Upcoming Los Angeles stuff?

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Wife and I are coming through LA for 10 days this weekend to visit her brother. Happy to be back in town and have lots of stuff on the plate...except for music...we can't find a single interesting concert on the calendar (although we'll definitely check out the Smell and pehrspace at some point), and the only parties that we're aware of are old standbys that were around 4 years ago: Dub Club (anyone see Rodigan there, recently?) and Do Over (looks like a focus on Puerto Rico this weekend). Any Strutters playing out this week?

Plaese to let me know by post or PM if there's a good musical something to check out between the 16th and 24th. Non-musical stuff too, if there's something you highly recommend.

THANKS!

Comments

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    The Funkmosphere guys + 1 gal is playing on Sunday afternoon from 2-7 @ Gonpachi in Beverly Hills 134 N LaCienega...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Thank you - sounds good. Actually, I totally forgot about Funkmosphere - is that still running at Carbon?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    At Gonpachi? Wow. Should be an, uh, interesting crowd.

Are you referring to the fact that it's in BevHills? Or is it notorious in some other way?

ASIDE: Last time we were down, we took my bro out to Spago for lunch (it had been a long-running joke/promise). The crowd was hilariously pretentious but the food and the service totally made up for it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Gonpachi is typical of the La Cienaga restaurants - almost theatrically overdone with subpar food and overexpensive food. It's not as bad as say, Yamashiro (a faux Japanese castle on a hill) but it's in the ballpark.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I was going to say Ugly Duckling in Santa Monica, but that's tomorrow. There have been posters around my way that have been advertising Zapp and Evelyn King @ The Odyssey in Granada Hills, which is Friday.

Electrode said:
    Zapp and Evelyn King @ The Odyssey in Granada Hills, which is Friday.

sweet!

G & R Entertainment presents Zapp- Evelyn Champagne King Live at the Odyssey Restaurant Friday July 16th! Hosted by Gilbert Esquivel- featuring The Eastside Comedy & Old School Jam with special guest comedians. Must be 21 & over For ticket information please call (310) 518-2229 or for further information call the Od...yssey (818) 366-6444 & we will be happy to assist you.

mannybolone said:
    almost theatrically overdone with subpar food and overexpensive food.

plenty of those in town!

mannybolone said:
    (a faux Japanese castle on a hill).

that just reminded me of Lowenbrau Keller in Silver Lake - is that place still open? faux German castle full of German castle junk...but the food is good, the beer is amazing and it's not too pricey. apparently the owner used to be a set designer (or something like that) and he just kept all the German-r sh*t they made for a movie for the resto. ??

• thiknekthiknek 65 Posts
    two words for you...

Magic Castle

http://www.magiccastle.com/

• thiknekthiknek 65 Posts
    leave on the very beast note

http://www.myspace.com/verybecareful

July 24th do it! IF you can guey

Thanks for all the tips!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    thiknek said:
    leave on the very beast note

http://www.myspace.com/verybecareful

July 24th do it! IF you can guey

I've seen these guys twice in NY, really good, they turn it out.

Out of curiosity, what PR thing is going down at the Do Over? I can't check their myspace.

ketan said:
    Thank you - sounds good. Actually, I totally forgot about Funkmosphere - is that still running at Carbon?
    Yes, catch us monday night @ carbon.

mannybolone said:
    Gonpachi is typical of the La Cienaga restaurants - almost theatrically overdone with subpar food and overexpensive food..
    Manny, ouch... when was the last time you were there?