Prince declares "Harry Potter is OVER!"

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central

:get_on_my_level:

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Adults into this foolishness no less smh.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Two movies left, so it's far from over.

Don't listen to Prince. There's a 7-page thread confirming that he's out of touch with the world.

Drake told me vinyl is dead. You going to believe him, too?

• ever since nietzsche told us god is dead, mother fuckers been tryign to say somethin outrageous to sound sagacious so that in the off chance their wild predicition comes about they can be like "im a genius!"

i like making decisions about whats dead and what aint myself.

but i agree with prince here, harry potter's dead. he aint no vampire etc and thats the current craze

Vampires, on the other hand, actually are dead.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Actually this is true.

Haven't you guys read? Make a billion bucks and still be $167 million in the hole...

I have no idea how people get away with this.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting/

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Prince is not impressed by your sorcery.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    he aint no vampire etc and thats the current craze

Can we discuss the current 90210 Vampire craze?

Where did this shit come from.

Wesley Snipes had a problem w/ David Goyer/Boyer on Blade 3 cause he tried to steer the franchise this direction..to a degree.

But this new shit is crazy.

Dracula Soap Opera for a new generation. Its workin.

batmon said:
    smoking_robot said:

Wesley Snipes had a problem w/ David Goyer/Boyer on Blade 3 cause he tried to steer the franchise this direction..to a degree.

Are vampires worth their own thread?
    The Twilight mania has taken over. Never underestimate the influence of young girls. One of my former professors said that the greatest agents of change in the American language (i.e. how the language evolves over time, and not necessarily new slang additions), are adolescent girls and African American males. The first two Twilight books were slow and hard for me to get through, but the 3rd and 4th were entertaining. I have a lot of qualms with the series, though, and feel that Bella is co-dependent, irrational, diffident and one-dimensional; in other words, she's a bad influence on young girls and her relationship with Edward is unhealthy.

My friend gave me a boxed set of Charlaine Harris' Southern vampire mystery books, upon which the HBO series True Blood is based. The books are short, fast, unpredictable and cheap enough that you can't be mad at the corniness. Plus, they're written for adults. True Blood (I've started a thread about it before) is entertaining because the premise is so novel, but I would never call it "quality TV." The men in the show are hot. Anna Paquin is annoying and doesn't even look like the character Sookie from the books who is supposed to be busty and voluptuous, rather than petite and flat-chested. It kills me.

I've never been much into the Vampire genre. Can't stand twilight...

But in the last few years, I have enjoyed that Swedish book/movie Let the Right One In and the Korean flick Thirst.

And a bit of a weakness for True Blood I hate to admit :/

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,897 Posts
    OG Salem's Lot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The High-School Vampire Nonsense.

Truly creepy. James Mason in full effect.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    batmon said:
    smoking_robot said:

just buffy for a new generation innit. chick flicks feat. werewolves with dicks.

i'd rather have og buffy than this newer stuff, theres always far too much dawson's creek-ish ness about the nu school vampire dramas.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    batmon said:
    smoking_robot said:

just buffy for a new generation innit. chick flicks feat. werewolves with dicks.

i'd rather have og buffy than this newer stuff, theres always far too much dawson's creek-ish ness about the nu school vampire dramas.

I didnt watch that much Buffy when it was "hot", but i dont recall the 'sex' stuff so overt like it is now.

It seems to be at the forefront w/ the vampirism as a backdrop.

One could just swap Superhero motif for the vampire steez and it wouldnt miss a beat. Correct me if im wrong.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    hmm, i think you'd be surprised. i've been rewatching buffy. the one where angel and her first are together in a dark room.. naked torsos and lacey underwear all round.

having said that, yes your right buffy was kick ass first discuss relationship problems later. which is the right way round.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    DOR said:
    Let the Right One In

Probably the best vampire film I've ever seen. I'm Norwegian, but enough of the ambience of Scandinavian winter/modernist sub-urbia is present to make it both eerily familiar and pretty scary. Very uncoventional story, too.

Almond, ditch the Twilight stuff and watch this instead (if you have not already).

Cosmophonic said:
    DOR said:
    Let the Right One In

Probably the best vampire film I've ever seen. I'm Norwegian, but enough of the ambience of Scandinavian winter/modernist sub-urbia is present to make it both eerily familiar and pretty scary. Very uncoventional story, too.

Almond, ditch the Twilight stuff and watch this instead (if you have not already).

They are remaking it in America. The trailer came out a few days ago. Doesn't look half bad. But yeah... Watch the OG. It's great.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    DOR said:
    Cosmophonic said:
    DOR said:
    Let the Right One In

They are remaking it in America. The trailer came out a few days ago. Doesn't look half bad. But yeah... Watch the OG. It's great.

They've done a pretty good job copying the visual style. Pretty, pretty, pretty good. It almost looks Swedish!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Almond said:

haha! funny.

Almond - if I gave you one book, one LP, one painting and one movie to take in and review, would you do it?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    true blood on tv, twilight..aight
    but the problem is even canadian networks are now making there version of vapiramadrama
    and weteher its werewolves or ghosts or whatever..the they seem normal and go to starbucks but at night they fight evil spirits and suck blood scenario is whack and already playedout
    anyone remeber that melissamilano bewithed shit
    she's a dark magician but also suffers from menopause
    she is pregnant but debilish gnomes stole her baby scans
    etc,etc,etc

pcmr said:

anyone remeber that melissamilano bewithed shit
    she's a dark magician but also suffers from menopause
    she is pregnant but debilish gnomes stole her baby scans
    etc,etc,etc

;blap:

• has the countdown to the "dark shadows" remake/reboot/rewhatever begun?

decided to check before i hit "submit post."

it has.

• batmon said:
    smoking_robot said:

What i dont get is why its become bigger than it ever was before. for othe past vampire nostalgia there were those anne rice books that caught on but the level hype then in the mid 90s even with a show like buffy on the tv was nowhere near where its at now. there's something like 3 other shows coming out that have vampires in them, and i think one is pretty much a drama and the characters just happen to be vampires or some shit.

its nuts.

imo, there's time to cash in on this shit so you can pursue your dreams of making weird music for a small audience, or try to figure out the next big thing. cashing in on vampires is much easier i think though, but both would still be monumental feats.

smoking_robot said:
    batmon said:
    smoking_robot said:

What i dont get is why its become bigger than it ever was before. for othe past vampire nostalgia there were those anne rice books that caught on but the level hype then in the mid 90s even with a show like buffy on the tv was nowhere near where its at now. there's something like 3 other shows coming out that have vampires in them, and i think one is pretty much a drama and the characters just happen to be vampires or some shit.

its nuts.

imo, there's time to cash in on this shit so you can pursue your dreams of making weird music for a small audience, or try to figure out the next big thing. cashing in on vampires is much easier i think though, but both would still be monumental feats.

Anne Rice wasnt written for 13 year olds.

Im wondering how much is about vampirism vs teen angst w/ vampire sprinkles.

Like the Heroes TV show. Superhero shit for folks that dont like superheroes.

U gotta tweak shit for every new generation.

• batmon said:

Anne Rice wasnt written for 13 year olds.

this is what interests me about it. is there a larger percentage of adults reading YA fiction than there was 20 years ago? is that part of what contributes to the vampire phenomenon? has the fact that "twilight" pulls in a broader audience (age-wise) than previous YA novels/film adaptations* contributed to the popularity of vampire stuff?

*of course, "harry potter" has been similar phenomenon, but i don't know if it has impacted the youth and adult entertainment industry in the same way as "twilight." correct me if i'm wrong.

• batmon said:

Im wondering how much is about vampirism vs teen angst w/ vampire sprinkles.

true.

this dude thinks so too
    http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight

although he takes a bit more of a misogynistic approach i guess?

im not sure what it would be called if it really is misogyny or not. anyone got a better word?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    More adults are reading YA literature than ever before.
    Sharon Creech and Christopher Paul Curtis are 2 of the best contemporary writers.

There has always been trashy paperbacks for adults, but the dominance of Dan Browns, Higgins Clark, Grisham, makes Harry Potter and Twilight* look down right intellectual.

*I've never read Twilight.
    I apologize to anyone who likes Dan Brown or Higgins Clark or Grisham, please feel free to substitute some writer you don't like.

Im waiting for Sex In The City w/ Vampire Cougars.

Fusk Manolos I want 5 gallons of Type O+ blood.

Funky Spunk w/ Blood!!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^^
    that's actually the concept they should have done
    instead of a desperate housewives mashup

bassie said:
    Almond said:

haha! funny.

Almond - if I gave you one book, one LP, one painting and one movie to take in and review, would you do it?

Sure, just tell me which ones. Always down to check out new stuff.

Almond said:
    bassie said:
    Almond said:

haha! funny.

Sure, just tell me which ones. Always down to check out new stuff.

Color Purple,Young-Holt Unlimited Does Superfly, and Jean Micheal Basquiat's - Riding With Death.

This? Young-Holt is always smooth and soulful. I don't know what else to say. I like the light bursts of percussion here and there (Is that some brass? My ear untrained ear can't identify all the instruments). I can't decide whether I like that "Superfly" is whispered at the end. At first I barely even heard it and thus deemed it almost unnecessary, though inoffensive. Good for sampling. Isn't Soulful Strut what Soul Strut is named after? I always assumed.

Riding with Death is not my favorite of Basquiat's pieces. I could have drawn that when I was six. One of the first things I noticed was the fact that Death (the skeleton) has a leash around it's neck, as if it has been tamed and subjugated. I always thought the human looked "happy" though there is no obvious facial expression. Death appears baffled, as if it thought it's impact on Human would be more disheartening. Death never thought he'd be ridden on like a pony. Accompanying death, or dominating it, is preferable to fearing and evading it. Basquiat illustrates the human's ribs and arms with the same white paint as the skeleton, implying that by choosing to ride with death, Human acknowledges that death is already a part of his existence.