New Finds Post 8/4 (scared of Rock's super finds!)

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Rockadelic shut down the show with his "no records in..." uber-finds so rather than tarnish the pure beauty of his thread, I thought id better just start a fresh post.

the bulk was from some unexpected house calls and local connects who know my tastes, but this pile includes a beautiful stack bought from Jonny a few weeks back when i was in NYC, plus a few other nice NYC buys (not finds, buys - the store owners 'found' them, i just 'bought' them haha) incl a stop at Big City. I must say the current crop of NYC stores is so much cooler than the old 80s days of Bleecker Bobs, Sullivan st, Venus, etc. but then the clientele has shifted, people really arent gripping for old Cure and Smiths 45s anymore.

Comments

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    nice "finds" sir! the critters LP has been getting heavy rotation this summer

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    nice finds Karl, that 5 Keys "d*ck" cover cracks me up. Wish the music on it was a bit stronger though.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    holmes said:
    nice finds Karl, that 5 Keys "d*ck" cover cracks me up. Wish the music on it was a bit stronger though.

agreed, its got the Capitol Records syrup schmaltz drenching the tunes into sogginess.

the weird thing is ive seen about 3-4 of those wiener covers (in person), but never the airbrushed one. which tells me maybe the airbrushed one is the rare one. kinda like the moms apple pie with the barbed wire in the pie.

I also have never seen the airbrushed one. weird.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    after 24 straight hours of researching, talking to people and just using the better part of my brain i am 99.9% this is original. considering the fact it came from a guy who didn't buy any records post 1990 it is even safer to say

• my god, are you guys ever pulling ridiculous heat!

did you have to shell out for "spacing out"?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    behemoth said:
    after 24 straight hours of researching, talking to people and just using the better part of my brain i am 99.9% this is original. considering the fact it came from a guy who didn't buy any records post 1990 it is even safer to say

Allow me to simply day congrats, dude! That is a fucking amazing find. I know that album has its detractors, but there are joints on that album that hit as hard as anything you'll hear anywhere. Mega props!

behemoth said:

:face_melt:

crabmongerfunk said:
    my god, are you guys ever pulling ridiculous heat!

it was in a collection that i made a few boxes out of. the seller didn't know what it was as he had inherited stuff over the years and bought shit in weird places. majority of the LPs were punk actually. this was the only thing of its kind in the collection....

behemoth said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

it was in a collection that i made a few boxes out of. the seller didn't know what it was as he had inherited stuff over the years and bought shit in weird places. majority of the LPs were punk actually. this was the only thing of its kind in the collection....

it was meant to be, sir! congrats (assuming this is your first copy)

cookbook said:
    behemoth said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

it was meant to be, sir! congrats (assuming this is your first copy)

first and most likely last. probably soon to be someone else's first copy though

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    As usual, nice finds....and you didn't have to drive 3K miles either I bet.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Forgive the double post from Waxidermy, but thought some folks here might be interested in these.
    Some of the African joints have sounded pretty interesting on first listen (especially that Pygmy Love Songs).

Did some scrounging & came up with unplayed deadstock of a bunch of Roulette 45s, unfortunately these were the only good titles, lots of easy listening pap, but these are solid R&B/Rockabilly/Doo Wop titles. Also got a bunch of unplayed deadstock of that Larks 45. Don't know what the deal with that Frank Gordon 45 is but it shreds :headbang:

DivShare File - Frank Gordon _ the 4th Oncome - I_m Leavi.mp3

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    did a little post lunch dig today...I dont know if it was wise to hit a hot as hades spot after eating a buncha BBQ...I got the meat sweats something fierce...not quantity, but a nice little grip of minty 45s:

Hook-Up.....nice score...I didn't know that Pic & Bill came out on Blue Rock!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

what else did it come out on?

• iconicon 86 Posts
    behemoth said:

Nice.
    Cover looks original anyways, but the labels on the original are stamped in with deep grooves towards the outer portion of the label. I researched it for forever trying to authenticate a copy I had stumbled across awhile back too.

DrWu said:
    Rockadelic said:

what else did it come out on?

Not sure about that particular 45 but they were a local Ft. Worth act with releases on the Charay and Soft labels run by our local Tom Parker, Major Bill Smith....that cut Hook-Up found was undoubtedly licensed by Smith and his "LeBill" publishing. He also had the Le Cam label along with about 10 other subs.....his lower key P.T. Barnum impersonation via releasing "never before heard" Elvis cuts that were really local Elvis impersonator Johnny Harra kind of sums up his career....I have some good stories about him that I may take the time to tell some night when the buzz gets the better of me.

• Real world finds. All for $35.

I think I bought that Sonny Phillips recently & liked it.

• holmes said:

I just played and it is pretty good. One of the better Prestige releases.

• holmes said:

I just played and it is pretty good. One of the better Prestige releases.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    behemoth said:

congrats dude, yeah that looks as original as they come.. your hands got to have been shaking just a little bit though, pulling out the wax checking to see if it was ok, i mean pulling out a Greatest Country Hits record from a cover like this one, is a nightmare come true!!!! ;D

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    from this weekends flea, a buck a piece for these two:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Big congrats on the Spacin' Out LP Behemoth.

These are from the past 6 weeks. My local dig had the Frank Penn and the Super Bad Soul LP's for cheap, which made my day. The Saturn'ss Sleeping Beauty, so necessary.

Oh, and N*ah, thanks for the Shuggie! I hope Leroy's arrived, let me know when he does.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I haven't posted any finds in a while, so here's a fraction of some of the stuff I've picked up this summer.
    All dollar finds except for the books. They were $2 a piece.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Breez said:

I love the look on Burt's face.
    It's like he either just caught his woman in bed with another dude, or a recent fart was much more solid than he thought it would be...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    LoopDreams said:

I'm guessing it was you that got that Maranata as a Buy It Now from Uruguay a couple months ago?

If so, DIE. I think I missed that by 5 minutes!

:bizzo:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts