Deadmau5, Discuss.

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central

Gets me excited about dance music. Strange feeling/

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/31/deadmau5-hospitalized-for-exhaustion-joel-zimmerman/

World renowned DJ Deadmau5 was hospitalized last night after collapsing on stage during a performance at a Washington DC nightclub, TMZ has confirmed.

A rep for the Canadian-born DJ -- real name Joel Zimmerman -- tells us he collapsed on stage from exhaustion ... at which point, "medics at the venue took [Deadmau5] directly to the hospital, where he is now under supervision."

The rep also tells us that Deadmau5 -- Danny DeVito's favorite performer -- has canceled his next 9 shows ... under the advice of his doctors.

"Exhaustion?" Hmmm...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/31/deadmau5-hospitalized-for-exhaustion-joel-zimmerman/

World renowned DJ Deadmau5 was hospitalized last night after collapsing on stage during a performance at a Washington DC nightclub, TMZ has confirmed.

A rep for the Canadian-born DJ -- real name Joel Zimmerman -- tells us he collapsed on stage from exhaustion ... at which point, "medics at the venue took [Deadmau5] directly to the hospital, where he is now under supervision."

The rep also tells us that Deadmau5 -- Danny DeVito's favorite performer -- has canceled his next 9 shows ... under the advice of his doctors.

"Exhaustion?" Hmmm...

You try wearing a mouse mask and not doing drugs.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Herm said:
    ...Danny DeVito's favorite performer...

Epic.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the og version of "ghosts and stuff" has some pretty great secondary melodies. songwriting missing from most dance music.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

"Exhaustion?" Hmmm...

You try wearing a mouse mask and not doing drugs.

• don't know very much about dude's music; i like ghosts n stuff, but the whole fl studio sample thing and his hatting on dj's make him seem like a real prick.

• Daft Punk copycat...pathetic

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Joel Zimmerman? He's a j-bag?? I hadn't the foggiest.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    THIS IS THE FUTURE OF DANCE MUSIC

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    mylatency said:
    THIS IS THE PRESENT OF DANCE MUSIC

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    mylatency said:
    THIS IS THE PRESENT OF DANCE MUSIC

Pretty decent club choons made better by solid stage show. No more, no less.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

So the dude slags-off DJs. But makes a killing from his shows. Isn't this guy a lap-top DJ?

Not surprised he hates DJs if all he has to do is turn up, press play, and dance about in a stupid hat while a [strike]tech[/strike] 'VJ' prorgammes a light-show.

• perhaps its just not my cup of tea but this sounds like "night at the roxbury" style music to my ears...is this what one might call 90's retro?

he did a free show here for the Olympics and there was a near-riot. people were selling their free tiks for serious dough.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The live shows are great and he's been touring solidly for a long while - dude surely needs a rest.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    robert_murt said:
    Daft Punk copycat

Well, he shows his face and does gigs without wearing the mask, so the "aura of mystique" that Daft Punk do so well is kind of missing.

His songs are bangers, but I feel they sound a lot like studied combinations of everything that has worked on house-orientated dancefloors and raves for the last five years.

The stage-show is cool, but he doesn't seemingly take it with him everywhere. There are plenty of videos of him doing a standard set with standard equipment, a table, the odd disco light and, again, no mask.

All in all the guy comes off a bit insincere?

In my opinion he is nowhere near interesting enough to be some "SAVIOUR OF DANCE MUSIC", to me he seems like a guy who has taken a bunch of elements of modern club culture that WORKS and made his own, easily digestible mainstream package out of it.