Best price on record size boxes

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Uhaul has them for $1.40 each. I need about 100. Any better source for the same size box?

^^^these

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    A secret I didn't know about for years:

Home depot small boxes are $.67

not sure if this applies to all Home Depots, maybe check on their website

.67 boxes are a godsend
    just make sure they are packed tight to prevent damage, ripped boxes

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    mylatency said:
    A secret I didn't know about for years:

Home depot small boxes are $.67

not sure if this applies to all Home Depots, maybe check on their website

.67 boxes are a godsend
    just make sure they are packed tight to prevent damage, ripped boxes

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Moving-Supplies-Boxes/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh6Zas3a/R-202029361/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

^^ yup, those are them

99 crates? pssh...I GOT 400+ BOXES YO

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    how the fuk does one delete a post up in this btich? son. get off my lawn.

mylatency said:

ha. yeah, i thought about just sending you a pm.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up I had been using the Uhaul ones at $1.34 each. Perfect sized boxes to stack on pallets and if packed tight can get 120-130 lps or 12's in a box. Apparently there is another storage company that makes the same size box but with a lot thicker and more durable cardboard.. but they are $1.40 each

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i just bought some of the home depot boxes. they are like a 1/4 inch too short. thankfully i didnt buy too many. or maybe i got a defective lot. gonna try the local uhaul store.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    edulus said:
    i just bought some of the home depot boxes. they are like a 1/4 inch too short. thankfully i didnt buy too many. or maybe i got a defective lot. gonna try the local uhaul store.

The Home Depot may have changed the "small" boxes. My boxes are 17"W x 12 3/8"D x 12 3/8"H. The website shows a slightly smaller size now.

Just an update, most of the home depots brick and mortar (and online, I just tried to have 400 shipped to me and the UPS guy was super asshurt about having to take the boxes back, but oh well) have now discontinued the
    proper ($.67) 17 x 12-1/2 x 12-1/2 size boxes which were perfect for records. If you root around you can find the old size (look for 12-1/2) hiding in the stack, but don't get tricked by the 12 size.

The new small box size is 16x12x12 which is just a 1/2 too small, and it's a total bummer. I'm guessing it saves them money to contract to have the boxes made smaller, yet they are gonna lose us as customers.

I guess U-Haul ($1.40 or so) will be the only option until Home Depot figures out they are selling a lot less small boxes because they are cutting corners, literally.

BOO

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    can someone school me to where the plastic (tupperware-esque) long boxes are from?

gloom said:
    can someone school me to where the plastic (tupperware-esque) long boxes are from?

Like these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-10-Gallon-Tote-Box-Set-of-9/10401036

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    billbradley said:
    gloom said:

Like these?

similar in nature. the ones i would prefer are clear. and are just a slight taller than the sleeves themselves.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fatback: If you're in a major city, look around for moving supply stores. Here in LA, there's a gazillion of 'em, such as "Box City" or whatever.

ALL of them carry the boxes you want - sometimes they're called "book boxes", sometimes just "small boxes" - but in bulk, they're almost always $1 or less. That won't be as cheap as the old Home Depot boxes but they'll still be less than $1.40.

If you don't mind hustling, you can also troll Craigslist in your cities. Many people giveaway boxes they've just finished with or sell then at discount. I've had success with this but it does require more footwork than simply walking into a single store and buying 100 of what you need.

gloom said:
    billbradley said:
    gloom said:

Like these?

similar in nature. the ones i would prefer are clear. and are just a slight taller than the sleeves themselves.

Sterilite makes several different types. You can find them at Walmart and Target. They aren't sturdy at all though.

You can find these at The Container Store

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/totes?productId=10019980&N=71235

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    thanks bill!

BTW,

My buddy hepped me to the fact that these plastic legal boxes, sold at Staples, are perfect for two rows of 45s, with plenty of room at the top for labeled dividers.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Letter-Legal-File-Box-Clear/product_480548?cmArea=sku_pd_box2

The upside is that they snap air/water-tight and are stackable. My only beef is that they're not THE most efficient shape for 7"s insofar as you have a couple inches of wasted vertical space which becomes important if you actually do stack them. On the other hand, they would be more environmentally protected than the standard cardboard joints that others have.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    IKEA was selling cardboard boxes the exact size for 45s a little while ago for relatively cheap. Can't remember the name and don't know if they still have them, but I snatched up around 10-20 when I first saw them.

Those Home Depot boxes are about 2 mm too small.

Fatback said:
    Those Home Depot boxes are about 2 mm too small.

EXACTLY

well, the new ones are. some moron decided to reduce the size so that we the record box storage loving public could no longer use their boxes for bulk storage

fuk a Home Depot, I'm off to U-Haul or Box City as Oliver suggested

motown67 said:
    IKEA was selling cardboard boxes the exact size for 45s a little while ago for relatively cheap. Can't remember the name and don't know if they still have them, but I snatched up around 10-20 when I first saw them.

Ikea used to make really good wood boxes that fit 7"s and 12"s but alas, those were discounted several years back. I'm still sad over it.

Fatback said:

fuk a Home Depot,

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    For Aussie heads I just bought 80 of these plastic crates and found the best price ($9 each) at People In Plastic
    Not as good as the US Supreme crates though (US$12.99)

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I've been using the 13" cubes from Uline for years now. They make heavy duty models if you need 'em

http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?Length=13&Width=13&Height=13&Tolerance=1&WebClass=4&DimensionalSearch=Y

• Horseleech said:
    I've been using the 13" cubes from Uline for years now. They make heavy duty models if you need 'em

http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?Length=13&Width=13&Height=13&Tolerance=1&WebClass=4&DimensionalSearch=Y

Are the standard 13" cubes sturdy enought for stacking?

• bass_fever said:
    Horseleech said:

Are the standard 13" cubes sturdy enought for stacking?

Yes, I've done this for years, 6 high is the max for me, but 5 is probably best.

Making sure they are packed firmly (but not crammed super tight) is key. This way the records won't bend and warp during long term storage.

You could always reinforce with some tape, but I only find this necessary if I've reused them a number of times.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Would you ad any desiccant like silica-gel to the boxes for long term storage?

• ost said:
    Would you ad any desiccant like silica-gel to the boxes for long term storage?

I never have, but I've never had to store in a humid environment.

• The uline's look good but tack on the shipping and 25 boxes turns out to be $1.56 per box. So both uhaul or uline are the only real cheap options.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I didn't read this whole thread but if it hasn't already been mentioned, the Home Depot boxes are too small. You're either gonna fuck up your records or the box will rip. The best ones I've gotten are the U-Haul ones. Records fit in them PERFECT. Good luck!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Breez said:
    I didn't read this whole thread but if it hasn't already been mentioned, the Home Depot boxes are too small. You're either gonna fuck up your records or the box will rip. The best ones I've gotten are the U-Haul ones. Records fit in them PERFECT. Good luck!

Exactly. Fuck Home Depot!

Double-wide ULINE is the only way to go. I have these for my personal storage. You may also want to place a few chudly records on top of the records in each box to make sure there isn't vertical space in the box. Again, make sure that they are CHUD LP's because they will get warped by the weight of the raers above.