Hall & Oates: Genius Black Music?

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Does Christopher Cross fit in the Blue-Eyed Soul genre?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i know as soon as i type no, some dude is going to bust out some obscure ass cc cut that's like a steppers classic or shit.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Let them. The answer is still no.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

What are people's opinion on the Bird and the Bee album of Hall and Oates covers? I borrowed it from the library today. It's kind of cool. I'm about 75-80% into it. I feel like it's missing something (moustache?) It just seems like it's close to being great, but not really there.

It's on Blue Note too. Kind of weird.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    if i could only listen to cosmic R&B & michael franks i would be a happy bro

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    What are people's opinion on the Bird and the Bee album of Hall and Oates covers?

Thansk for these, never heard of them before. I liked them, but these just happen to be my favourite H&A tracks too. I thought for a minute they may be hella hipster, like Pamplemousse (who are clever but hit and miss), but on hearing them, they do have that good "Slickness" to them.

I'll probably cop this.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

What are people's opinion on the Bird and the Bee album of Hall and Oates covers? I borrowed it from the library today. It's kind of cool. I'm about 75-80% into it. I feel like it's missing something (moustache?) It just seems like it's close to being great, but not really there.

It's on Blue Note too. Kind of weird.

I think it's likeable enough. Somebody posted something from it on here a few months ago, and it got absolutely slammed by just about everyone who responded to the thread. I guess this is an example of the "ironic" appropriation/re-evaluation that was talked about at the top of the thread, but I have to be completely honest and say that, in the age of the "ironic" cover version, I can't hear any more evidence of a smug, insincere, hipster mindset here than I've heard in any of a dozen or more other places over the last few years - a lot less, in fact.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    What are people's opinion on the Bird and the Bee album of Hall and Oates covers? It???s kind of cool. I???m about 75-80% into it. I feel like it???s missing something (moustache?) It just seems like it???s close to being great, but not really there.

Judging from those two tracks it just sounds OK, a bit perfunctory.
    And I'm a bit tired of breathy Feist-like femme vocals right now, so that's not a plus.
    Getting kind of a detached feeling from these. Definitely needs more moustache.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I???m a bit tired of breathy Feist-like femme vocals right now

Indeed. The Bird & The Bee sound like a sincere version of that duo with the annoying, bug-eyed, psycho female singer. You know who I mean (I forget their name)...they make the Youtube videos where they're doing ironic indie-rock versions of Beyonce songs and whatnot...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    that duo with the annoying, bug-eyed, psycho female singer.

Pamplemousse

• pickwick33 said:

yup, talk about a sound that has been endlessly copied lately.

have you noticed a bunch of tv commercials aimed at 25-40 somethings are using a feist-like soundtrack: sort of kittenish vocals, acoustic guitar chords, a sprinkling of analog keys and effects, a whisp of childhood innocence and a boatload of "sincerity"...

crabmongerfunk said:
    pickwick33 said:

have you noticed a bunch of tv commercials aimed at 25-40 somethings are using a feist-like soundtrack: sort of kittenish vocals, acoustic guitar chords, a sprinkling of analog keys and effects, a whisp of childhood innocence and a boatload of "sincerity"...

Yes. That's the new TV commercial sound that's supposed to signify "youth market." And usually the kittenish vocals are blase and slightly off-key, like the character of "April" on the TV show Parks & Recreation (that is, if April sang). At least the Bird/Bee lady had a fraction of emotion.

This replaces the pseudo-Sheryl Crow sound which the ads were using five years ago (remember that horrible commercial where some lady remade "People Got To Be Free"?).

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    dude, it's perhaps one of the most irritating trends to hit in recent years. that Amazon kindle commercial with the stop motion and the girl floating through the air? Oh god, kill me. It's like a bunch of people saw the ipod commercial that used that 1,2,3,4 and everyone said "that's the ticket".

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    dude, it's perhaps one of the most irritating trends to hit in recent years. that Amazon kindle commercial with the stop motion and the girl floating through the air? Oh god, kill me. It's like a bunch of people saw the ipod commercial that used that 1,2,3,4 and everyone said "that's the ticket".

Yep, I've railed about this here in past threads.

Now it seems like every 'quirky' alterna-girl is trying to make music for the next viral ad.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    werent yall suckin on Feist?

• i've associated that vocal style with cat power. am i wrong?

batmon said:
    werent yall suckin on Feist?

Probably - Feist is dope, at least IMO. Don't think anyone here is saying she's wack, it's all the people saying "hey I can do that too!". And they sorta can't. Her voice is pretty unique, and her album (all of em, actually) was very all over the place --- wasn't all minimal irritating Juno sounding stuff. Cover of Inside and Out off the old LP was my ish.

• pickwick33 said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    pickwick33 said:

Yes. That's the new TV commercial sound that's supposed to signify "youth market." And usually the kittenish vocals are blase and slightly off-key,.

bang on.

so if our generation (30-somethings on the board) was marked by "irony" or "cynicism" or "alienation" and this generation is characterized by "sincerity``, "whimsy", "collaboration" and "emotionalism" (is that even a word?) where the hell does the next generation of admen go from here?

for the record, i think feist is pretty good, i just don't like the way her sound has been co-opted...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is that Corrinne Bailey Ray?

• nah, apparently some super feist clone named ane trolle. she even has a feist haircut.

• double post...

Feisty ten years ahead of time - and way iller.

• AKallDay said:
    i think it's partially a philly pride thing too

H&O have become a staple of many philly DJ's sets.

i think i even heard i cant go for that 3 times in a single night.

but beyond all that i ride for them, maybe partially for the same reason quoted above, but i do think they are solid songwriters/musicians.

crabmongerfunk said:
    nah, apparently some super feist clone named ane trolle. she even has a feist haircut.

"Is this the line for the Zooey Deschanel lookalike contest?"

(BTW, I've never heard Zooey's duo, She & I, but if she sang in that same indiegirl voice, it wouldn't shock me.)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    nah, apparently some super feist clone named ane trolle. she even has a feist haircut.

Oooh shit, I was listening to that thinking "I know that voice".
    Ane Trolle is Danish and an old friend of mine, and I can say nothing bad about her.
    Yeah, she sounds Feist-y on this one, but she's actually got many styles, and she's always had that voice.

Haven't seen her for a while, wasn't aware she was getting that advertising cheese. Good for her.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thought some people might find this interesting...home space says a lot about people.

Hall's house

• bassie said:
    Thought some people might find this interesting...home space says a lot about people.

Hall's house

check out the series on youtubne called "darryl's house" where he invited various musicians to that house to talk and jam...he does little tours of the house and talks about the history of it and the construction etc...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• So....... he's a man eater?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I've recently been getting into the Dutch Hall and Oates:

Bernard Oattes, Rob Van Schaik aka The Limit, Future World Orchestra and OVS.