Not paying a ticket (legal)

young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
A beer in a state campground. What happens if I don't pay the ticket exactly? It's in a different state, don't really need to go back there just wondering how it might catch up to me. regards

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    just a warrant in that state. no biggie.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Young_Cream,

Don't be a putz, pay your ticket, mane!!! You wouldn't want a warrant issued for your arrest over drinking a beer at a campground, would you? Generally, it's illegal to drink in non-approved, public places, so square it up and move forward.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Young_Cream,

Don't be a putz, pay your ticket, mane!!! You wouldn't want a warrant issued for your arrest over drinking a beer at a campground, would you? Generally, it's illegal to drink in non-approved, public places, so square it up and move forward.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I agree with this. How much can the ticket be? having things like this hang over your head can come back and bite you, plus I always feel better knowing that I'm all settled up.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I think that if your home state has reciprocity and there's a warrant out for you, you can get arrested if you're pulled over for a ticket etc.

EDIT: Yes, you can be arrested in any other state for an out-of-state warrant.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/out-of-state-arrest-warrants.html

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Pay that ticket. If you don't they WILL issue a warrant since you have to appear in court to contest the ticket if you don't pay it before the court date. In my state the fines usually double and they issue bench warrants for failure to appear. Don't let something petty like this wind up costing you more money and possibly your freedom.

• Yeah should definitely pay it, only thing is I burned it so I was weighing out my other options...Not sure how to proceed with this one

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    If you're not going back to that state for 8 years then fuggit. I have had plenty of petty crime charges that simply went away after time. had I gone to court and been convicted I would have a record now but instead it's squeaky clean.

If you don't want to be on the lam from that state then just pay the damn ticket. At least it's not a red light ticket. Those things run around $400 I think.

street_muzik said:
    If you're not going back to that state for 8 years then fuggit.

As was pointed out above, it doesn't matter what state your in - once there's a warrant out on you, you can be arrested in any state.

street_muzik said:
    had I gone to court and been convicted I would have a record now but instead it's squeaky clean.

It's just a ticket for drinking beer - he doesn't have to go to court and there's no conviction or record to worry about.

Horseleech said:
    street_muzik said:

As was pointed out above, it doesn't matter what state your in - once there's a warrant out on you, you can be arrested in any state.

I must not have noticed since it's incorrect (unless it's a felony).

street_muzik said:
    had I gone to court and been convicted I would have a record now but instead it's squeaky clean.

It's just a ticket for drinking beer - he doesn't have to go to court and there's no conviction or record to worry about.

Yes but I'm talking about if he doesn't pay the ticket, it will become a court case.

Are we on the same page now? Good.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am canadian
    but a friend has gotten a ticket in Jersey for the same offense
    refused to pay
    he has gone in and out of jersey in the past 2 years
    still nothing
    so its not a huge gamble

• Thanks for the advice, currently not paying...simply don't have the money.

street_muzik said:
    Horseleech said:
    street_muzik said:

street_muzik said:

Yes but I'm talking about if he doesn't pay the ticket, it will become a court case.

No, I don't want to be on your page because you don't know what you're talking about.

If he doesn't pay the ticket a bench warrant will be issued - bench warrants don't expire so the eight years is meaningless, and it doesn't matter if it's not a felony, a judge can decide to make the warrant valid in all states for a misdemeanor if he chooses.

You may want to get familiar:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_get_arrested_for_a_bench_warrant_in_another_state

http://www.freelawanswer.com/law/1850-law-6.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061019095732AAk0052

Now, police in a given state often don't check for warrants in other states because it takes longer and sometimes they don't feel like doing somebody else's work - but I wouldn't like to count on it.

Horseleech said:
    street_muzik said:
    Horseleech said:
    street_muzik said:

street_muzik said:

No, I don't want to be on your page because you don't know what you're talking about.

If he doesn't pay the ticket a bench warrant will be issued - bench warrants don't expire so the eight years is meaningless, and it doesn't matter if it's not a felony, a judge can decide to make the warrant valid in all states for a misdemeanor if he chooses.

You may want to get familiar:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_get_arrested_for_a_bench_warrant_in_another_state

http://www.freelawanswer.com/law/1850-law-6.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061019095732AAk0052

Now, police in a given state often don't check for warrants in other states because it takes longer and sometimes they don't feel like doing somebody else's work - but I wouldn't like to count on it.

I speak from personal experience, not from random internet links.

There's no way anyones getting extradited for a drinking ticket.

Not encouraging this, just stating the limited risk.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    street_muzik said:

But he could be arrested and taken to jail, no? Wouldn't the state have to waive extradition first or is that automatic with a misdemeanor case?

• Aren't there lawyers on soulstrut? Also the ticket is called 'alcohol in a closed area', not so much for drinking. Also, is it normal for police officers/park rangers to take digital photos? Don't think so...

Dude: how much was the ticket?

young_cream said:
    Aren't there lawyers on soulstrut?

I don't believe we have any criminal attorneys, DAs or PDs on the site. I could be wrong but I think you got the wrong forum for advice that's better than either "personal experience" or "random internet links."

• mannybolone said:
    Dude: how much was the ticket?

225 dollars

street_muzik said:

Me too - I was arrested and spent most of 24 hours in a local jail for an out-of-state bench warrant. It totally screwed up my vacation and cost me ten times what paying the initial fine would have cost.

street_muzik said:

Extradition is unlikely, but arrest is guaranteed, and from my experience it's not even close to worth it, financially or otherwise.

street_muzik said:

Yes, the risk is limited, but it is there, especially for somebody who drives on a regular basis.

As for those who discount 'personal experience' or (supposedly) 'random internet links' - Sorry, this shit is as cut and dried as it gets. If living through it and having a top-notch lawyer guiding you through it doesn't count - what does?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Best believe you don't want any outstanding tickets for anything with every state and city in America going broke.

Horseleech said:
    street_muzik said:

Me too - I was arrested and spent most of 24 hours in a local jail for an out-of-state bench warrant. It totally screwed up my vacation and cost me ten times what paying the initial fine would have cost.

street_muzik said:

Extradition is unlikely, but arrest is guaranteed, and from my experience it's not even close to worth it, financially or otherwise.

street_muzik said:

Yes, the risk is limited, but it is there, especially for somebody who drives on a regular basis.

As for those who discount 'personal experience' or (supposedly) 'random internet links' - Sorry, this shit is as cut and dried as it gets. If living through it and having a top-notch lawyer guiding you through it doesn't count - what does?

That sucks. Sorry that happened. I guess it depends on where your'e at, then.

I've had bench warrants in Colorado, Nevada, & Utah. Had my name run in Cali. nothing came up. In Utah, nothing came up about Colorado or Nevada. I did get stopped in a different Utah county and spent a night in jail, but they let me go the next morning and told me to handle it.

All off it is gone now because I've had extensive background checks, and nothing came up.

i'd pay the ticket today. Don't do the crime unless you can pay for it.

• pcmr said:
    i am canadian
    but a friend has gotten a ticket in Jersey for the same offense
    refused to pay
    he has gone in and out of jersey in the past 2 years
    still nothing
    so its not a huge gamble

also canadian, but my homey got pinched peeing in an alley when we were in brooklyn a few years back. he didn't/couldn't show up to court because he was moving to korea 36 hours later.

he was convincted, and a warrant was issued. the thing is, when you're crossing the border from canadian to american side, they'll only see that a warrant exists, but not what the warrant is for. getting treated like a murderous slasher when you only got caught taking a slash aint nothing i'm trying to fucks with.

ps.

• 48volts48volts 18 Posts
    $225 Breaking the bank? Some hard times....

Most citations and tickets can be done on payment plans. It also deactivates the warrant while you are paying it, from my experience. Just call them and work out a plan. Warrants suck. I live in NYC and got pulled over in Jersey for having a tail light out. Dude runs my license and he made me get out the car and arrested me for some speeding ticket I got in PA a few months before that. They locked me up for 6 hours in handcuffs for that bullshit. So yeah I would take care of it or at least get the ball rolling on payments. Going to jail on some dumb shit is horrible.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Just pay the ticket. I got a jaywalking ticket in California 21 years ago when I was 22, I ignored it, and was subsequently stopped for something else and than arrested on the warrant. Twenty years later, I had to deal with it to get admitted to the New York Bar. Back then, I never would have thought one day I would be applying to become a lawyer and ignored it, but I am so glad I got arrested on it and got it cleared up then, or I would have had to deal with it 20 years later from 3000 miles away. Just pay it, you really never know.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yup, either pay now or pay later. Paying later will involve more money, possibly getting jailed temporarily and possibly having to go all the way back to town where you got the ticket to show up for subsequent warrant hearing. It's a "when" not "if."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I got a ticket for no seat belt back in like 90 and ignored it.
    The local judge of said area sent me a bill in like 94 to pay it.
    Sent her a check and cleared my shit.

At the time i was applying for a gov'ment job. And background checks were most likely gonna find out.