Who's still listening to vinyl?

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
so i just sailed over to CNN and spotted this, interesting little read..

http://www.cnn.com/2010/IREPORT/08/11/vinyl.irpt/index.html?hpt=C2
Vinyl sales increased 33 percent from 1.8 million in 2008 to 2.5 million in 2009, according to Nielsen SoundScan. And though that accounts for less than 1 percent of all music sales, it is a record high for vinyl since Nielsen started tracking sales in 1991.

looks like sales are up...

Comments

• I still buy vinyl, but not as often as I used to years ago. Maybe it's because there hasn't been a lot of new music that I've been interested in buying.

• I dont really buy new releases on vinyl. I'm not sure i understand the point. If its recorded digitally, whats a vinyl pressing going to do if the source is already digital?

This is partially a lie. I plan on picking up serato but until then i'd still buy rap singles etc.

but If i really liked some new release and the only format it came out on was vinyl, i guess i'd pick it up then.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    VYNIL IS MAKING A COMEBACK!!!!!!!
    b/w
    i am listening to Blue Magin-S/T and Lloyd Price-MusicMusic

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i dont buy records as much as i used to, i started collecting in 1990 and around these here parts there was no place to really buy records back then, so a lot of the music i was listening to at the time was unable to be bought/puchased on vinyl format...i find most of the records i buy now are older albums that i have been trying to get for years, converting most of my 5000 or so cassettes to vinyl, not to mention most of the music today, doesnt appeal to me what-so-ever therefore i am buying less music altogether...

then again i only have 30crates of records so my collection isnt huge, now that i have a new house, that might change...lol

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    VINYLS SOUNDS WARMER AND THE COVER ART I MEAN DO YOU REMEMBER READING IT AS YOU FIRST PUT THE NEEDLE TO THE RECORD THERE IS SOMETHING TO IT SOMETHING ZEN LIKE AND HUMAN AND MP3S ARE OVERCOMPRESSED

• Everyday thang..

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've been wanting to pick up some nu-disco, and proto-dance joints but they only make them digital at times and not on vinyl. Weak.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    I dont really buy new releases on vinyl. I'm not sure i understand the point. If its recorded digitally, whats a vinyl pressing going to do if the source is already digital?

Depending how it's done, it can do quite a bit. The releases I do are all 96k/24bit, which is almost four times the standard CD resolution.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah, as far as new music I am buying, I tend to try for vinyl but find it hard to cop much of the time. most of the new stuff I am buying will be punk/metal stuff, and I do better buying at the shows than trying in local spots ... but less and less bands seem to offer vinyl for sale all the time. The crazy shit at metal shows is dudes with $18 CDs. "OUR NEW ALBUM- ONLY $7 MORE THAN RETAIL ... TAX FREE!"

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I like to go to shows and buy records. Just show up 30 minutes early and ask if I can go to the merch table and come right back. I feel that's one of the best ways to support the artists directly.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    smoking_robot said:
    I dont really buy new releases on vinyl. I'm not sure i understand the point. If its recorded digitally, whats a vinyl pressing going to do if the source is already digital?

Depending how it's done, it can do quite a bit. The releases I do are all 96k/24bit, which is almost four times the standard CD resolution.
    I think I only have one or two of your releases currently but I remember them sounding awesome!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I still buy vinyl but not much new shit...since the stuff I want the stores dont seem to have when i make a once in a blue moon visit.

The other thing is I buy mostly 2nd hand wax like I assume most strutters do,....so hows that figure into Nielsen scans etc...

Is there any measure of sales of 'used' vinyl? Id be interested to see those stats....how much 2nd hand wax was sold....what years/styles etc....

And at least if ppl are buying new vinyl today there will be shit for me to pick up for $1 when Im out diggin at 70yrs of age...hehehehe

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    converting most of my 5000 or so cassettes to vinyl,

What?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Who??s still listening to vinyl?

Me!

Duderonomy said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    converting most of my 5000 or so cassettes to vinyl,

What?

yeah after reading that it didnt make much sense....i have a collection of 5000 cassettes, if i could get em all on vinyl, i'd be a happy camper..

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Who??s still listening to vinyl?

Me!

I got to be honest. I RARELY listen to vinyl anymore.

The sheer convenience of and accessibility to mp3s fits my lifestyle better. I'll throw on a record here and there when I'm cleaning the man cave... but the days of sitting around and drinking in the warmth and soul of vinyl are gone.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I got an ipod a little over a year ago and since then it's the first time I have listened to so much digital format music...but that is only commuting to and from work. At home, it is vinyl 99% of the time.
    The dearth of rap vinyl makes me very very sad.

ehh - its a best of both worlds thing - for instance - im on a beach in the algarve right now bumping the hell out of flight school vol.2 by sparkle motion feeling like im in the ending of cocktail the movie or some shit, but when im in the crib i love leafing through records playing them and flipping em over. being on a strictly mp3 diet is some toy shit to me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    staxwax said:
    im on a beach in the algarve right now

Then, dear god, what the hell are you doing posting on Soulstrut?

staxwax said:
    being on a strictly mp3 diet is some toy shit to me.

yeah thats whatsup! i dunno i find a lot of my friends are starting to trade in the records/turntables for some cd/mp3 playing dj type bullshit...

Junior said:
    staxwax said:
    im on a beach in the algarve right now

Then, dear god, what the hell are you doing posting on Soulstrut?

I'm lamping, I??m lamping, I??m cold cold lamping...

• I would say I'm buying as much new vinyl as ever if not more.
    Mainly new disco stuff (nu-disco) and retro sounding house, lots of this stuff coming out on vinyl every week.
    Not too much hip hop comes out on wax these days which is sad.

• I was listening to stax gold soul today which was buttery.