DJing related

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
when you get on to do your set, do you usually mix-in with the last song from the previous dude? or do you tend to drop your first track straight after ?just curious cuz for me, I usually don't mix-in, so i tend to wait till its near the end and just drop in my first track. But I'm starting to feel that this is disrespectful and rude to the previous DJ.I guess I'm just.....wack.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fuck that shit airhorn the fuck in homie

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea?

or just go "NEEW SHIIT!!" "EX-CLUUUUSIIVE !!"

• snosno 332 Posts
    Do it like superstar DJ Paul Oakenfield...slam the start/stop button on the running deck and let the music wind down, then slowly fade in your tune for that dramatic effect.

• Do it like superstar DJ Paul Oakenfield...slam the start/stop button on the running deck and let the music wind down, then slowly fade in your tune for that dramatic effect.

What a tool.

HAHAAH.

• Kenny~

It depends on the situation...if you have a set that is tediously planned out you have no choice but to do a "creative" transition. Other than that I try to mix out of that last DJ's rekkid on beat.

J

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah, i ask the guy before me if he knows what tempo he is at. if he doesnt know, i just guess. the more you tempo your records the easier it gets to estimate the tempo of other songs.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Do it like superstar DJ Paul Oakenfield...slam the start/stop button on the running deck and let the music wind down, then slowly fade in your tune for that dramatic effect.

You get a better effect if you turn the power off. Then the table winds down slow. The start/stop stops it pretty quick.

That's why I usually start with some sort of moody, beatless/beat-light song so that's not a problem.

But, if you can it's cool to beat blend off of the previous guy. I usually have routines, but I try to keep my set flexable enough that I can jump ahead in the set or start at a differnt place than I originally planned. If your shit it too tight it can make it hard to work! AAAAYYYYYYOOOOOO!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    But I'm starting to feel that this is disrespectful and rude to the previous DJ.

fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    But I'm starting to feel that this is disrespectful and rude to the previous DJ.

fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

Ya'll are killing me with this stuff!!!! I want to see this happen, but it's a lot funnier on paper.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

GAME[/b] fukin OVER[/b] !!

its just really hard to go on smooth having a planned out set.

if i originally planned to start at around 95 and the dude before me is finishing off with a classic breakbeat cut at 110bpm then i'm fucked!

say you're matching him with 110 or so, and gradually slow it back down, at certain point you're just bound to have difficulties.

i wonder if anyone out there have a few records in their bag that are set as 'bridging records'?? strictly picked out to use as bridging into their set and then switching up your set in terms of their tempo from there on. so if you pick up your 100bpm bridging record to start off, you then start off with your 100 or so bpm stuff first, and off you go with your set something like that...

• snosno 332 Posts
    Always go for the DJ'ing transition-friendly, crowd-pleasing fave:

Played out unfunny joke aside, the Jackson 5 tune you dropped last time did the job perfectly. I think it could be done again this time.

Do you need my Korg Es-1 for those explosion drops?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea i figured they'd probably dig the Jackson 5, i just don't have many of those crowd-pleasers.

• snosno 332 Posts
    In that case, I'm looking forward to your re-enactment of Edpower's suggestions. It's on, son!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    1. Hit Stop button on previous Djs record.

2. Lighty tap the side of the turntable plate so it runs backwards slowly for about 6 seconds after it has stopped.

4. Just after that record comes to a stop, drop something sounding completely different and a much slower tempo, but only for like the first 15 seconds, like an intro to build tension.

People will either be thinking WTF or at least realising someone new has just stepped up.

5. THEN.... Drop some fly Mama Said Knock You Out type shit that lets them know you mean BIDNESS.

One of my favourites was always Coldcut's JB Payback Mix, cause thats got the intro there already then its like 1, 2, 3, 4 HIT IT!!!! BANG![/b].

Or if you've got a Kaoss pad or a Space echo...

Fade the previous reckid out into a tidy sounding feedback echo and slowly increase the repeat rate untill people wonder whats goin on, then drop your jam.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

2. Lighty tap the side of the turntable plate so it runs backwards slowly for about 6 seconds after it has stopped.

ya see, you don't think thats rude or disrespectful to the DJ ? cuz I do that all the time but they're never too happy about me doing that.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

ya see, you don't think thats rude or disrespectful to the DJ ? cuz I do that all the time but they're never too happy about me doing that.

Yeah, I see what you mean man.

It does have a slightly disrespectful edge to it cause you are almost pulling the plug on the last dudes set if you think about it. You're almost saying 'Okay fool, I'm switching you off. Make way cause here's some real bidness.'

So maybe thats not appropriate sometimes, but I still think there needs to be some notable change or something to highlight the fact that someone new has just stepped up. You want to make people take notice and that kinda stuff makes people look up at the DJ booth to see whats goin on.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i never plan my sets in advance so i never go in thinking "this is the BIG first record"

i pretty much always blend from the last dudes cut.. unless he was playign something ridiculously off tempo i should have somethign in the crate to keep it going and build from there.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    i pretty much always blend from the last dudes cut.. unless he was playign something ridiculously off tempo i should have somethign in the crate to keep it going and build from there.

I agree, unless you're at one of those events where they have all different types of DJ's following each other and you have to spin after the maniac playing gabber techno or something.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I agree, unless you're at one of those events where they have all different types of DJ's following each other and you have to spin after the maniac playing gabber techno or something.

Yup.

• But I'm starting to feel that this is disrespectful and rude to the previous DJ.

No, what's rude is when the DJ after you just cuts out of your song IMMEDIATELY (like, after one verse) when the crowd's still feelin' it.

I usually try to mix in, but only if the DJ before me was doing a good job and has built up a nice vibe/momentum. Otherwise, scratch drop into my first record or do the stop/slow rewind.

But this:

is the best shit I've read on SoulStrut in months.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

dude...you are my hero.