Photoshop Question....

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
So I exported the same pic as a TIFF and as a JPG from Photoshop. I have used the ProPhoto profile for the TIFF and sRGB for the JPG. However, when I open up the exported files outside of Photoshop they're not the excact same colour. When I open the exported files in PS they have the same colour. What should I conclude from this?

Any ideas?

BTW I have tried using sRGB for the TIFF export, using Adobe profile for the both of the files with the same result.

Many thanks in advance.

Dress

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    what are you opening them in outside of PS? have you tried more than one program (viewer/webbrowser/etc)?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    its likely the color profile you're using inside PS.
    I've had the same issue, the pictures look different inside PS than outside, had to do with my video card color settings and PS color settings.

• I have been googling around quite a bit and it seems that lots of folks have problems with "save for web" in ps when it comes to colours. On top of that some browsers and other programs doesn't even recognise color profiles. My photos look different depending on which browser I open them up with.

For more info read here:

http://www.viget.com/inspire/the-mysterious-save-for-web-color-shift/

Dress

• Check your photoshop setting, set your RGB to adobe RGB (1998), without an image open. The open the images, convert them to the profile, then save them both again. This should fix it.

Save for web is nice, but it also has a tendency to compress the colors, which it does differently for every image, since the colors are different in all images.

• OptimusLime said:
    Check your photoshop setting, set your RGB to adobe RGB (1998), without an image open. The open the images, convert them to the profile, then save them both again. This should fix it.

Save for web is nice, but it also has a tendency to compress the colors, which it does differently for every image, since the colors are different in all images.

I find it better to do your image sizing by hand (72 ppi) and save a jpeg. Depending on what camera and or scanning software you use, the tiff can have 16 to 32 bits per color channel. Jpeg's are compressed 8 bit per channel files. Also be conscious of what software you are using to view your images outside of photoshop, meaning a shift from RGB to CMYK color management.

• bandagekills said:

I find it better to do your image sizing by hand (72 ppi) and save a jpeg. Depending on what camera and or scanning software you use, the tiff can have 16 to 32 bits per color channel. Jpeg's are compressed 8 bit per channel files. Also be conscious of what software you are using to view your images outside of photoshop, meaning a shift from RGB to CMYK color management.

He's right, making images smaller for web can be annoying, but you only need to do 1 manually. Then make an action of how you made that 1 image smaller, batch process them all. Good result, with none of the guessing.

• Thanks guys. After I started using Adobe RGB (1998) instead of ProPhoto, skipped Lightroom and used Bridge and did the resizing manually instead of "save for web" the colors in a low res JPG and high res TIFF turned out looking alike. I am still not sure what I did wrong but the above worked.

I have a lot more to learn here.

Thanks again.

Dress