Helmsley Morris & Phil Pratt - Little Things

edzillionedzillion 18 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Hey has anyone done heard this on the recent pressure sounds comp 'Safe Travel: The Rare Side Of Rocksteady'?
got this real subtle tip-toe-creeping spooky feel.

any one got any reccomendations of similar stuff? rocksteady is fairly new to me

Comments

• haven't heard the comp but have a good amount of Phil Pratt stuff. If that's the sound you like (dark, moody rocksteady) the Merritone label (check for Hopeton Lewis stuff) is one of the top Rocksteady label to ever put this sound out there. also, check the Caltone label. i would also like to add that anything recorded at Federal studios (RIP) would be worth checking out. here are some tunes ya might like:

• here is another rare rocksteady killer by one of the greatest (if not the greatest) Jamaican singers of all time.... Ken Boothe:

• edzillionedzillion 18 Posts
    nice, thanks for the suggestions.

just for the party, here's the tune I mean (tip: check out the mad guitar skills)

• edzillion said:
    nice, thanks for the suggestions.

just for the party, here's the tune I mean (tip: check out the mad guitar skills)

yes very fortunate to have scored a clean 7" of this. Tommy Rock-A-Shacka and the guys in Japan were nice enough to re-release this one on 7".

Photobucket

• edzillion said:

(tip: check out the mad guitar skills)

This.

• "Little Things" is simply one of the best rocksteady tunes not on Studio 1 or Treasure Isle I've ever heard.
    2nd best Hemsley Morris tune IMO is "Stay Loose" produced by Clancy Eccles (out there on a Heartbeat comp).

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Dang, a clean "little things"? I have a VG- JA blank that will have to satisfy me

and you can chalk this beast up as my #1 caltone want: raerrrrr

• picked these up a couple of years back - I think they were unplayed when I bought them...

and another Caltone monster...

• speaking of Caltone killers this one here:

• picoandsepulveda said:
    speaking of Caltone killers this one here:

Absolutely!

and the organ cut on Jolly is a killer too!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Great thread, dudes!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    A lot of the Keith & Tex stuff is in the same vein. "hypnotizing eyes" and "tonight" for starters

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    Little Things is a big favourite, I always want that track to last longer than it does as it seems like it fades out too soon. Does anyone know of a longer cut of this existing?

• button said:
    A lot of the Keith & Tex stuff is in the same vein. "hypnotizing eyes" and "tonight" for starters

Absolutely! any Keith & Tex tunes produced by Derrick Harriott are rarely ever a let down to say the least (Derrick Harriott is King!). i just scooped up on this monster a few weeks back although mine is on JA Move & Groove 7":

• picoandsepulveda said:
    button said:

Absolutely! any Keith & Tex tunes produced by Derrick Harriott are rarely ever a let down to say the least (Derrick Harriott is King!). i just scooped up on this monster a few weeks back although mine is on JA Move & Groove 7":

The other side - 'Don't look back' - is a cracker too, mine is a JA Move and Groove blank.

• This is very nice. Anyone got an mpfree? More rocksteady threads!

• MintingDown said:

This is very nice. Anyone got an mpfree? More rocksteady threads!

i have an mp3 of it somewhere. got it on the UK Island 7" press. would be happy to send it along but might take forever because i am lazy like that.

hey johnstapleton, are you the same John Stapleton in the UK that just recently ran a session with Tommy from Japan & MC Champian along with Daddy Roy during Tommy's UK & Amsterdam tour? if so, nice on that session. i heard nothing but good things about it and man, i wish i could have been out there for that.....