You know you're too fat

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
When you order delivery for just you, and they put two sets of forks and knives in the bag.

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    When after you order the waitress' head snaps back slightly and she lets out a subdued "wow."

• when you find yourself wearing shorts every day, no matter the weather or the occasion...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I say this becaus I am approaching an eighth of a ton, I'm like 243 now. I'm almost tempted to creep up to the edge and stare into the abyss of obesity, but my wife was horrified when I told her that.

You can tip the scales as long as you have good cholesterol, good blood pressure, and do some exercise.

I'm actually somewhat thin, but have bad cholesterol, my blood pressure is fine, but I'm not exercising too much these days. Still, I can't stop eating pork, cheese, cream, and all that good stuff. My wife is forever cautioning me, to which I say, what if I get hit by a bus tomorrow and had a salad for lunch instead of the carnitas burrito with extra sour cream and cheese, would St. Peter still let me into heaven?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    I say this becaus I am approaching an eighth of a ton, I'm like 243 now. I'm almost tempted to creep up to the edge and stare into the abyss of obesity, but my wife was horrified when I told her that.

I hate to tell you, but unless you're taller than 6'3" your BMI is higher than 30.0, putting you in the sadly ever growing ranks of people who are actually medically considered "obese"

dollar_bin said:
    sabadabada said:

I hate to tell you, but unless you're taller than 6'3" your BMI is higher than 30.0, putting you in the sadly ever growing ranks of people who are actually medically considered "obese"

Fortunately, I'm 6'5", but its still kind of gross.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    dollar_bin said:
    sabadabada said:

Fortunately, I'm 6'5", but its still kind of gross.

Have you considered bulimia? It's not just for women anymore.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Eating disorders are not cool. The acidity from your vomit will decay your teeth over time.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    When you're 64% of Americans?

Overweight American passengers have broken dozens of seats on the Queen Mary II, the world's biggest and most luxurious cruise liner, according to Britain's The Sunday Telegraph newspaper.

The French company that supplied chairs on the cruise liner told the newspaper it is repairing and replacing them as quickly as they collapse under plus-sized passengers.

A spokesman for the company Alstom Chantiers told the newspaper that some of the passengers, mostly those from the United States, were heavier than expected.

Many of the broken seats were in the bar and restaurant areas, according to the British paper.

There has been a rise in the number of obese and overweight people going on cruise holidays because of cramped seating on airplanes and trains, an obesity expert explained to the Telegraph.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    You can tip the scales as long as you have good cholesterol, good blood pressure, and do some exercise.

I'm actually somewhat thin, but have bad cholesterol, my blood pressure is fine, but I'm not exercising too much these days. Still, I can't stop eating pork, cheese, cream, and all that good stuff. My wife is forever cautioning me, to which I say, what if I get hit by a bus tomorrow and had a salad for lunch instead of the carnitas burrito with extra sour cream and cheese, would St. Peter still let me into heaven?

I feel you. Since cutting down drastically on beer consumption, carnitas is pretty much the only thing standing between myself and thinness.

• dollar_bin said:
    sabadabada said:

So at 6'1", 240 lbs., Dhani Jones is obese?

BMI is probably a decent indicator of obesity for the non-athletic population, but for people who work out with any regularity, body fat percentage is a much more accurate indicator.

So Saba, get some calipers and find out how fat you really are.

hogginthefogg said:
    dollar_bin said:
    sabadabada said:

BMI is probably a decent indicator of obesity for the non-athletic population, but for people who work out with any regularity, body fat percentage is a much more accurate indicator.

So Saba, get some calipers and find out how fat you really are.

My spare tire has gone from mountain bike to almost Honda Civic or maybe a Kia. Plus I had a dinner party at Carmines last night and the associate lunch today is BBQ. There is no escaping it.

My destiny is to be one of those guys that they have to take out the bay window and use a fork lift to get my out of the house. Burried in a piano case.

sabadabada said:
    My destiny is to be one of those guys that they have to take out the bay window and use a fork lift to get my out of the house. Burried in a piano case.

Rumor has it your Oxfords shudder when you take them out of the closet and wince in pain with every step you take.

My BMI is currently 17.7 which makes me slightly underweight. But I wonder what percentage fat I am. If I lived in a developing nation, would I be considered chubby? Maybe I'm thin bc everyone else is bigger. What if I get heart disease at 40? I eat way too many carbs but am cutting back and eating more eggs and veggie burgers but that can't be that healthy. Living in America is probably the leading cause of most health problems. I've consumed half a bottle of BBQ sauce by myself in the past couple weeks. Is that too much for a vegetarian?

Almond said:
    I've consumed half a bottle of BBQ sauce by myself in the past couple weeks.

Half a bottle of BBQ sauce? I guess we'll see you on The Biggest Loser in a few months along with Saba.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Almond said:
    I've consumed half a bottle of BBQ sauce by myself in the past couple weeks.

Half a bottle of BBQ sauce? I guess we'll see you on The Biggest Loser in a few months along with Saba.

Word. We're gonna have to change your name to Macadamia.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    How do you figure out your BMI? Is there a monitor at the drug store like for your heart?

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

I've heard this several times as an argument against BMI - "Well, that would mean that Mike Tyson / Barry Bonds / etc is obese!" and always thought it was kind of bogus. I guess the concern is that BMI, as an over-simplified index, will falsely convince somebody that they're overweight. However, the tiny fraction of people who reach a 30 BMI with low body fat got there by hard work and careful eating. They know exactly where they stand.

And likewise, what's the chance that somebody who's not paying attention to diet and exercise gets concerned about their BMI only to discover that, who could have guessed, they're actually solid muscle?

I agree that body fat percentage is a more useful measurement, but I don't think the edge cases invalidate BMI as a diagnostic tool. For me the main place it gets problematic is if health insurers start using BMI in their risk calculations without taking other indicators of fitness into account.

bassie said:
    How do you figure out your BMI? Is there a monitor at the drug store like for your heart?

Body Mass Index is a statistical measure of weight based on weight and height.

BMI=mass(kg) / height(m)squared

BMI=mass(lb)(703) / height(in)squared

Saba is (243lbs)(703) / (77in)(77in) = 28.8 which classifies him as overweight. At 30 he would be in Obese Class 1.

Wiki or Google it; BMI is an extremely popular and widely used measure. My criticism of BMI is that statistically I don't think it can be applied to other populations (fat in Cambodia is not the same as fat in Philadelphia). Japan and Singapore have slightly different classifications (Saba would be obese in those countries). Also, it doesn't apply to all body types (i.e. athletes as mentioned above). Anyone else annoyed by statistically normalized shit that is skewed in favor of an already unhealthy population? According to the index I can gain 40 pounds and still be in the "normal" range (I'm 63 in and 100 lb). Bullshit. Stats people speak up!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i'm "normal"

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Almond said:
    Living in America is probably the leading cause of most health problems.

Mental health problems, maybe. I mean, when the Godfather came back with that bullsh*t, Hollywood-ized, mid-80s showfunk and turned up in a Rocky moovee wearing that gaudy-as-fu*k, glittery USA cape, I damn near lost my mind.

• Almond said:
    fat in Cambodia is not the same as fat in Philadelphia

Sorry but that statement made me cringe pretty hard... Have you ever been in Cambodia ? They have way more serious issues to solve before calculating their BMI...

ameldabee said:
    Almond said:
    fat in Cambodia is not the same as fat in Philadelphia

Sorry but that statement made me cringe pretty hard... Have you ever been in Cambodia ? They have way more serious issues to solve before calculating their BMI...

That was my intent. We calculate our BMIs and consider ourselves "normal" and "overweight" based on an index that fails to take into account other populations and the unequal distribution of resources/wealth/food across other regions of the globe. Places like Cambodia should highlight the fact that our perceptions are skewed by an internal sense of averageness reflected in a normal distribution that is not transitive. I think the BMI should be renamed the American BMI, and that the WHO should NOT use it. Furthermore, I was speaking from a statistical point of view (in the academic sense of the word), and was not necessarily making political implications.

And no, I have not been to Cambodia. But I have been to India and Singapore (not the same as Cambodia, I know) and am grateful for the infrastructure and resources I am surrounded with.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    cove said:
    i'm "normal"

Yea me too - 5'2" - 125lbs

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I'm 5'2" 67 kg (around 148 lbs)

I'M PHAT.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Obesity in this country is definitely way out of control these days. I used to study this shit in grad school before I had to drop out b/c of my own health problems and let me tell you the numbers are fucking scary. As little information as there exists out there for children, parents are also grossly misinformed when it comes to information on healthy food choices (for both themselves an their kids). There is a seemingly limitless amount of money in the world that supports the delivery of junk food to our youth, and frighteningly little support for folks and companies with a genuine interest in keeping us healthy. What frightens me even more are the insane amounts of preservatives and additives that are simply a part of people's diets these days and which we still know practically nothing about. Preservatives, artificial colors, sweeteners, thickeners, and what have you are all essentially question marks we're putting in our bodies and simply hoping don't fuck shit up. Look at the list of ingredients on pretty much any snack food or cereal and see how many ingredients you can actually identify without wikipedia. Lol. It's fucking nuts.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    bassie said:
    cove said:
    i'm "normal"

Yea me too - 5'2" - 125lbs

kind of expected to be underweight, or something. tall n lanky related

• BreakSelf said:
    Obesity in this country is definitely way out of control these days. I used to study this shit in grad school before I had to drop out b/c of my own health problems and let me tell you the numbers are fucking scary. As little information as there exists out there for children, parents are also grossly misinformed when it comes to information on healthy food choices (for both themselves an their kids). There is a seemingly limitless amount of money in the world that supports the delivery of junk food to our youth, and frighteningly little support for folks and companies with a genuine interest in keeping us healthy. What frightens me even more are the insane amounts of preservatives and additives that are simply a part of people's diets these days and which we still know practically nothing about. Preservatives, artificial colors, sweeteners, thickeners, and what have you are all essentially question marks we're putting in our bodies and simply hoping don't fuck shit up. Look at the list of ingredients on pretty much any snack food or cereal and see how many ingredients you can actually identify without wikipedia. Lol. It's fucking nuts.

big ol cosign

our food culture has basically been turned over to processed foods manufacturers.
    coca cola, heinz ketchup, aunt jemima
    corn derivative garbage lowest common denominator cheap byproduct industrial trash
    but people think its dope cause it has nice packaging, lots of sweetners and a bangin add campaign

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    BreakSelf said:

big ol cosign

our food culture has basically been turned over to processed foods manufacturers.
    coca cola, heinz ketchup, aunt jemima
    corn derivative garbage lowest common denominator cheap byproduct industrial trash
    but people think its dope cause it has nice packaging, lots of sweetners and a bangin add campaign

this is all common knowledge at this point (to any decently educated individual). its a governmental issue, period.