DVD recommendations?

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Like many others, I like to buy some good music dvds once in a while. Recently thinking about getting:Fela Kuti - Music Is The WeaponI haven't been fortunate enough to catch much footage of the man, on TV or elsewhere, so I'm curious about this.Also this:Love the album. Looking forward to seeing the songs perfomed.What music-related dvds get regular spins in Strut players?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Also this:

Love the album. Looking forward to seeing the songs perfomed.

This is great...Wattstax gets all the props, but this is just as great and a pretty fascinating look into how members of America's Black cultural elite view and respond to visiting Africa, many for the frst time. The commentary from Mavis Staples is worth the price, and Voices of East Harlem steal the show.

Anyone know why Roberta Flack had her segment deleted from the DVD?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Anyone know why Roberta Flack had her segment deleted from the DVD?

Damn! That's a bit dissappointing???but of course I still have to get it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Available subtitles: English

Available Audio Tracks: English (DTS), English (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Commentary by directors Albert Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin and collaborator Stanley Goldstein

Never-Before-Seen Footage From the 1969 Tour of the Rolling Stones Performing: "Oh Carol" and "Prodigal Son," plus backstage outtakes

Studio Mix Session "Little Queenie"

Altamont Stills Gallery, featuring the work of renowned photographers Bill Owens and Beth Sunflower

Excerpts From KSAN Radio's Altamont wrap-up, recorded December 7, 1969, with new introduction by then-DJ Stefan Ponek

Perspectives on Gimme Shelter; 44 page Booklet

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Watch the grandaddy of all rock movies, IMO still the best by a wide margin.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The Work of Spike Jonze

The Work of Michel Gondry

DVDs that compile some of the best music videos ever made.

Put out by Palm Pictures

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

What music-related dvds get regular spins in Strut players?

This is my favorite recent aquisition, there have been a bunch of new scores for Dziga Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera but this one is the best I've heard, and I don't like most of the stuff Cinematic Orchestra does.

• I loved Music is the Weapon and Space is the Place. I still need to see some of the other ones mentioned here. I know 5 Minutes to Live has some hard to find music related stuff.

• i think this was just released this week. no bother, just get it. well, that is, if youre into modernist technology and all that. its basically a collection of experimental shorts from the 20s and 30s. i mean, i love this era. and 2 of my favorite films are in this which is like a godsend. check for joris ivens' rain [regen] and paul strand's (yes the photographer dude) manhatta.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i just caught this ellington dvd with ella. i dont remember the name but my friend is lending it to me next week, after which ill quickly encode it and yousendit for the good folk here.

how is that serge DVD??? looks hot

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

DONT SLEEP!!!!!!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Two dvds + audio disc, it is very nice.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Sex Pistols - The Great Rock N Roll Swindle
    I tried to bring this up in another thread, but it never took off.
    This movie still resonates today, in a very odd way.
    An insiders look at how to rip-off the public and make a bunch of $ in the music business.
    There are more than a couple of hip-hop artists that have taken many of the concepts in this film to heart.
    Malcolm Mclaren might be the biggest prick in history, but there was no shame in the dudes game. He was always very upfront about being as fraud.

• Two dvds + audio disc, it is very nice.

The concert footage is fucking great. It is 50 bucks though. All the stuff they're doing now is hilariously lame.

Sex Pistols - The Great Rock N Roll Swindle
    I tried to bring this up in another thread, but it never took off.
    This movie still resonates today, in a very odd way.
    An insiders look at how to rip-off the public and make a bunch of $ in the music business.
    There are more than a couple of hip-hop artists that have taken many of the concepts in this film to heart.
    Malcolm Mclaren might be the biggest prick in history, but there was no shame in the dudes game. He was always very upfront about being as fraud.

I find this film took a lot of effort to watch. Outside of a couple great scenes(Sid's 'My Way' and 'Something Else') and some historical relevance(The group was pretty much history by this point and this was the first dirt thrown on their fresh grave), ynless you are a Pistols completist there is no need for this flick at all, IMO. Go straight for the recent doc by the same director, The Filth and the Fury. Better performance footage, more info, certainly far more entertaining and no sour aftertaste like 'Swindle'.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i think this was just released this week. no bother, just get it. well, that is, if youre into modernist technology and all that. its basically a collection of experimental shorts from the 20s and 30s. i mean, i love this era. and 2 of my favorite films are in this which is like a godsend. check for joris ivens' rain [regen] and paul strand's (yes the photographer dude) manhatta.

Yes!! This is excactly the kind of thing I didn't know I was looking for. I went to a special showing of a series of experimental short films from the twenties to the sixties, beautiful abstract visuals integrated with early electronic music. A lot of them were german films, and the shit was heavy. This was 5-7 years ago and it completely blew my mind. I've been yearning for some stuff like that in the comfort of my livingroom ever since. Good one.

And Flomotion, please give us the lowdown on that Serge DVD, it looks very nice.

Good selections y'all. I got some of them already (Sun Ra, Man With The Movie Camera), but keep 'em coming and don't hesitate to throw in some subjective views.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Two dvds + audio disc, it is very nice.

The concert footage is fucking great. It is 50 bucks though. All the stuff they're doing now is hilariously lame.

I really don't want to shovel about fifty bones for this one.. But I love me some CAN.

I just recently bought these

All reccomended.

- spidey

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

these are my fave, plus qbert's wavetwisters,sex pistols "Filth and Fury"as mentioned above and scratch...need more, so i'm all years...

• bboybboy 13 Posts

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    check for joris ivens' rain [regen]

Late Dutch filmmaker Ivens had a really long sustained run - although more linear than his earlier work, LA SEINE A RENCONTRE PARIS from '57 is a concise reflective meditation on the Seine - highly recommended (havin' seen his entire output, this still lingers some 2 to 3 years later in personal memory bank)...