The great Italian sandwich spots thread

Comments

• LA is in the suburbs. visitors please to reserve judgement on your limited exposure.

and yes Oliver, though the bread is a toothbeater, I do fancy a trip to Bayside Deli when allowed.

• Garcia is 100 with Defontes, the Nickys is easily a top five for me. In Chicago: Alpine Grocery on West North is the spot, as well as Conte di Savoia on Taylor,.Bari on Grand can make your week as well. New Orleans is also king with Quarter Masters, Parkway, and Central Grocery(The Half has been a road dog to Memphis many times)

• did someone in this thread post a sandwich with avocado on it? come the fuck on.

salumeria biellese italian combo best in NY by many miles.

i like alidoro too though. but the cheeses and condiments are better than the meats. churchmouse is the jam there.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    I actually really really ride for Alidoro in Soho

Pinocchio on semolina ALL DAY.

Some of the spots in this thread look serious tho. Pretty sure Alidoro is straight cold cuts, great as those meats may be..

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    we_eat_trains said:
    New Orleans is also king with Quarter Masters, Parkway, and Central Grocery(The Half has been a road dog to Memphis many times)

muffalettas are no joke...

has anyone been to the Delfonte's location in manhattan? does it hold up to the OG?

there used to a great sandwhich spot on Union St. in Carroll Gardens... it was a fresh mozz spot and they also made sandwhiches... they owned the whole building and sold it like 9 years ago...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Man I want to have a sammich right now.

• Woimsah said:

Kon and Cosmo, love ya'll, but shush -- there are plenty of legit sandwich spots in LA. If ya'll ain't knowin, ya'll just ain't knowin.

diggin for gold...
    north east coast, you can easily go thru 10 spots to narrow it down to ones fav.
    seriously, why should it be that hard to find a real proper sandwich shop in la, without having to be "knowin"
    aside from that 1 pizza spot you took me to, a proper italian american slice in l.a. is next to impossible.
    however, mexicalatteveggieburgerveganfuckoff on every corner...take your pick.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    pointman said:
    Cosmo said:
    Please please PLEASE all "you people" with your "This California spot" nonsense. Please please PLEASE stop it. And honestly, truth be told not even New York spots can compare to Philly when it comes to this lane. Nowhere in the world really can compare.

My local spot.

What about Sarcone's in Philly?

Their Roast Beef with Asparagus is the thing dreams are made of.

Sarcones is truly facemelt but Chickie's makes the better sammich. And they use Sarcone's bread anywayso it's all good.

One of the things about Philly hoagies is the bread. Bread baked in Philly is very distinctive, I've always maintained that it's because the local water table.

But anyway, yeah dudes. Understand what's going down and understand South Philly > Everywhere else when it comes to this shit.

The first thing I eat when I go back the the Philly area, you can't get a decent Italian sandwich in the south. Their used to be a place near my grandmothers in SC, but the owner was from Philly and he had the bread flown down. Also, roast pork, broccoli rob and sharp provolone sons just about any other sandwich.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Parisi Bakery is only real Italian sandwich deli left in Little Italy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Told y'all already I used to be able to get legit Italian sandwiches in Houston...of course the patrons were originally from NYC and Italian (like me).

But why even bother with the pissing match when if y'all knew any better y'all wish y'all could get proper roast beef and cochon de lait po-boys anywhere outside of NOLA?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    No self-respecting Italian would ever use the word "ya'll"

• jeeeeessus....

i haven't eaten all day and this thread is making me so hungry i'd kill for some of these sandwiches posted...

also, although i'm rabidly proud of new orleans and everything related to it, i gotta say--even the best muffaletta doesn't hold a candle to some of the philly & NY sammiches people posted above. sad, but true...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Good to know -- I work in that neighborhood. Are the sandwiches the only thing for which thou dost rideth?

Garcia_Vega said:
    No self-respecting Italian would ever use the word "ya'll"

^^^Pathetic.

willie_fugal said:
    jeeeeessus....

i haven't eaten all day and this thread is making me so hungry i'd kill for some of these sandwiches posted...

also, although i'm rabidly proud of new orleans and everything related to it, i gotta say--even the best muffaletta doesn't hold a candle to some of the philly & NY sammiches people posted above. sad, but true...

Exactly why I haven't mentioned a muffaletta.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Please please PLEASE all "you people" with your "This California spot" nonsense. Please please PLEASE stop it. And honestly, truth be told not even New York spots can compare to Philly when it comes to this lane. Nowhere in the world really can compare.

Fair enough but I better not catch you talmabout any Asian-R cuisine in Philly!

• mannybolone said:
    Cosmo said:

Fair enough but I better not catch you talmabout any Asian-R cuisine in Philly!

some of the best thai food i ever had is in philly, this woman and her daughter turned a section of their apt into a take out spot..and of all places... amsterdam.

Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:

Good to know -- I work in that neighborhood. Are the sandwiches the only thing for which thou dost rideth?

Its really just a sandwich spot. I guess hte do parm stuff too and I know they cater. For a good italian deli, importer type place, with hand-packed fresh ricotta, ten different kinds of prosciutto, handmade raviolis, imported olive oils, etc. On Mott and Grand Di Palo Fine Foods. THAT PLACE IS THE SHIT!

sabadabada said:
    Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:

Its really just a sandwich spot. I guess hte do parm stuff too and I know they cater. For a good italian deli, importer type place, with hand-packed fresh ricotta, ten different kinds of prosciutto, handmade raviolis, imported olive oils, etc. On Mott and Grand Di Palo Fine Foods. THAT PLACE IS THE SHIT!

Ya Di Palo's is ill -- I was more talking about in the cut spots. EG you up on the Vietnamese sandwich spot inside the jewelry shop on Mott (sorry to jump cultures ya'll).

Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:
    Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:

Ya Di Palo's is ill -- I was more talking about in the cut spots. EG you up on the Vietnamese sandwich spot inside the jewelry shop on Mott (sorry to jump cultures ya'll).

No, I'll have to try it. For Viatnamese, we've been going to Nha Trang on Baxter near the park - not the Center Street one, for like 15 years and its always the best. The salt and pepper shrimp is the best. For cheeps you can do the fried dumpling place on Moscow Street, five for a dollar.

You know what else is good. That Dominican spot next to the magazine store on the corner of Spring and Lafayette. I totally can't eat Esquina, Rays, Rice or Habana anymore I've had so much of it over the last decade.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This thread is on some YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THAT NEW IRISH BAR ON SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD SHIT SO REAL SON bullshit. "Italian sandwich." WHO EVEN SAYS THAT. Jesus fucking Christ. I can't even hack it. I'm out.

bye

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I make delicious veggie meatball sandwiches at home.
    Fake meat is the new Italian!

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    The sandwiches in this thread look far better than anything in that hamburger thread.

:freeway:

sabadabada said:
    You know what else is good. That Dominican spot next to the magazine store on the corner of Spring and Lafayette. I totally can't eat Esquina, Rays, Rice or Habana anymore I've had so much of it over the last decade.

Yea and cheap too - but they ALWAYS, without fail, are out of platanos whenever I roll in. So damn irritating, it made me stop going altogether.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    Yes Cosmo.

when i saw this thread title i was like oh boy chickies... /thread.
    philly is thee sandwich town. no one can test.

when i taught kindergarten in south philly i would rush over there at lunchtime. they run out of bread by 3:30 but the veggie hoagie with broccoli rabe sharp provolone and roasted peppers is off the charts good.

as for the nolita sandwich thing here in nyc there is a new spot that kinda doin it right Torrisi. Bangin. mulberry between spring and prince. I can't even front on the giant photo of billy joel on the wall amid other postpost homage details they have going on, the food is banginggggg

AKallDay said:
    Yes Cosmo.

when i taught kindergarten in south philly i would rush over there at lunchtime. they run out of bread by 3:30 but the veggie hoagie with broccoli rabe sharp provolone and roasted peppers is off the charts good.

as for the nolita sandwich thing here in nyc there is a new spot that kinda doin it right Torrisi. Bangin. mulberry between spring and prince. I can't even front on the giant photo of billy joel on the wall amid other postpost homage details they have going on, the food is banginggggg

This place is like four building up the street from my apartment. The space was actually the original Mexican Radio before it became the $300 ripped up blue jeans store. What is up with that place. It has been packed to overflow with people, mostly tourists, since the day it opened.

And the new mediteranian place down the street where the batik fabric store used to be, then barber shop and jewelry store, is also good.

Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:

Yea and cheap too - but they ALWAYS, without fail, are out of platanos whenever I roll in. So damn irritating, it made me stop going altogether.

I always send my wife in there, because they give her more food because she's a cute and speaks enough spanish to engage (and I guess I'm fat and they figure I ate enoug). But she says, the guy always recognizes her as the girl that lives on Mulberry Street and then tells her the story of his dughter who was killed on Mulberry Street years ago and then everyone in the shop gets all sad, and he does this every time. So I have to fight with her to go in and order the food.

sabadabada said:
    AKallDay said:
    Yes Cosmo.

This place is like four building up the street from my apartment. The space was actually the original Mexican Radio before it became the $300 ripped up blue jeans store. What is up with that place. It has been packed to overflow with people, mostly tourists, since the day it opened.

I believe I had the turkey there by itself, not as a sandwich (been trying to cut down on the bread intake). They said that that was thee thing to get, however it sorta just tasted like normal turkey to me. BUT, I need to further investigate the other options, as I've heard nothing but good things.

It's a new set menu for dinner night featuring one app, one entree, and one dessert, and there are no reservations, so that's why you always see it buzzing.

And yes - the Billy Joel pic is super, super fresh.