HD tv bulb replacement?

countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
My samsung HD 56' keeps turning off for no reason. Had it 2.5 years. No warranty. I think it's the bulb but wanted to know if anybody knew anything bout it. Or have ever attempted it. Looks easy on Youtube but I don't want to open up the back if I'm gonna need an engineering degree from Georgia Tech to do it.

Comments

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    no idea on how easy/hard it is to DIY, but if memory serves, if you have to pay someone to replace an HDTV lamp, it will cost as much if not more than the cost of a new tv.

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    is it a rear projection TV or an LCD? if its rear projection, you can just hop on over to your nearest Fry's or similar electronics store and buy one for about 100-200 bucks (or for much less online). Its a pretty simple procedure, Google is your friend. My dad did it and he's not the most knowledgeable cat on these things, so its doable.

Now if its an LCD TV, and got no warranty coverage, you might as well buy a new one.

• Yeah it's rear projection. I went ahead and bought the lamp for $150. Between the owners manual and YouTube I think I can do it. The key is to buy the replacement lamp already in the casing. That way you don't need to handle the bulb too much. Thanks!