How Not To Pick Up Women

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

And even worse, the fact that he has his buddy tagging along while he's trying to cop! Dog owner needs a wingman, not a cockblock! I hope Dog Owner gave Tag-Along Friend a stern talking-to afterwards for repeating the "watch out, he bites" line, driving the women away.

EDIT: when I wrote this, I did not see Harvey Canal's qualifier that the dog owner actually had a steady g/f (plus was evidently getting a bit of tail on the side), but what Tag-Along Friend was saying was flat-out incorrect. "When wingmen go wrong," as Rockadelic commented.

Sure enough the other day, I'm at dog owner's house and he tells me the story about him, his dog, and his horrible wingman at the bar a few days before. Then horrible wingman comes over. Then a couple comes over and immediately the woman starts petting the dog with vigor. And then sure enough, horrible wingman says to her "watch out, he might bite ya". All I could do was frown...and of course tell myself never to invite horrible wingman out with me again when I'm in on-the-hunt mode.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [...and of course tell myself never to invite horrible wingman out with me again when I'm in on-the-hunt mode.

Ahhh....so this dog was a Retriever....got it.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    not too hard to work out whats going on. does horrible wingman have many friends? its clear he has low self esteem as a result of his male pattern baldness, which we can comprehend and forgive. we can also forgive some of his behaviour on the basis that it may be a surplus of testosterone causing both ailments. But please horrible wingman, work on your social skills. I would prescribe one Curb Your Enthusiasm boxset, with particular emphasis on the phrase "show me a confident bald man... and i will show you the diamond in the rough."

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    not too hard to work out whats going on. does horrible wingman have many friends? its clear he has low self esteem as a result of his male pattern baldness, which we can comprehend and forgive. we can also forgive some of his behaviour on the basis that it may be a surplus of testosterone causing both ailments. But please horrible wingman, work on your social skills. I would prescribe one Curb Your Enthusiasm boxset, with particular emphasis on the phrase "show me a confident bald man... and i will show you the diamond in the rough."

You must know this guy. He's still damaged from a divorce from a few years back, still stuck on a psycho chick who he slept with once like 2 years ago and has been placed in her friend zone ever since. He's got enough friends, he's in good shape, he's a funny and kind dude. He's just got his head mixed up to where he thinks being bald and rejected means that he justifiably has no self confidence and thus no clue whatsoever on how to court new prospects. He's an old friend of mine, so I've been trying to help him this past year or so, taking him to new places, introducing him to new people, etc. But yeah, I'm to the point of giving up on him in that regard. Can't help those who don't want to be helped-related.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bringing kids and dogs to the bar = the new gentrification

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    He's an old friend of mine, so I've been trying to help him this past year or so

One shudders to think

faux_rillz said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    He's an old friend of mine, so I've been trying to help him this past year or so

One shudders to think

Yeah, I told his cranky bald ass to become a lawyer...but apparently that's how you prefer to score chicks, not him.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i take my smaller pug to my usual bars often. we always sit outside, cute bar girl brings her water, dog owner may get a free beer, fun had by all.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    I have never ever seen a dog at a bar.
    I'd be shocked tbh

Ditto. What kind of bars have guys bringing in dogs? WTF?

Leave your dog at home. It's not cute. Get some real friends, or go play at the park with your dog buddy.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    Grandfather said:
    I'd be shocked tbh

Leave your dog at home. It's not cute. Get some real friends, or go play at the park with your dog buddy.

my dog enjoys a good pale ale, they can pour this for her at the parks now?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not a bar, but here in Portland there is a brew pub called Lucky Lab.
    The patio always has a dog or 2 or 5 chilling with the owner.

I don't drink, we sometimes go during Dogtoberfest and get a free dog wash, then stay for a burger.

There is no problem with dogs at bars, as long as the patrons and dogs are well behaved.

As for dogs who tied out front of bars I guess the dog is a cover for secret alcoholics. "Honey, I'm gonna take the dog for a walk."

gloom said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Grandfather said:
    I'd be shocked tbh

Absolutely!

I've never seen a dog at a bar; I'm trying to wrap my mind around an eating/drinking establishment that allows drooling, shedding animals to mix amidst drinks and food.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Grafwritah said:

I've never seen a dog at a bar; I'm trying to wrap my mind around an eating/drinking establishment that allows drooling, shedding animals to mix amidst drinks and food.

Sounds like the cook at Denny's to me.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    gloom said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Grandfather said:
    I'd be shocked tbh

Absolutely!

like i mentioned earlier, i only sit outside. i agree inside and dogs sounds a little off. however, one of the several bars i will take my dog to allows dogs inside as well. no food there though.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    gloom said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Grandfather said:
    I'd be shocked tbh

Absolutely!

its commonplace in Europe. I had dinner in a 3-star restaurant in Paris last summer and 2 tables over the people had a dog with them. In fact I saw a ton of dogs in restaurants and bars all over Europe...no one is uptight about it over there. Do you think people who eat at home with a dog nearby are unsanitary?

I think its funny that people actually think that people who take their dogs places dont have freinds or just do it to "look cute". Dogs like hanging out with their owners, it makes the dog and the owner happy...people hatting on that are more than likely some uptight, lame ass people that are not as fun to hang out with as a dog anyway...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    people hatting on that are more than likely some uptight, lame ass people that are not as fun to hang out with as a dog anyway...

Yup, that is exactly what I'm like.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Grafwritah said:
    gloom said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Grandfather said:
    I'd be shocked tbh

Absolutely!

its commonplace in Europe. I had dinner in a 3-star restaurant in Paris last summer and 2 tables over the people had a dog with them. In fact I saw a ton of dogs in restaurants and bars all over Europe...no one is uptight about it over there. Do you think people who eat at home with a dog nearby are unsanitary?

I think its funny that people actually think that people who take their dogs places dont have freinds or just do it to "look cute". Dogs like hanging out with their owners, it makes the dog and the owner happy...people hatting on that are more than likely some uptight, lame ass people that are not as fun to hang out with as a dog anyway...

As far as unsanitary, kinda. Had a work function recently that was pot luck. One person brought in fruit salad. Was going to eat some until upon closer inspection I saw there were miscellaneous dog hairs stuck on the INSIDE of the bowl. Not into digesting anyone's hair, human or animal. Seems like many pet owners have a certain tolerance for misc pet dander; like they'll come to work with it on their suit, or all in their car, or food, or whatever.

As far as comment number two, it seems we're assuming there's a direct correlation between concern over sanitation and being uptight? Ahhh... oook. I hear that's what did in those wild, pet-mouth-kissing, non-hand-washing Aztecs.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I worked at a small cigar/port bar (we really sold more beer and cigarettes) that had a neighbourhood cat who was a regular. He would wait outside the door just before 4:00 when I would open up and then he would come in and sit on a bar stool. People thought he was great and I'm pretty sure he helped me get better tips when he was around because people found his presence charming. So I don't know how I feel about dogs inside at bars but I give the thumbs up to cats.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Grafwritah said:

As far as unsanitary, kinda. Had a work function recently that was pot luck. One person brought in fruit salad. Was going to eat some until upon closer inspection I saw there were miscellaneous dog hairs stuck on the INSIDE of the bowl. Not into digesting anyone's hair, human or animal. Seems like many pet owners have a certain tolerance for misc pet dander; like they'll come to work with it on their suit, or all in their car, or food, or whatever.

you sure those were dog hairs?

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Rock, I guess your 'animal magnetism' attracts people of either sex . I have long realized that men generally have no clue on how to pick up women, which is why I try to coach them now that I'm retired from the mackin' game. :real_headz: Whether in tip-top condition or fat as hell, I never had a problem in that area. It's all about the charisma and making a babe feel like she is special.

On the 'dog as chick magnet' phenomenon, I can't tell you how many FINE-ASS WOMEN, of all ethnic persuasions, strike up conversations with me while I'm walking my beautiful silky terrier.

If I were single, I could be 'gettin' it in' real tough with my little silky girl as the icebreaker. Even though I'd strike terror in the White babes in my apartment building (back in Milwaukee), they would approach with the quickness when I was walking the dog. I guess being a dog owner makes a tall, big, Black dude less threatening.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

true on the girls and dogs thing...Im not single, but if i took this little dude to the new dog park here in town, which is frequented by mostly girls Im told....I would be in it. Girls go ga ga for my doggy:

i walk my homeboy through the village every afternoon. every single patio has a water bowl set aside for him and the servers keep treats on deck.....

....... it helps to look like this though.....

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    [quote author="bassie" date=1278618147 Pack animals don't necessarily want to dodge spilling beer and drunks tripping over their tail or stepping on their paws -dog.
    I would think all sorts of animals wouldn't want that...and that pack animals would be the most tolerant of that stuff.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dogs, most animals, tolerate all kinds of things. Doesn't mean they enjoy it or that just because they can put up with it, they should be made to go through it.

Yea, small dogs are different than bringing in a Lab. A patio is different than inside and a quiet neighbourhood place is different than a crowded Saturday night at the drinking hole...yes, common sense. But you know, I'm not really looking at 6-pints-in-Jim for common sense.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    batmon said:
    Fuck yo dog and yo kids. Im here to drink and get away from that bullshit.

I don't like bars b/c I don't drink but why not ust drink at home if you don't like who you run into at the bars?

"I go to bars because I only want to interact with other drunk human adults" makes little sense to me. Bars are potentially obnoxious regardless if there are small animals or children involved.

U can add folks w/ Snakes,Iguanas, and Birds while were at it.

Get away from me. Fuck Lassie, Benji, and Baretta's Cocatou.

• Options
    I really like that story about Ratty. I walk my dog Harley D around town and the arboretum where I live but don't ever take him out. Maybe I should because he is a cordial gentleman and would love it.

I think the next dog I get is going to be a Brazilian Terrior. I spent 4th of July with two Brazilians: Marley and Morrison (named after Van not Jim) Morrison is from the next litter had by the same parents as Marley. Right now Morrison's sister is pregnant.

Picture coming soon,

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    I really like that story about Ratty. I walk my dog Harley D around town and the arboretum where I live but don't ever take him out. Maybe I should because he is a cordial gentleman

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    lilmonstu said:
    I really like that story about Ratty. I walk my dog Harley D around town and the arboretum where I live but don't ever take him out. Maybe I should because he is a cordial gentleman

Hey!!! I resemble that picture...check out the sailor's t-shirt.

and the best way to no pick up women is to avoid responsibility whenever possible.