Dr. Laura (That's Racist!!)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

I literally gasped and my jaw dropped when she dropped the n-word. This shit is so vile I cannot stand it. Don't marry out of your race if you don't have a sense of humor? Holy fuck.

• Dr. Laura apologizes for saying N-word on the air

(AP) ??? 39 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES ??? Talk radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger has issued an apology for saying the N-word several times in an on-air conversation with a caller that she said was "hypersensitive" to racism.

Schlessinger said on her website Wednesday that she was wrong in using the word for what she called an attempt to make a philosophical point.

"I articulated the N-word all the way out ??? more than one time," Schlessinger said in comments from the opening of her radio show that she posted on her site. "And that was wrong. I'll say it again ??? that was wrong."

She said she "realized I had made a horrible mistake, and was so upset, I could not finish the show."

Schlessinger said she pulled herself off the air at the end of the hour.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iJKZX7gSqN-vNY8BLBVf5tY0jmtAD9HIA7H80

crabmongerfunk said:
    Dr. Laura apologizes for saying N-word on the air

(AP) ??? 39 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES ??? Talk radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger has issued an apology for saying the N-word several times in an on-air conversation with a caller that she said was "hypersensitive" to racism.

Schlessinger said on her website Wednesday that she was wrong in using the word for what she called an attempt to make a philosophical point.

"I articulated the N-word all the way out ??? more than one time," Schlessinger said in comments from the opening of her radio show that she posted on her site. "And that was wrong. I'll say it again ??? that was wrong."

She said she "realized I had made a horrible mistake, and was so upset, I could not finish the show."

Schlessinger said she pulled herself off the air at the end of the hour.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iJKZX7gSqN-vNY8BLBVf5tY0jmtAD9HIA7H80

What a load of fucking horseshit. She didn't sound very hesitant about saying that shit over and over. And it wasn't just that. Shit was flying all over the place. I wonder if people like this will ever get what's coming to them.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If your like me you would rather read the transcript than listen to the audio.

SCHLESSINGER: Jade, welcome to the program.

CALLER: Hi, Dr. Laura.

SCHLESSINGER: Hi.

CALLER: I'm having an issue with my husband where I'm starting to grow very resentful of him. I'm black, and he's white. We've been around some of his friends and family members who start making racist comments as if I'm not there or if I'm not black. And my husband ignores those comments, and it hurts my feelings. And he acts like --

SCHLESSINGER: Well, can you give me an example of a racist comment? 'Cause sometimes people are hypersensitive. So tell me what's -- give me two good examples of racist comments.

CALLER: OK. Last night -- good example -- we had a neighbor come over, and this neighbor -- when every time he comes over, it's always a black comment. It's, "Oh, well, how do you black people like doing this?" And, "Do black people really like doing that?" And for a long time, I would ignore it. But last night, I got to the point where it --

SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist.

CALLER: Well, the stereotype --

SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist. No, I think that --

CALLER: [unintelligible]

SCHLESSINGER: No, no, no. I think that's -- well, listen, without giving much thought, a lot of blacks voted for Obama simply 'cause he was half-black. Didn't matter what he was gonna do in office, it was a black thing. You gotta know that. That's not a surprise. Not everything that somebody says -- we had friends over the other day; we got about 35 people here -- the guys who were gonna start playing basketball. I was going to go out and play basketball. My bodyguard and my dear friend is a black man. And I said, "White men can't jump; I want you on my team." That was racist? That was funny.

CALLER: How about the N-word? So, the N-word's been thrown around --

SCHLESSINGER: Black guys use it all the time. Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is nigger, nigger, nigger.

CALLER: That isn't --

SCHLESSINGER: I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing; but when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing. Don't hang up, I want to talk to you some more. Don't go away.

I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I'll be right back.

SCHLESSINGER: I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger, talking to Jade. What did you think about during the break, by the way?

CALLER: I was a little caught back by the N-word that you spewed out, I have to be honest with you. But my point is, race relations --

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians.

CALLER: But that doesn't make it right. I mean, race is a [unintelligible] --

SCHLESSINGER: My dear, my dear --

CALLER: -- since Obama's been in office --

SCHLESSINGER: -- the point I'm trying to make --

CALLER: -- racism has come to another level that's unacceptable.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. We've got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism than ever. I mean, I think that's hilarious.

CALLER: But I think, honestly, because there's more white people afraid of a black man taking over the nation.

SCHLESSINGER: They're afraid.

CALLER: If you want to be honest about it [unintelligible]

SCHLESSINGER: Dear, they voted him in. Only 12 percent of the population's black. Whites voted him in.

CALLER: It was the younger generation that did it. It wasn't the older white people who did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, OK.

CALLER: It was the younger generation --

SCHLESSINGER: All right. All right.

CALLER: -- that did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Chip on your shoulder. I can't do much about that.

CALLER: It's not like that.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. I think you have too much sensitivity --

CALLER: So it's OK to say "nigger"?

SCHLESSINGER: -- and not enough sense of humor.

CALLER: It's OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It depends how it's said.

CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It's -- it depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's OK.

CALLER: But you're not black. They're not black. My husband is white.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, I see. So, a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.

CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the "nigger" word, and I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: I didn't spew out the "nigger" word.

CALLER: You said, "Nigger, nigger, nigger."

SCHLESSINGER: Right, I said that's what you hear.

CALLER: Everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: Yes, they did.

CALLER: I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: They did, and I'll say it again --

CALLER: So what makes it OK for you to say the word?

SCHLESSINGER: -- nigger, nigger, nigger is what you hear on HB --

CALLER: So what makes it --

SCHLESSINGER: Why don't you let me finish a sentence?

CALLER: OK.

SCHLESSINGER: Don't take things out of context. Don't double N -- NAACP me. Tape the --

CALLER: I know what the NAACP --

SCHLESSINGER: Leave them in context.

CALLER: I know what the N-word means and I know it came from a white person. And I know the white person made it bad.

SCHLESSINGER: All right. Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Can't have this argument. You know what? If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race. If you're going to marry out of your race, people are going to say, "OK, what do blacks think? What do whites think? What do Jews think? What do Catholics think?" Of course there isn't a one-think per se. But in general there's "think."

And what I just heard from Jade is a lot of what I hear from black-think -- and it's really distressting [sic] and disturbing. And to put it in its context, she said the N-word, and I said, on HBO, listening to black comics, you hear "nigger, nigger, nigger." I didn't call anybody a nigger. Nice try, Jade. Actually, sucky try.

Need a sense of humor, sense of humor -- and answer the question. When somebody says, "What do blacks think?" say, "This is what I think. This is what I read that if you take a poll the majority of blacks think this." Answer the question and discuss the issue. It's like we can't discuss anything without saying there's -isms?

We have to be able to discuss these things. We're people -- goodness gracious me. Ah -- hypersensitivity, OK, which is being bred by black activists. I really thought that once we had a black president, the attempt to demonize whites hating blacks would stop, but it seems to have grown, and I don't get it. Yes, I do. It's all about power. I do get it. It's all about power and that's sad because what should be in power is not power or righteousness to do good -- that should be the greatest power.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    chip on your shoulder?! she acts like electing obama is supposed to instantly erase the legacy of slavery.

at least she was (unintentionally?) right about when she said it's all about power - enough to make foucault blush.

(she was half right about having to discuss these things...but she should recognize that there is going to be a lot of racism to deal with.)

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Do white people seriously think that because we have a half-black president (raised by a white family), people of color have no reason to "complain" anymore? As if his inauguration paralleled the eradication of all that is unjust in our society. Dr. Laura sounds like she's unleashing her own frustration onto a caller who was initially very calm. But then again, why would a black woman call some white bitch about her problems? Most white folks are just never going to get it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Almond said:
    But then again, why would a black woman call some white bitch about her problems?

• Herm said:
    Almond said:
    But then again, why would a black woman call some white bitch about her problems?

X2

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this justifies a slow choking of this ''dr''

• Almond said:
    Most white folks are just never going to get it.

yep, we're all a bunch of devils.

• fucking hell, she's a dr and she thinks like that? where the fuck did she get that doctorate, did she print it off herself after buying it on ebay? terrifying level of miscomprehension and prejudice.

• makes nappy-headed hoe seem like a compliment. please to take this idiot off the air....

• "you're hypersensitive"

hypersensitive??? to racism?? how else is it possible to be with racism. "yeah i'm not really into racism, but i guess i have a low sensitivity, like if i see someone say something racist it doesn't even make me wanna correct them or anything."

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    get a sense of humor

• Are we really in 2010????

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Oh those Jews!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yup. Welcome to the post-racial America!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    Are we really in 2010????

That's how I usually feel about these incidents, too.

But I will say that the charge of oversensitivty is very new millennium - kinda goes hand in hand with last millennium's red herring/duck and cover "you're just being politically correct".

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    nevermind

• bassie said:
    keithvanhorn said:

But I will say that the charge of oversensitivty is very new millennium - kinda goes hand in hand with last millennium's red herring/duck and cover "you're just being politically correct".

I was thinking more along the lines of:

We elected Obama therefore we obviously live in a color-blind country.

AND

The black comics on HBO say n*****, why can't I?

keithvanhorn said:
    bassie said:
    keithvanhorn said:

I was thinking more along the lines of:

We elected Obama therefore we obviously live in a color-blind country.

AND

Yeah, and they also say fuck, shit, pussy, etc, but you don't hear the "doctor" saying all that shit on the air, and she wouldn't be having a caller say that either.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    the nerve

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I can't stand Dr. Laura. I've never liked her since the 1st time I heard her show around 95'. her views of things are 100% opposite of mine.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:

yeah this is obviously a totally ignorant sentiment but it's not really anything new. I think a lot of clueless white people think they should be able to use racial slurs because other racial groups do. what I have more of an issue with is the utter incoherence of this woman's line of thinking. she keeps repeating the "sense of humor" nonsense. "you have to have a sense of humor." about the n-word? why is that exactly?

bluesnag said:

Yeah, and they also say fuck, shit, pussy, etc, but you don't hear the "doctor" saying all that shit on the air, and she wouldn't be having a caller say that either.

Good point.

Dr Laura my husband and his friends call me and my daughter f#$%ing pu#$% C$#t.
    "So what caller, get a sense of humor, you hear that on HBO all the time."

hearing the original broadcast you get the feeling that you're listening to a child. she makes a statement, however outrageous, and refuses to back down from it -- not even in the face of reason. she just states it more and more emphatically. you get the feeling that she maybe even realizes her argument is weak, but nonetheless refuses to budge. stubborn kid shit.

not to mention the irony of this woman sounding pretty fucking humorless herself.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    hearing the original broadcast you get the feeling that you're listening to a child. she makes a statement, however outrageous, and refuses to back down from it -- not even in the face of reason. she just states it more and more emphatically. you get the feeling that she maybe even realizes her argument is weak, but nonetheless refuses to budge. stubborn kid shit.

It's not that childish; too many adults act like this. At least kids are still impressionable enough to accept an idea that is new to them. Kids throwing tantrums and being unreasonable = normal. Adults doing the same thing = stupid.