Corinne Bailey Rae - Closer

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Have we discussed this joint yet? Really feelin' this song and video. Corinne Bailey Rae is looking GOOD! Plaese to post your opinions......

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its alright. Its sounds good during the late nite Quiet Storm.

I wish she came out lookin this way....circa Maxwell 1996.

Not coppin the album even if I was a little curious what she was gonna follow up w/.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    not feellin it

baby talk vocals

volvo jazz band

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Her new album is a definite step forward from the previous one, and an altogether darker, heavier proposition all round. A lot of people seem to have assumed that it's just going to be part two, and have passed on it, but it really isn't like that - it's on some velvet glove shit.

I saw her earlier this summer, third on the bill at Stevie Wonder's Hyde Park show. If it had been anyone other than Stevie headlining, she'd have stolen it - one of the best performances I've seen this year. Her band is superb too. They covered the Sly arrangement of Que Sera Sera, but flipped it just enough so that it didn't sound like a straight copy. And, yeah, she looks amazing.

Four-word review: file under "slept-on".

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I have always loved CBR and I always will. haven't heard the new album yet but Closer is my schiiittttt. First album was also real nice although i assume not SS's cup of Starbucks. One of the best stories I heard is when she met Stevie for the first time- when they were introduced Stevie starts singing one of her songs to her. They say their hellos and give each other dap and all that, then CBR moves along as Stevie holds court and converses with other fans and friends. In mid convo he stops because he can hear somebody nearby crying and wants to know what's up and if the person is alright. Turns out it was CBR, over in a corner by herself sobbing, so overcome by the fact that she just met Stevie Wonder and he actually knew who she was and knew her music. Stevie then goes over and hugs her and all that. That's some wonderful schitt right there.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    edpowers said:

baby talk vocals

volvo jazz band

LOL! Ed, I drive a Volvo so I have to like this.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    One of the best stories I heard is when she met Stevie for the first time- when they were introduced Stevie starts singing one of her songs to her. They say their hellos and give each other dap and all that, then CBR moves along as Stevie holds court and converses with other fans and friends. In mid convo he stops because he can hear somebody nearby crying and wants to know what's up and if the person is alright. Turns out it was CBR, over in a corner by herself sobbing, so overcome by the fact that she just met Stevie Wonder and he actually knew who she was and knew her music. Stevie then goes over and hugs her and all that. That's some wonderful schitt right there.

Wow. Great story.