Thrift Store Acquires 140,000 Records

2»

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm an admitted little dude, and I have trouble finding stuff there...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    A book store around the corner from me in Williamsburg recently got 40,000 records/45s in and I was one of the first in to see it.

It's a turdquake of almost historic proportions. Literally hundreds of records each by artists like the Ames Bros, The Ray Charles Singers, The Melachrino Strings, Pete Fountain, Andy Williams, Bert Kaempfert and on and on. It's like somebody had a mission to acquire multiples of the worst records ever made - I was stupified.

The 45s all had folded instructions to some kind of dance "two steps forward, turn to the left bow forward and return!" They were almost all polka/waltz/square dance 45s.

I looked through almost all of it and pulled three records - a couple of Astrud Gilbertos, and a VG+ Kind Of Blue (there wasn't any other record even remotely like that).

Lot's of records does not always mean hidden raer.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Stopped by a local Thrift yesterday that had just received 2,400 Hillbilly/Blues 78's.....went through and cherry picked 350 top notch titles for $100.......this morning when I went to pick them up the manager told me there were 30K more to come in the near future.......whiskey drinking music for days.

holy shit.

photos please.

I will post up some photos in a day or two....the punchline was as I was checking out the Thrift Store manager told me to "Come back in a week or two" because "The guy who dropped these off said he had 30,000 more!!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    A book store around the corner from me in Williamsburg recently got 40,000 records/45s in and I was one of the first in to see it.

It's a turdquake of almost historic proportions. Literally hundreds of records each by artists like the Ames Bros, The Ray Charles Singers, The Melachrino Strings, Pete Fountain, Andy Williams, Bert Kaempfert and on and on. It's like somebody had a mission to acquire multiples of the worst records ever made - I was stupified.

The 45s all had folded instructions to some kind of dance "two steps forward, turn to the left bow forward and return!" They were almost all polka/waltz/square dance 45s.

I looked through almost all of it and pulled three records - a couple of Astrud Gilbertos, and a VG+ Kind Of Blue (there wasn't any other record even remotely like that).

**DIGGERS' WORST NIGHTMARE**

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Horseleech said:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/city_guide/indepth/the_thing/

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i was only there once, last fall. NM lacewing s/t on mainstream for $10, just sitting by the listening station. ok! Spent about $120 on about 12 records, all of which i felt were quite underpriced and included a few white whales of mine. Didnt go downstairs into the "56 copies of john denvers greatest hits vol2 warehouse" till after id cashed out. it was strange down there.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The store you guys are talking about reminds me of Great Lakes Music in Milwaukee, WI. It's this huge warehouse full of mostly common, dollar--bin crap, with the ill shit interspersed within the garbage. It sucks that you had to sift through the mounds of shitty records to get to the gems. I guess that's why I didn't hit that store up very much.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

. It sucks that you had to sift through the mounds of shitty records to get to the gems.

I dont understand why some guys slinging wax dont at least sort them into genres as shit comes in. It makes no business sense at all to have customers just lose interest and walk away.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    Big_Stacks said:

. It sucks that you had to sift through the mounds of shitty records to get to the gems.

I dont understand why some guys slinging wax dont at least sort them into genres as shit comes in. It makes no business sense at all to have customers just lose interest and walk away.
    A record store I used to frequent changed from having their entire stock sorted by genres/alphabet to just random everywhere. The proprietor said the reason was that he was sick of people just checking certain letters/genres & not checking any other sections. They went under shortly after.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    holmes said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    Big_Stacks said:

A record store I used to frequent changed from having their entire stock sorted by genres/alphabet to just random everywhere. The proprietor said the reason was that he was sick of people just checking certain letters/genres & not checking any other sections. They went under shortly after.

aha. I'd like to see a supermarket try that policy.

Supermarket Manager:

"Man, I am so sick of those people who come in here and go straight for the milk, eggs and bread sections. People need to change up, and buy different things more often.

I'm going to mix all the products up randomly, in order to broaden people's horizons.

And also, by making them search harder for what they want, it will make them buy more things that they don't want and therefore, increase our profits!"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    that was his precise argument