Anyone using Protools 8 yet??

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Major growing pains over here.

I have an intel mac. I updated my Itunes and it stopped opening. tried a bunch of things to get it working, switching ram, reloading the application, trashing plug ins...nothing. New User.. BOOM! it works

now i'm knee deep in a session and ... "Valdation Error" WTF??

I know I'll be glad i upgraded eventually, but this is such a monster pain in the dick. Elastic Audio is the shit tho.

crybaby post, i know. just needing to vent.

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Elastic audio is pretty incredible. Although I almost never make beats these days, when I do the samples stay in pro tools. No reason to use the mpc for anything but drums, if that.

But Tom, I'm using 7 and that has elastic tracks. Have they updated it, or did you just make the jump from 6?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    elastic is slightly updated. sounds WAY better.

the whole interface is much nicer, but i still want it to actually work!

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    has anyone tried to put this on windows 7 yet? i have heard both success and failure stories.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I still run Pro Tools 6.4 on a Mac running OS 10.3.6. I tried to upgrade the OS to 10.3.9 when it came out, and it fucked everything up horrendously, including Pro Tools (and running Pro Tools is pretty much the only job this computer has now). I was able to go back to 10.3.6 and get Pro Tools working again, and I vowed to stay the fuck out of the upgrade cycle. I've had no complaints since.

• Just bought a new Mac and figured Pro Tools 8 would be the only thing that would run on it. Now you gots me worried.

• Pro Tools 8.03 on a MacBook running os 10.5.8. No problems here?

Is it a disk issue? Funny FW drives can really fusc shit up.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    tallbobsmoke said:
    Just bought a new Mac and figured Pro Tools 8 would be the only thing that would run on it. Now you gots me worried.

yeah it's all that will run. i'd recommend getting everything humming, and burning an image of your machine onto an external just to be safe. definitely beware of any apple updates regardless of how harmless they might seem.

on a positive note, someone cracked the entire waves bundle for the intel mac, so the $18000 worth of plug-ins may be worth the trouble.

• DJ_Enki said:
    I still run Pro Tools 6.4 on a Mac running OS 10.3.6. I tried to upgrade the OS to 10.3.9 when it came out, and it fucked everything up horrendously, including Pro Tools (and running Pro Tools is pretty much the only job this computer has now). I was able to go back to 10.3.6 and get Pro Tools working again, and I vowed to stay the fuck out of the upgrade cycle. I've had no complaints since.

You know. Even though I paid for the upgrade for my new laptop. I think I may just do that and devote my old machine to nothing but Protools and production stuff.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    elastic audio and the plug-ins are WELL worth the trouble.

• Tom -

There should be a small update from 8.0 to something like 8.03 even on the mac i believe. or are you on that one already?

Are any of your plug ins um, illegitimately gotten gains?

Also, some plug-ins i noticed gave me grief on 8.0x or whatever but worked fine in 7.0x world.

• Possum Tom said:

on a positive note, someone cracked the entire waves bundle for the intel mac, so the $18000 worth of plug-ins may be worth the trouble.

fuck yeah they are. i use the Q10 like crazy (and other EQs) plus their reverbs are worlds better than the pro-tools ones

• Why is vocal aligner so damn expensive? It's so good for fixing stacked vocals that wave around a little too much. I haven't had waves since PT 7 because i purged myself of MOST cracks. lol I would dive back into the darkside for vocal align but i don't think it's even cracked.

I love elastic audio BTW. works great for quick stretching or time compressing samples before they go into the mpc.

• Tom

not a whole lot of answers here, but it could be a start:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=271356

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ehhhemm:

h ttp:// www. magesy.eu/Descargar/vst-plugins/waves

• what you know about running pro tools on OS 9?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    what you know about running pro tools on OS 9?
    i did my time. now i'm freeeee.... sorta.

• Controller_7 said:
    what you know about running pro tools on OS 9?

Pro Tools Free on the afterschool program imacs. I know thee well.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    Possum Tom said:

fuck yeah they are. i use the Q10 like crazy (and other EQs) plus their reverbs are worlds better than the pro-tools ones

I have the Waves suite as well. Fuckin' love those plugins. RBass? Yes, please!