The great Italian sandwich spots thread

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Don't wish for it Pickwick, just make it happen.

I don't assume LA is the mecca for Italian delis but the Godmother's at Bay City in Santa Monica earns its rep.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oh, at Salumi up in Seattle deserves a mention too, even if lines are 30-40 minutes. Their cured meats are the shit but I tried their meatball sub the last time I was there and it was a minor revelation.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    For LA, don't sleep on Santoro's in Burbank. Not the most lovely place to sit on the inside, pretty depressing actually, but shit's mad tasty:

In NY, I actually really really ride for Alidoro in Soho:

Woimsah said:
    For LA, don't sleep on Santoro's in Burbank.

What's the go-to sammich there? I don't get up to Burbank that often but maybe on my next Atomic run, I'll peep.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ha, I was the one who first said something in the burger thread.

I want the real deal sandwich. With Veal or Chicken and hot or sweet peppers and/or mushrooms and eggplant.

But it's all about the sauce...

Toronto name your spots. The OG california sandwhich in lil Italy, commisso brothers, Mustachio's, etc.

Mustachio's is my personal fav. But Commisso Brothers hits the spot at 3-4AM when I'm fixin'

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE!!! Please post the spots.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i like the dc location better, but there is also a bethesda one too

use to hit this wheaton md place in the 80's + 90's

NOVA pickings are slim
    back in the day i managed a sam goody store
    across the hall from the og italian store in the 7 corners mall

better than nothing

back in st lou the choice was

or

• proper deli style sandwiches in la ? yea right.... better luck finding a good slice of pizza.

most places dont do italian sandwiches correctly.

here in boston, ive tried many spots... the best is from bottega fiorintina. matter of fact, best ive had worldwide.
    fresh cuts in front of you... banana peppers, oil n vinegar, salt n pepper, tomato, lettuce.

no.. there is not supposed to be "ham" slices on any italian.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Odub you got a good East Bay spot? I was talking to my sister the other day about how it's pretty lacking, lotsa jewish-style or wavy west coast sandwich spots but *real* italian is tough to come by.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Massimo's, Huntington Beach, CA

Mafia
    mortadella, salami, capicollo, cheese, roast beef, ham, extra meat

My favorite sandwich ever, and it's actually cold.

http://www.allmenus.com/ca/north-coast/39128-massimos-pizza/menu/lunch/

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    In NY, I actually really really ride for Alidoro in Soho:

Yeah, this gets my NYC vote for sure.

good baltimore spot

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Please please PLEASE all "you people" with your "This California spot" nonsense. Please please PLEASE stop it. And honestly, truth be told not even New York spots can compare to Philly when it comes to this lane. Nowhere in the world really can compare.

My local spot.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

No, no ham in the Godmother.

spelunk said:
    Odub you got a good East Bay spot? I was talking to my sister the other day about how it's pretty lacking, lotsa jewish-style or wavy west coast sandwich spots but *real* italian is tough to come by.

I got nada on Italian deli in the Bay, sorry!

• Cosmo said:
    Please please PLEASE all "you people" with your "This California spot" nonsense. Please please PLEASE stop it. And honestly, truth be told not even New York spots can compare to Philly when it comes to this lane. Nowhere in the world really can compare.

My local spot.

/thread

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    spelunk said:

I got nada on Italian deli in the Bay, sorry!

Closest to the rillness would probably be Genova's, and it's not particularly close.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    2nd St. Bakery in Jersey City has been my favorite lately... nice selection of hot and cold sandwhiches and they bake all their own bread... any sandwhich made on their sausage bread is amazing...

• spelunk said:

might be kinda far depending on where you are, but i ride hardcore for morucci's in walnut creek. the 6 1/2 (tomato, mozarella and prosciutto on ciabatta) is absolutely killer.

• For Jersey City, Milano's got the paper-thin meat slices that can really make a sandwich killer.

My dad once drove me into Manhattan for the sole purpose of getting a chicken parm at Manganero's (Hero Boy).

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Toronto, Lawrence Market.

That's all.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    You can't have an Italian sandwich thread and not mention Defonte's in Red Hook. This is true old school Italian joint, maybe some places in Philly and New Jersey can fuck with it, but the rest of the country and Canada, fuhgeddaboudit.

signature roast beef, fried eggplant, and mozzarella

Nicky's special

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    just make it happen.

After reading this thread I went home for lunch and made myself a foot long sandwich similar to this. Very satisfying.

Was set when I lived in Houston as my friend Tony Vacarro's family had a deli and grocery in Clear Lake that was righteous facemelt.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Cosmo said:

My local spot.

What about Sarcone's in Philly?

Their Roast Beef with Asparagus is the thing dreams are made of.

• Roma's Food Importing in Saratoga Springs, NY has the best sandwich I've ever eaten.

They've moved around in the past couple years, and gone from the type of strip-mall places pictured here to a more, "upscale," import shop... But, damn, that sandwich remains the same.

If you're ever up there for the track, it is not to be missed.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    pointman said:
    Cosmo said:

My local spot.

What about Sarcone's in Philly?

Their Roast Beef with Asparagus is the thing dreams are made of.

Sarcones is truly facemelt but Chickie's makes the better sammich. And they use Sarcone's bread anywayso it's all good.

One of the things about Philly hoagies is the bread. Bread baked in Philly is very distinctive, I've always maintained that it's because the local water table.

But anyway, yeah dudes. Understand what's going down and understand South Philly > Everywhere else when it comes to this shit.

Yeah, but then you'd have to go to South Philly.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Manny --
    I believe the Italian cold cut or the combo is the move -- it's been a while though so I can't recall for sure.
    The onions, oil and pepper mix they put on top is what makes it all worth it, though, so cold sandwiches are the move here.

Kon and Cosmo, love ya'll, but shush -- there are plenty of legit sandwich spots in LA. If ya'll ain't knowin, ya'll just ain't knowin.

I also sort of hate bring this one into the conversation because of the clientele that goes here, BUT, the chicken special at Il Tramezzino in Beverly Hills is pretty ill. It's a panini, not a sub, but shit is kind of bananas.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

My dad once drove me into Manhattan for the sole purpose of getting a chicken parm at Manganero's (Hero Boy).

was dessert cheesecake in brooklyn?