Gregory Charles Royal- any info about this album?

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
any info on this record before i go and crack the seal open?
the internet is proving to have nothing, so naturally i turn to the real experts.
this is a DC record...
Nightkrawler?

Gregory Charles Royal, "Pain", 1980, label: GCR

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have an LP of his from 1975 I believe, a couple tracks that could qualify as 'spiritual jazz', I have never seen the LP from 1980. The LP I have is good enough thatI have kept it for years, and have played it out on occasion when I had a Jazz night.

I believe Nitekrawler either knows dude, or knows more than the average collector about GCR and his ouvre. If anyone had any insight it would be him or perhaps Neville C.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Looked cool so I did a google search.
    The cut Pain is a soul tune, and some people seem to rate it.

What was interesting was this:
    US District Court Judge Reggie B. Walton has issued an order transferring the Sarah Palin Juneteenth lawsuit, brought by America's Hot Musician judge Gregory Charles Royal, from Washington, DC to Alaska.

Royal considers this a positive development because the case, which was reviewed by the judge prior to transfer, was not dismissed on the court's own motion as frivolous.
    Following the order, Royal filed a notice to the court of his intent to amend the complaint to add "one or more co-plaintiffs who are residents of Alaska", en route to seeking class action status.

The lawsuit was brought by Gregory Charles Royal, a musician who met Sarah Palin in 1991 when The Duke Ellington Orchestra toured Alaska. On that occasion, Sarah Palin told Royal that she does not "talk" or "mess with" Black men.

The lawsuit focuses on Sarah Palin's failure to comply with the Juneteenth Proclamation in 2007 and that several Alaskan citizens had been trying, unsuccessfully, to consult with the Governor regarding her race record in Alaska.

Royal maintains that "The focus of this action is to hold Governor Palin accountable and to uphold the integrity of our emancipation holiday".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I found this record years a go and was underwhelmed enough to sell it.

There is one party track that is kind of interesting.

Here is a sound clip:

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    any info on this record before i go and crack the seal open?
    the internet is proving to have nothing, so naturally i turn to the real experts.
    this is a DC record...
    Nightkrawler?

Gregory Charles Royal, "Pain", 1980, label: GCR

Yep, tis a DC/MD area joint. Pain is def nice, but I usually end up playing "Take A Ride To Heaven" when I'm on my couch. Kinda crushes it. One of the main dudes (Not Gregory) who plays on this LP is in Germany now......I remember seeing a website or something where he looks kinda psycho.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    thank you all who replied, my searches yielded very little info and ss never ceases to be a source of realness and info so thank you.
    now i must debate as to to whether or not to crack the seal.
    i acquired the record because i spotted it sitting next to a trash can here in nyc. it was mixed in with a pile of calypso and soca records.
    soft eyes and lemon water ice that i was getting ready to throw out, that's what did it.
    naturally my boyfriend offered to carry them home because he never lets me carry anything heavy while walking next to him if he has free hands.
    anyhow it was a fluke getting this one. i'd like to hear it though.

• What's the consensus on his Dream come true LP? I've been trying to find mp3's of it for ages but no dice.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    thank you all who replied, my searches yielded very little info and ss never ceases to be a source of realness and info so thank you.
    now i must debate as to to whether or not to crack the seal.
    i acquired the record because i spotted it sitting next to a trash can here in nyc. it was mixed in with a pile of calypso and soca records.
    soft eyes and lemon water ice that i was getting ready to throw out, that's what did it.
    naturally my boyfriend offered to carry them home because he never lets me carry anything heavy while walking next to him if he has free hands.
    anyhow it was a fluke getting this one. i'd like to hear it though.

I would crack it. I seriously doubt that it would drop the price that much if you were then wanting to part with it. Satiate that curiosity!

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    NiteKrawler45 said:
    "Take A Ride To Heaven"

I really dig this track too. It's also on a 45, but based on audio clips from when it's showed up on ebay it sounds like a different/inferior mix. More synth-drummy than on the LP. Mighta been my ears playin tricks, tho.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What good is a sealed record?

It's worth more.

Also, a record that has been played once is worth more than one played a dozen times.
    If the only reason you have records is for their potential value, don't listen to them.

In other words, crack the seal, listen, enjoy, that's the reason we have records.

So easy to forget.

• Dreams come true is a decent jazz record heres a clip of the best track on it "dancer " its been reissued in Japan

http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?quick_search_records=m_physical&q=gregory+charles+royal&qs=1&s_search_precision=any&s_search_type=all&s_genre_id=0000

• francozola0 said:
    Dreams come true is a decent jazz record heres a clip of the best track on it "dancer " its been reissued in Japan

http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?quick_search_records=m_physical&q=gregory+charles+royal&qs=1&s_search_precision=any&s_search_type=all&s_genre_id=0000

Thanks!

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    maocontent said:
    NiteKrawler45 said:
    "Take A Ride To Heaven"

I really dig this track too. It's also on a 45, but based on audio clips from when it's showed up on ebay it sounds like a different/inferior mix. More synth-drummy than on the LP. Mighta been my ears playin tricks, tho.

agreed, 45 isn't quite as strong as the LP mix.....but that's from me hearing the same clip/clips you prob did...from that one dude who had a couple from Germany or whatever. I think I'll drop this on the decks this fine afternoon.