Roman Polanski FREED, NOT extradited to the US

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I remember a while back people on here were clamoring for all kinds of punishment to be meted out in this case - surprisingly, some of those same people would then go on to lament lil Boosie's current legal status.

Well, the good news is - Switzerland did not bow to US demands and decided to FREE Polanski, because "American authorities did not give them enough information to make a proper judgement (...)".

Sounds about right.
Polanski freed as Switzerland rejects extradition

Switzerland says it will not send Roman Polanski back to the United States to face sentencing for unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, freeing the Oscar-winning director after 10 months under arrest.

Swiss authorities overnight refused a US request to have Polanski extradited.

Swiss Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf told a news conference that American authorities did not give them enough information to make a proper judgement about the procedure which led him to escape the country.

Polanski pleaded guilty to having sex with the girl in the US but fled the country on the eve of his 1978 sentencing because he believed a judge might overrule his plea and put him in jail for 50 years.

The director - who holds dual French and Polish citizenship - has lived in Europe ever since.

Swiss authorities announced that the decision to let Polanski walk free was made with Switzerland's national interest in mind.

"He is a free man since 11:30 today," Ms Widmer-Schlumpf said.

"He can go to France or to Poland, anywhere where he will not be arrested."

full story

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    puh-leez. what kind of information do you need other than he was a fugitive who had already been convicted of the underlying offense and was awaiting sentencing. the man is a repeat child predator and scumbag of the lowest order. fuck switzerland, sissy bunch of neutral money-grubbing dick eaters anyway.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    staxwax said:
    surprisingly, some of those same people would then go on to lament lil Boosie's current legal status

Rockadelic, Jr. (Backpack Rmx.)

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    puh-leez. what kind of information do you need other than he was a fugitive who had already been convicted of the underlying offense and was awaiting sentencing. the man is a repeat child predator and scumbag of the lowest order. fuck switzerland, sissy bunch of neutral money-grubbing dick eaters anyway.

I've never, ever agreed with Saba so completely.

And it's also deeply unsurprising that it's this guy riding for Polanski. I dunno if this is just trolling or what, but damn dude. Just stop, please.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    staxwax said:
    I remember a while back people on here were clamoring for all kinds of punishment to be meted out in this case - surprisingly, some of those same people would then go on to lament lil Boosie's current legal status.

Which people?

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/65240/

Tell me how the Polanski case compares to the Boosie case? So much so that you need to bring it up?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who is Polanski and Boosie?

Are they gonna play in Miami or NYC?

Team Jacob!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    bassie said:
    Team Jacob!
    :cosign:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    staxwax said:
    surprisingly, some of those same people would then go on to lament lil Boosie's current legal status

Rockadelic, Jr. (Backpack Rmx.)

Can't keep my name out your mouth

b/w

Just got off the phone w/ Bo Blunt.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    FREE MEL GIBSON!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Yeah!

Glad to see Swiss legal authorities making this call. Polanski was about to become a poster boy for an embarassing 30 year old legal screw up that has been well documented. After the shit storm surrounding the case caused by his despicable act, there was no way Polanski could have expected a 'fair' sentence, then or now. So he 'sought asylum' from a seemingly unjust legal process. And, with the help of Swiss, French and Polish authorities, managed to stay out of the hands of US authorities. Which is oddly satisfying, especially with all these reactionaries crying for 'JUSTICE', as to be meted out by the US legal machine.

Puh-leez indeed.

Anyway, the guy is free. Seeing the amount of discourse this case generated on here previously, I thought the outcome was worth pointing out. As for the whole boosie thing, just strikes/struck me as odd that Polanski the teen rapist / filmmaker is so offensive to strutteurs who simultaneously take delight in the evils of murderous drug pushing rap / rappers. Just saying. I support neither murder, child rape, or reactionary and demented demands for so called justice. But enjoy both murderous raps and movies.

bw

KAREEN WYNTER, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): It's yet another bizarre twist in one of Hollywood's most notorious sex cases.

WYNTER: A retired Los Angeles prosecutor now at the center of the more than three decade-old Roman Polanski case. One he had ties to only in the beginning.

TOM O'NEIL, IN TOUCH WEEKLY: It's shocking that someone of his rank and his importance in this case would do such a thing.

WYNTER: That former prosecutor, David Wells, who, again, was not involved directly in the Polanski case later on, was seen here in the 2008 HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired." Wells initially told the filmmaker he coached, then presiding Judge Lawrence Rittenban (ph) on the case. That would have violated ethical standards. But the claims opened the doors for Polanski's attorneys who pushed to have the case dismissed, alleging judicial misconduct. That his fate was already sealed before he could be sentenced.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And what I told him was, you know, judge, you've made so many mistakes I think in this case.

WYNTER: Now that very same David Wells who took credit for those backdoor judicial dealings says it was all a lie. Like this story in the film where Wells claims that he counseled Rittenban on Polanski's sentence.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He said what am I going to do? Or what should I do? And I said what you should do is set him up for a 90-day observation.

WYNTER: Wells worked in the California courthouse where in 1977 the famed director pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. Polanski fled the country the following year to avoid sentence. The fugitive director was arrested Saturday in Switzerland. But Wells, a former prosecutor, who's now changed his tune, has also joined Polanski in the spotlight.

Some wonder, was he lying then? Is he lying now? And what could his motivations be here?

O'NEIL: Wells thought he could get away with what he believed was a little lie at the time because the judge is no longer alive. And as this steamrolled and the stakes increased, Wells had a moment of conscience and said, oops. I lied.

Full story

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    We like Boosie's music, and not his alleged murders. Not that hard to wrap your head around, ha?

staxwax said:
    As for the whole boosie thing, just strikes/struck me as odd that Polanski the teen rapist / filmmaker is so offensive to strutteurs who simultaneously take delight in the evils of murderous drug pushing / rappers. Just saying. I support neither murder, child rape, or reactionary and demented demands for so called justice. But enjoy both murderous raps and movies.

How do I take delight in it?
    You enjoy both murderous raps and movies but how do I take delight in the evils of murderous drug pushing / rappers?

staxwax said:
    After the shit storm surrounding the case caused by his despicable act, there was no way Polanski could have expected a 'fair' sentence, then or now.

This makes absolutely zero sense. I dare you to try and explain it. A convicted felon can't get a "fair sentence" because his dispicable crime and subsequent flight from justice caused too big a comotion. So we should just let him go? Nice fucking try.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You support murderer rappers by buying their music.

Reynaldo said:
    You support murderer rappers by buying their music.

Where's the real heads know the deal graemlin when we need it?

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    staxwax said:
    After the shit storm surrounding the case caused by his despicable act, there was no way Polanski could have expected a 'fair' sentence, then or now.

This makes absolutely zero sense. I dare you to try and explain it. A convicted felon can't get a "fair sentence" because his dispicable crime and subsequent flight from justice caused too big a comotion. So we should just let him go? Nice fucking try.

Not to mention that there's an appeals system in place, in case there is impropriety going on.

In other news, Switzerland freed curiosity for killing the cat.

This really pisses me off.

I'm not buying anymore nestle quick, swatches, coo coo clocks, army knives, or glocken spiels. And although I will continue to eat cheese with holes in it, I will call it "justice cheese."

Financially supporting artists for their art (and almost every other manufacturer for their goods that we use day-to-day) whose (personal) conduct one finds questionable to heinous is one of those arguments that people will use depending on how it best supports their point. We have covered it numerous times on the Board and it is still a definitive shade of gray.

(I guess I missed the part where Boosie has been found guilty?)

Staxwax - How do I delight in the murder of people?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    bassie said:
    staxwax said:
    As for the whole boosie thing, just strikes/struck me as odd that Polanski the teen rapist / filmmaker is so offensive to strutteurs who simultaneously take delight in the evils of murderous drug pushing / rappers. Just saying. I support neither murder, child rape, or reactionary and demented demands for so called justice. But enjoy both murderous raps and movies.

How do I take delight in it?
    You enjoy both murderous raps and movies but how do I take delight in the evils of murderous drug pushing / rappers?

SOMEONE SAID ONE THING ABOUT SOMETHING AWHILE AGO AND THEN SOMEONE ELSE SUBSEQUENTLY SAID SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT THIS OTHER THING AND NOW MY POSTERIOR IS ACHING

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    "justice cheese."

this needs a graemlin

gloom said:
    sabadabada said:
    "justice cheese."

this needs a graemlin

a wedge of swiss cheese floating in a hot-tub, crying.

lol - let the demented fury of the strut ensue...bark away!

Bassie - take my opinion as personally as you'd like to. Or not. I was never referring to you specifically.
    I'll just leave you with one 'lil' nugget:
    What about riding for, co-signing and or supporting- financially or morally, those artists whose art is a specific celebration of their heinous personal conduct? Lines getting any blurrier?

I think my point is pretty clear, no need to further reiterate.

Swiss cheese fondue ftw!

staxwax said:

I think my point is pretty clear, no need to further reiterate.

This reminds me of that Chappelle skit where dude daps his own rhyme.

Your attempt at back-peddling is weak. Now that you get called up, it's not about me?
    Why didn't you say so a few posts back when I first responded?

Don't think you can throw out that someone takes delight in young men killing each other off and they won't take it personally.

You have nothing to base your opinion on.

bassie said:

When did this ever become a prerequisite around here?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    staxwax easily the worst poster on this board

bassie said:
    Your attempt at back-peddling is weak. Now that you get called up, it's not about me?
    What? this was about you? were you posting in that other polanski thread? I don't know /care.
    Don't think you can throw out that someone takes delight in young men killing each other off and they won't take it personally.

I never meant to hurt your feelings. Can we still be friends? Just dont play any lil boosie when im around.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    C-Murder had a few good songs you know.

staxwax said:
    bassie said:
    What? this was about you? were you posting in that other polanski thread? I don't know /care.

I never meant to hurt your feelings. Can we still be friends? Just dont play any lil boosie when im around.

You took it there, no one else. At least the other whiners know to keep it germane in threads that are actually about rap.
    You do care or else you would have never gone there.

I don't give a fck about Polanski - I do give a fck about some baby rattle trying to equate what people listen to to revelling in senseless murder.
    I can admit I take that personally. You just can't admit you talk shit.