like all the racist douchebags feel like now that there's a black president it's OK to spout off with all manner of bullshit and be proud of it. What I have seen - in the media and in everyday life - the rise of this stuff, is more than a little disturbing.

• Options
    SoulOnIce said:
    What the caller said is true, from what I've seen - in the last 2 years racial slurs and general ignorant speech seem to be far more visible and "accepted" than I can remember in quite some time. It's like all the racist douchebags feel like now that there's a black president it's OK to spout off with all manner of bullshit and be proud of it. What I have seen - in the media and in everyday life - the rise of this stuff, is more than a little disturbing.

Yeah. The teabaggers like to pretend that there's no racism in their movement, but that's like saying there's no water in beer. All the bullshit about Obama being from Kenya and being a Muslim and hating America and the whole "take our country back" line tells the truth about these people.

Anyone who is surprised when a Dr. Laura comes out with a big "n*gg*r" rant hasn't been paying attention. For the douchebag audience she's aiming for that rant was a big plus, showing she's one of them. She's been under the radar for a while and this gets her back on the screen.

"Oh, look, Dr. Laura hates her some n*gg*rs too!" Big shock.

Next week she'll be bitching about anchor babies or English Only or some other shit. Or maybe banning mosques.

Douchebag. Humongous douchebag.

• Options
    PelvicDust said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Yeah. The teabaggers like to pretend that there's no racism in their movement, but that's like saying there's no water in beer. All the bullshit about Obama being from Kenya and being a Muslim and hating America and the whole "take our country back" line tells the truth about these people.

The Tea Party movement is about putting the brakes on and reigning in the out-of-control spending of the Federal Government, period. The agenda of Tea Party movement is not driven by or defined in any way whatsoever by any fringe dopes with a racist axe to grind who just so happen to also support or affiliate themselves with the Tea Party movement. That would be like saying that the "Enviromental Movement" (Greenpeace, Sierra Club, etc.) is "racist" because they happen to have some white seperatists in their ranks.

Want to talk about racism? Why don't you take a shot at Senate Democrat majority leader Harry Reid, who apparently can't understand why it is that "Hispanics" have the capability of being free thinking independent individuals who can make political party affiliation decisions for themselves.

• you sound dolo.

• Options
    crabmongerfunk said:
    you sound dolo.

Not at all. Just wait until November 2nd (2010 and 2012.) ;-) :beerbang:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    lamprey eel said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    you sound dolo.

Your face looks like a gaping asshole.

Just sayin'.

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    lamprey eel said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    you sound dolo.

Your face looks like a gaping asshole.

Just sayin'.

If that is what a "gaping asshole" looks like to you in your current life experience, I strongly suggest that you and your partner, him or her, go see a doctor immediately and get that thing checked out (it may behoove you to get an STD checkup as well.)

• Options
    lamprey eel said:
    The Tea Party movement is about putting the brakes on and reigning in the out-of-control spending of the Federal Government, period. The agenda of Tea Party movement is not driven by or defined in any way whatsoever by any fringe dopes with a racist axe to grind who just so happen to also support or affiliate themselves with the Tea Party movement.

I guess all those signs featuring Obama as a witch doctor with a bone through his nose were just a joke.

I guess this whole "he was born in Kenya" line of bullshit was a joke.

Where were these teabaggers during the borrow-and-spend reigns of Reagan, Bush, and Bush Jr.?

(crickets)

They're just pissed that there's a black guy in charge. These are Angry Old White Fools who see their majority slipping away and they're afraid.

It's funny to watch. That their leading spokesmen are cretins like Palin, Beck and Limbaugh just makes it funnier. It would be hard to find a more putrid trinity of ignorant douchebaggery anywhere in the universe.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    What is interesting about this ordeal is I personally dealt with this some time ago.
    I dated this white-chick that felt when she got drunk it was ok to use the N-word leisurely. I put a stop to that when she decided to call me out of my name because she was mad at me. Doesn't make me hate white-women but makes me really think "wtf makes people want to say it with some false validity behind it"?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    lamprey eel said:
    The Tea Party movement is about putting the brakes on and reigning in the out-of-control spending of the Federal Government, period. The agenda of Tea Party movement is not driven by or defined in any way whatsoever by any fringe dopes with a racist axe to grind who just so happen to also support or affiliate themselves with the Tea Party movement.

I guess all those signs featuring Obama as a witch doctor with a bone through his nose were just a joke.

I guess this whole "he was born in Kenya" line of bullshit was a joke.

Where were these teabaggers during the borrow-and-spend reigns of Reagan, Bush, and Bush Jr.?

(crickets)

They're just pissed that there's a black guy in charge. These are Angry Old White Fools who see their majority slipping away and they're afraid.

It's funny to watch. That their leading spokesmen are cretins like Palin, Beck and Limbaugh just makes it funnier. It would be hard to find a more putrid trinity of ignorant douchebaggery anywhere in the universe.

Well said.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    day said:

Have you really become such a tool, that you honestly think this is the problem?

• It's definitely *a* big problem.

All the quasi-racist anti Obama stuff is one thing.

Then you lump it in with the anti-immigrant, anti-MEXICAN shit as well.

Then you polish it all off with Islamophobia and dudes talking about "no more mosques"

It's clear as day. No pun intended

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

Then you polish it all off with Islamophobia

notice all the false analogies and unsupported claims in the following:

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Islamophobia and dudes talking about "no more mosques"

"we'll allow a mosque to be built when Saudi Arabia allows a synagogue to be built in Mecca..."

GTFOHWTBS

since when do we base our standards of religious freedom in America on what's allowed in another country?

fucking douchebags

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I don't question the right to build a mosque near the WTC, just the wisdom. Even though I recognize the overflowing Muslim population of Battery Park City will be without a place to worship.