The great Italian sandwich spots thread

Comments

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    Yes Cosmo.

when i saw this thread title i was like oh boy chickies... /thread.
    philly is thee sandwich town. no one can test.

when i taught kindergarten in south philly i would rush over there at lunchtime. they run out of bread by 3:30 but the veggie hoagie with broccoli rabe sharp provolone and roasted peppers is off the charts good.

as for the nolita sandwich thing here in nyc there is a new spot that kinda doin it right Torrisi. Bangin. mulberry between spring and prince. I can't even front on the giant photo of billy joel on the wall amid other postpost homage details they have going on, the food is banginggggg

This place is like four building up the street from my apartment. The space was actually the original Mexican Radio before it became the $300 ripped up blue jeans store. What is up with that place. It has been packed to overflow with people, mostly tourists, since the day it opened.

whats up with it is good sangwiches. i would never have gone in but for a good friends recommendation. you should try the chicken parm sandwich with sides of broccoli rabe and spicy fava beans. the turkey and peppers sandwich is also very good and so is the mozzarella and guanciale with spicy greens.

• That joint got a great review in NYMag when it opened... all I know about it.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    Yes Cosmo.

when i taught kindergarten in south philly i would rush over there at lunchtime. they run out of bread by 3:30 but the veggie hoagie with broccoli rabe sharp provolone and roasted peppers is off the charts good.

as for the nolita sandwich thing here in nyc there is a new spot that kinda doin it right Torrisi. Bangin. mulberry between spring and prince. I can't even front on the giant photo of billy joel on the wall amid other postpost homage details they have going on, the food is banginggggg

This place is like four building up the street from my apartment. The space was actually the original Mexican Radio before it became the $300 ripped up blue jeans store. What is up with that place. It has been packed to overflow with people, mostly tourists, since the day it opened.

whats up with it is good sangwiches. i would never have gone in but for a good friends recommendation. you should try the chicken parm sandwich with sides of broccoli rabe and spicy fava beans. the turkey and peppers sandwich is also very good and so is the mozzarella and guanciale with spicy greens.

They do takeout? We have an infant now, so we can't really sit anywhere.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    Yes Cosmo.

dude. the fuk i look like james beard?
    just kidding man!!
    they do take out like hell yeah good tasty all the days

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I ride for this place in Atlantic City.

• Flomotion said:
    Toronto, Lawrence Market.

That's all.

i'm going to assume you're talmbout 'mustachio' on the lower level.

fusaro's at spadina and richmond is en pointe as well.

edit: just realized this is a re-up of DOR's from page one. mah bad.

don't front though, shit looks TASTY.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    Yes Cosmo.

dude. the fuk i look like james beard?
    just kidding man!!
    they do take out like hell yeah good tasty all the days
    I definitely cosign this spot. the chicken parm is other-worldly. coffee's decent too.

• DOR said:
    Ha, I was the one who first said something in the burger thread.

I want the real deal sandwich. With Veal or Chicken and hot or sweet peppers and/or mushrooms and eggplant.

But it's all about the sauce...

Toronto name your spots. The OG california sandwhich in lil Italy, commisso brothers, Mustachio's, etc.

Mustachio's is my personal fav. But Commisso Brothers hits the spot at 3-4AM when I'm fixin'

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE!!! Please post the spots.

if you happen to be in etobicoke for whatever reason, richview bakery in the plaza at islington and eglinton is nice

• PHX folks might wanna check out the Hero Factory at 1st Ave and Adams...

http://www.azherofactory.com

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    as i recall, Lucca at 22nd and Valencia in SF is real tasty for the Italian sangwich.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I would like to try these, and then drop eight deuces.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:
    You know what else is good. That Dominican spot next to the magazine store on the corner of Spring and Lafayette. I totally can't eat Esquina, Rays, Rice or Habana anymore I've had so much of it over the last decade.

Yea and cheap too - but they ALWAYS, without fail, are out of platanos whenever I roll in. So damn irritating, it made me stop going altogether.

I always send my wife in there, because they give her more food because she's a cute and speaks enough spanish to engage (and I guess I'm fat and they figure I ate enoug). But she says, the guy always recognizes her as the girl that lives on Mulberry Street and then tells her the story of his dughter who was killed on Mulberry Street years ago and then everyone in the shop gets all sad, and he does this every time. So I have to fight with her to go in and order the food.

ha just read this -- is it the dude with the wonky eye?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

if you happen to be in etobicoke for whatever reason, richview bakery in the plaza at islington and eglinton is nice

Good to know. Thx!

I broke down and went to Mustachio???s yesterday to pick up a few sandwiches.

They were already sold out of chicken

Grabbed a couple of the veal. It was a good day!!!

• mannybolone said:
    Don't wish for it Pickwick, just make it happen.

I don't assume LA is the mecca for Italian delis but the Godmother's at Bay City in Santa Monica earns its rep.

This was the first Deli I ever stepped in and definitely the First Godmother and Poorboy sandwich I ever had. I was probably 3 the first time I rolled through. It was also 3 blocks from my High School - SAMO High, so if I wasn't at Campos burritos I was at Bay City. I Tipped off Egon when he first moved to L.A. to work for Stones Throw, and that dude ate there every day for months. There used to be a good records store just down the way on Lincoln blvd. called Platterpuss, and a reggae shop called Raggamuffin that you could buy herb and records from. Some times eek a mouse would be there and if you asked for light green and put a twenty on the counter, he would break you off. No Joke.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    coolchris said:
    , and a reggae shop called Raggamuffin that you could buy herb and records from. Some times eek a mouse would be there and if you asked for light green and put a twenty on the counter, he would break you off. No Joke.

old sandra raggamuffin, punching bag for various jamaicans & out of control herb gate,
    memories

• yo manniver!

have u hit up la espanola meats in harbor city? they make bomb ass bocadillos and they got all kinds of meat shapes if u want to "DIY". itll make u forget about a italian coldcut.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i am gonna put all you New Yorkers on right now! in Little Italy in the Bronx. TINO'S!!

if you are ever up North here go to Arthur Ave and get a sandwich from Tino's

http://tinosdeli.com/

the best eggplant parm here and some of the best sandwiches around TRUST ME!!!

thank me later

• philly folks, paesano's on 2nd and girard is killing it for me.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    So, what's the consensus here? Anyone riding for a spot in SF? I went to Genova in Oakland today for lunch and the quality of the meats was

• is the castro sammich nazi still around? chinese grandma stylee?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    musica said:
    So, what's the consensus here? Anyone riding for a spot in SF? I went to Genova in Oakland today for lunch and the quality of the meats was

I ride hard for Genova. The old dudes working there are out of breath and on the verge of a heart attack, which is exactly the type of person I want working on my combo.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    img src="dirienzos_confectionery" alt="" />

this is the joint in Ottawa, it's on Beech offa Preston in little Italy.

Sooo good and so affordable... an institution in these here parts.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    musica said:

I ride hard for Genova. The old dudes working there are out of breath and on the verge of a heart attack, which is exactly the type of person I want working on my combo.

Lol . There's one dude that looks like an eggplant and has ill red face.

Tuscano salami on Dutch crunch hit the spot for my hungover azz, though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    behemoth said:
    i am gonna put all you New Yorkers on right now! in Little Italy in the Bronx. TINO'S!!

thank me later

:latte:

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    batmon said:
    behemoth said:

thank me later

:latte:

not so much a late pass for me. i used to go to Arthur Ave as a kid and my pops would make me drink cappucinos and eat grandma slices at the market haha

• DrWu said:
    I ride for this place in Atlantic City.

better than the white house you think?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    behemoth said:

thank me later

The real shit in that neighborhood used to be Mike's Deli inside the Arthur Ave market, although the guys working the counter were such guido retards. There was another place called Mama's on Lorillard or Hughes that had odd hours but really good sandwiches. I don't remember Tino's though. Man I haven't been up there in a long time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The deli inside the market is still there. Good ass shit.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    guido retards.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    salumeria biellese italian combo best in NY by many miles.

i walk by this place all the time and just had one on your rec. combo large was as big as my head but not really all that special.