Eminem's new album, hit or miss??

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I have to honestly say, the stuff I've heard from this album didn't impress me at all. He sounds like he hasn't evolved since "The Eminem Show". What does the Strut think??

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I heard 1 new song I like. Not sure if it's on the album but. It's the funny, sarcastic, sick and wrong Eminem we love. Not the other "Emo" Em I can't stand to listen to.

I gather the new album is mostly the other Em.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I actually think dude is a dope rapper, but I honestly can't think of one song by dude that I've ever really liked.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I actually think dude is a dope rapper, but I honestly can't think of one song by dude that I've ever really liked.

Exactly. I liked 97 Bonnie and Clyde, and did love the below, when I was 17 or so, and a few other of his features, but really never cared for any other of his own tracks...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Cold Wind Blows" is passable. Deleted the rest.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Cosmo said:

Exactly. I liked 97 Bonnie and Clyde, and did love the below, when I was 17 or so, and a few other of his features, but really never cared for any other of his own tracks...

He did pretty well on this joint, too, but Kwest fuckin' murders it:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Cosmo said:

He's extremely skilled on a technical level, but makes terrible music. Yngwe Malmsteen of rap.

And, also, gotta say, probably one of the worst dressed MCs of all time. Just sayin.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Cosmo said:

This is pretty much how I feel about him. I would add, though, that both Stan and Lose Yourself were great pop records, if not necessarily great rap records (does that sound strange?). No question he can rap his ass off, but I can't imagine ever wanting to sit down and listen to any of his records from end to end. In fact, he's probably the only rapper of any real significance who I don't own a single record by.

• heeeeeeeyuge swing and a miss.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Cosmo said:

This is pretty much how I feel about him. I would add, though, that both Stan and Lose Yourself were great pop records, if not necessarily great rap records (does that sound strange?). No question he can rap his ass off, but I can't imagine ever wanting to sit down and listen to any of his records from end to end. In fact, he's probably the only rapper of any real significance who I don't own a single record by.

Exactly how I feel about Eminem.
    I only liked some of his features like on "Soundbombing II". Probably it's because I didn't like all Dr. Dre beats after G-Funk heyday either.

DocMcCoy said:
    In fact, he's probably the only rapper of any real significance who I don't own a single record by.

Him and DMX in my case.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    My all time favorite song of his. I miss when he had this hunger.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    And, also, gotta say, probably one of the worst dressed MCs of all time. Just sayin.

He always looked like he was wearing an "emcee" costume, to me. The track suits, do-rags, etc. He always looked silly, IMO.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    disco_che said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Cosmo said:

I only liked some of his features like on "Soundbombing II". Probably it's because I didn't like all Dr. Dre beats after G-Funk heyday either.

He shares the destiny of Richard Wagner: he`s considered a master of his art or a genius but nevetheless hes pretty much unloved if not abhorred by the critics. The reasons for it are differnt, of course.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I don't see how he's unloved by critics, all his albums are usually given good reviews in XXL and The Source etc....., i don't hold the same disdain for him that alot of you do, i thought "The Eminem Show" was a pretty good album, it was actually a bit on the mature side (save for a few tracks) well written with better beat choices on his part than usual. I have no interest in playing it on a normal basis, but it is a pretty listenable lp.

peace,xavier

haze25 said:
    I don't see how he's unloved by critics, all his albums are usually given good reviews in XXL and The Source etc...

He is definitely not "unloved by critics"; he is, in fact, vastly over-rated by both rap and pop critics.

• its a hit with the obnoxious stripper-esque gals in my city who wear $300 pink sweat-suits, trucker hats and aviator sun glasses who have been cranking this album from their barbie jeeps...

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    disco_che said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Cosmo said:

He shares the destiny of Richard Wagner: he`s considered a master of his art or a genius but nevetheless hes pretty much unloved if not abhorred by the critics. The reasons for it are differnt, of course.

one of the best rappers ever..... making some of the worst music ever. i like his joints about mariah though...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    its a hit with the obnoxious stripper-esque gals in my city who wear $300 pink sweat-suits, trucker hats and aviator sun glasses who have been cranking this album from their barbie jeeps...

I.E. core rap audience in 2010.

I feel like hes saying some cool shit on this record, and I appreciate his perspective and I think he pulled off something really great for eminem fans.

....But i mean im sure as hell not listening to it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tiger Woods of Hip Hop

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The only song of his that I really, really like - as f*cked up as it is - is that song where he argues, ties up then kills Kim and dumps her body in the woods. It just seemed, for lack of a better term, movielike to me.

Now PLEASE don't try and find a way to flip this around and assume I condone the despicable ugliness.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    its a hit with the obnoxious stripper-esque gals in my city who wear $300 pink sweat-suits, trucker hats and aviator sun glasses who have been cranking this album from their barbie jeeps...

This is the least substantial kind of critique to make of music. I liken it to going to a concert, turning your back to the stage, and just looking at the people who are there. You critique the audience but turn your back on the music. The difference between this simile and the reality of your critique is that you do not actually have a perspective on the audience, like you would at a concert. Your private mind-garden stereotype of "who likes eminem" misrepresents the diversity of his audience (Or any artist's audience, for that matter).

I don't think its acceptable discuss these stereotypes with a reductive critique, but I do think its legitimate to point out that stereotypes of listeners are in circulation for most artists and types of music. (Indeed, these discourses of imagined audiences are a big part of what sells records) If you make a point about how music addresses an imagined audience or a stereotypical listeners. Then I'm all ears, because then you are saying something of substance about what work the music does.

My $.02 on what I've heard on the radio:
    I was listening to shade 45 and they played a track where Em raps over a sample from the first mandrill album (Symphonic Revolution? maybe) produced by Denaun Porter. I thought it was pretty sick.
    the "what is love" sample joint with wayne is :why must I cry?:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I kinda liked the real popular album where the cover art was him dumping trash working at a diner.
    Pretty sure I wouldn't have gone out and bought it, but I was working at a record store when it came out and did play it a bunch at the time. The first track on that album was pretty sick, better than the hits from it. Haven't checked for anything since beyond knowing the radio hits.

selling over a million in a couple of weeks is a pretty good trick to pull off in 2010 tho.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    In fact, he's probably the only rapper of any real significance who I don't own a single record by.

Him and DMX in my case.

I've got It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, but the only thing I play off that any more is Get At Me Dog.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I remember when the Slim Shady LP came out it was getting a lot of play everywhere and there was at least one song on there which I didn't mind (I mean, Guilty Conscience basically sounds like an extra track from 2001) but even then the voice and delivery style got grating pretty quickly. As soon as all the tortured artist Stan etc stuff surfaced I lost all interest for good.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    Except for that track off Soundbombing, I've spent most of his career hating on him. I remember once the local newspaper called me "a large Eminem type fellow" and it kind of pissed me off. What would that make me, the peanut Eminem, the Eminem with nuts? I love my dear mother and even though I hate my ex-wife, I don't want the bitch dead, so except for my blond hair I had before I shaved it and my skin color, I had nothing in common with him.
    There is something about the pitch of his voice. I've never liked the whiny voice MC. Normally when I hear his voice, I want to find him and punch him in the throat to make it stop and never happen again.
    I've been a full-on Eminem hater but I am feeling this album. Oddly enough I'm digging the content. The "recovery" themes have resonated with me. After battling my own demons and being supportive of someone I'm close to going through their own addiction issues, I can relate to the material. I never though the words "I digging this Eminem album" would ever come from my mouth.

[del]Tiger Woods[/del] Kobe Bryant of Hip Hop

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The most interesting thing about Eminem is his mindblowingly awful taste in beats/choruses/production in general. I skipped through the new album on Spotify after reading this thread since I haven't listened to Eminem in 10 years (and even back then, sparingly - with more admiration for him as an mc than being actually moved by his music). It really is atrocious but to his credit, he's found a way to become a huge superstar off multisyllabic violent rhymes. Not an easy feat.

It's also very telling this is the kind of rap album that sells in 2010.