Axelrod comp compiled by Egon...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I read the titles, and I think I have it all. There was also an anthonlogy of sorts released on the austrailian Ascention label a few years back that was much more detailed than this.

When is someone going to release the Cannonball OST?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I read the titles, and I think I have it all. There was also an anthonlogy of sorts released on the austrailian Ascention label a few years back that was much more detailed than this.

Yeah, I thought the $tateside comps (there were 2, methinks) were solid.

• I just hope Egon does the liner notes. His notes are always unintenionally hilarious ("!!!!" galore).

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I wish there was some unreleased takes or different mixes or something on this compilation... nothing on here that hasn't been comped before right?

Those Stateside ones were pretty good in comparison...

b

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wish there was some unreleased takes or different mixes or something on this compilation... nothing on here that hasn't been comped before right?

b

There are some alternative mixes but they'll be released separately through Stonesthrow.

One thing to keep in mind is that Egon only had access to Capitol vaults and that's it - so there's a lot of excellent Axelrod ("Seriously Deep" for example) that was not within his reach. This said, I expect this to be really fucking good. Everything is remastered if I'm not mistaken so it should sound great.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    There are some alternative mixes but they'll be released separately through Stonesthrow.

Can't wait to check that!!!!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just hope Egon does the liner notes. His notes are always unintenionally hilarious ("!!!!" galore).

Too much eBay.

• I read the titles, and I think I have it all. There was also an anthonlogy of sorts released on the austrailian Ascention label a few years back that was much more detailed than this.

those Ascention dudes are shady.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

What a dope cover though, with Earth Rot in the sideview mirror.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I read that the OST for Le Voleur de Crimes (Crime Thief) is Mass in F Minor by the Electric Prunes. Anyone know if this soundtrack has been released and if it's just that whole Mass LP?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

b

One thing to keep in mind is that Egon only had access to Capitol vaults and that's it - so there's a lot of excellent Axelrod ("Seriously Deep" for example) that was not within his reach. This said, I expect this to be really fucking good. Everything is remastered if I'm not mistaken so it should sound great.

Still, all of those songs have already appeared on Axelrod comps and others.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind is that Egon only had access to Capitol vaults and that's it - so there's a lot of excellent Axelrod ("Seriously Deep" for example) that was not within his reach.

Correct. In other words, it was just the "album masters" as well as single masters, not the multi-tracks. I had told Egon to hunt down any radio spots that may lurk, but by the time I knew of this project, everything was in the mastering stages.

This said, I expect this to be really fucking good. Everything is remastered if I'm not mistaken so it should sound great.

It depends on who did the mastering too, and how. Capitol has been known to tweak, EQ, and No-Noise their older material beyond anything, and I would hate for this work to suffer from someone's attempt at de-hissing because they want to make it sound digital.

• Yaaaawwwwnn

Hard to decide which of these two I'm more bored by right now....

Yaaaawwwwnn

Meaning?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yaaaawwwwnn

Meaning?

Axelrod or Egon?

• stonesthrow or david axelrod ?

• Yaaaawwwwnn

Meaning?

Pretty self-explanatory.

Axelrod is hardly as relevant as he was three-four years ago.

And, the reissue game really needs to step it up to that next level. Egon's good at what he does but ALL the Axelrod stuff has been put out there and whoever was interested in it, bought it already. This just seems like flogging a dead horse. At this point, it's ridiculous that collectors who ARE in the position to reissue worthwhile material, refuse to let a wider audience in on the hidden gems in their stash. So, they keep compiling the same middle-of-the-road or been-there-done-that ish ad nauseum. We're not stupid and the game is just tired, man.

No diss, but seriously, time to either go all the way with this shit or get the fuck outta here.

• great minds must think alike we wrote that shit the same time.

Yaaaawwwwnn

Meaning?

Pretty self-explanatory.

Not really, I didn't know if you were referring to the two things I quoted, or certain people. Thus, I ask. Now I know.

Axelrod is hardly as relevant as he was three-four years ago.

And, the reissue game really needs to step it up to that next level. Egon's good at what he does but ALL the Axelrod stuff has been put out there and whoever was interested in it, bought it already. This just seems like flogging a dead horse. At this point, it's ridiculous that collectors who ARE in the position to reissue worthwhile material, refuse to let a wider audience in on the hidden gems in their stash. So, they keep compiling the same middle-of-the-road or been-there-done-that ish ad nauseum. We're not stupid and the game is just tired, man.

No diss, but seriously, time to either go all the way with this shit or get the fuck outta here.

The reissues and comps of Axelrod's work have all been done outside of the U.S., and this is one of the first times where Capitol is making an effort to promote his work. But one can ask "to whom?" and "why now?"

I do think the CD issues of Axelrod's first three albums were at times muddy. One can't say that "time" is a contributor or the condition of the tapes were crappy (unless they were). This is David Axelrod, not The Beatles, and those three albums were all pre-1974, so the tapes are as good as how they were stored. Mastering is key, and I want to know who did the remastering on this project.

I would love to hear new Axelrod compilations, or do it Deluxe Edition style. Do a nice remaster of the album proper, then go through any existing multi-tracks and find alternate takes, false starts, or strip the entire song down and just deliver the drum, bass, and guitar tracks. In this case, if Egon only had access to the album masters, then that's what he had. I am sure any existing multi-tracks aren't hard to find, it would be a matter of who possessed the original session sheets, the tracking info.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I see "Pula Yeta" is on there...is it a remaster/remix? I have the 45 and even though it is a beautiful song, it could be a face melter if the bass and drums were jacked up a bit, they are kinda buried...looks like a cool comp though.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    I see "Pula Yeta" is on there...is it a remaster/remix? I have the 45 and even though it is a beautiful song, it could be a face melter if the bass and drums were jacked up a bit, they are kinda buried...looks like a cool comp though.

there's gonna be a 12" with the instrumental of this. also an instrumental of a song from earth rot with those crazy bloop noises.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    thats because half of that one is Heavy Axe which is not one of his better releases. the other half is random jazz prods.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Everything is remastered if I'm not mistaken so it should sound great.

I don't get this "remastering" thing. Isn't part of the mystique of Axelrod his skill as a producer and an engineer? Part of what makes his shit dope is the sound of it. Thus, why "remaster" and change "how" something sounds when the original "how it sounds" is why it's any good in the first place? I guess it all depends on what "remastering" really means.

I agree that this is 3 or 4 years too late, too.

-e

• Everything is remastered if I'm not mistaken so it should sound great.

I don't get this "remastering" thing. Isn't part of the mystique of Axelrod his skill as a producer and an engineer? Part of what makes his shit dope is the sound of it. Thus, why "remaster" and change "how" something sounds when the original "how it sounds" is why it's any good in the first place? I guess it all depends on what "remastering" really means.

I agree that this is 3 or 4 years too late, too.

-e

i think you misunderstand what mastering is. mastering doesn't have anything to do with axelrod's skill as a producer or engineer, not does it have anything to do with the mixdown. the probably just remastered the stuff becuase it was recorded at different times for different sessions ??? someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that comps are always remastered for this reason. the thing here is that they're rematering from the original sources (rather than from previous CDs and whatnot).

I don't think this comp is "3 or 4 years too late". I got into Axelrod back in 1987, so what's 3 or 4 years since the 80s matter? There's always going to be new people getting into his stuff because it's quality, and for them it's not too late.

The pictures of Axelrod in the studio with Earl Palmer & Barnum are incredible -- http://stonesthrow.com/news/axelrod/anthology.html

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    No need for hating. If you have all the OGs and other comps and don't feel Axelrod as much as you used to, move on. I think it's great that someone like Egon does this comp. There are a lot of young kids out there who don't know about Axelrod and if the are getting hooked through a decent comp like this due to the "hip Stones Throw" badge: great.

Q to all the Axe experts here: who would not jump on a projrect like this if he got the call from Captiol?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

The pictures of Axelrod in the studio with Earl Palmer & Barnum are incredible -- http://stonesthrow.com/news/axelrod/anthology.html

• Q to all the Axe experts here: who would not jump on a projrect like this if he got the call from Captiol?

haha exactly. "eh, no thanks fellas, it's 3 or 4 years too late for that one, go do it yourselves."