The Dream - Love King album

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:
    Unherd said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    white_tea said:
    I still like the second album the best, followed by the first album and then this latest one.

This is where I stand, too.

I've only listened to the new album twice now, but I'm already annoyed by parts of it. I'll reserve judgment until I've given it several complete listens, though. More so than with probably any other artist for me, The-Dream's appeal lies with his complete albums as opposed to his singles.

This is where I'm at too. I think the 2nd one is my favorite, but 3 is starting to grow on me now that I've heard it a couple times.

I think dude's niche is probably growing, but faux may be right about his chances for really breaking through. I was trying to explain to someone last night who he was, and it wasn't until I hummed some of the first album singles that I got a glimmer of recognition. Maybe dude should abandon his pop ambitions and just really bug out.

Leaving lyrics aside for a sec, I do think his songwriting is a cut above most of what's out there. I'm interested to hear from batmon and others, if this dude's not on top of the current R&B heap, who is? Nobody?

I wouldnt place dude at the number 1 spot. I like him better than Ne-Yo but Ne-Yo is way more household.
    R.Kelly aint dead. Usher. I'd even place Chris Brown in front of dude for popularity.

Trey Songz is definitely the hottest R&B dude in the game right now (PAUSE), even if he is just Kellz lite.

Those other dudes may have greater current name recognition, but their careers are almost all on the decline and they have no real buzz.

The-Dream was definitely on top as far as songwriting and having the dominant sound about two years ago, but I'm not sure any single figure is dominant in that way currently. In any event, people check for his songs, but they don't really check for him they way they do for a Trey Songz.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    Unherd said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    white_tea said:
    I still like the second album the best, followed by the first album and then this latest one.

This is where I stand, too.

I've only listened to the new album twice now, but I'm already annoyed by parts of it. I'll reserve judgment until I've given it several complete listens, though. More so than with probably any other artist for me, The-Dream's appeal lies with his complete albums as opposed to his singles.

This is where I'm at too. I think the 2nd one is my favorite, but 3 is starting to grow on me now that I've heard it a couple times.

I think dude's niche is probably growing, but faux may be right about his chances for really breaking through. I was trying to explain to someone last night who he was, and it wasn't until I hummed some of the first album singles that I got a glimmer of recognition. Maybe dude should abandon his pop ambitions and just really bug out.

Leaving lyrics aside for a sec, I do think his songwriting is a cut above most of what's out there. I'm interested to hear from batmon and others, if this dude's not on top of the current R&B heap, who is? Nobody?

I wouldnt place dude at the number 1 spot. I like him better than Ne-Yo but Ne-Yo is way more household.
    R.Kelly aint dead. Usher. I'd even place Chris Brown in front of dude for popularity.

Trey Songz is definitely the hottest R&B dude in the game right now (PAUSE), even if he is just Kellz lite.

Those other dudes may have greater current name recognition, but their careers are almost all on the decline and they have no real buzz.

The-Dream was definitely on top as far as songwriting and having the dominant sound about two years ago, but I'm not sure any single figure is dominant in that way currently. In any event, people check for his songs, but they don't really check for him they way they do for a Trey Songz.

Yeah my young lady friends are all bout Trey Songz.
    My buddy was tryin to beat me over the head bout dude when the first album dropped. I was seein it.
    ladyfriend said that this latest album is heat. And told me i was sleepin hard.
    Dude did his thang w/ Tyrese and them on the BET awards O'Jays tribute. he grew up.

Where's Mario?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    this sounds kind of fucked up, but my theory is that The Dream is too formerly chubby/hides behind his sunglasses to become a star in today's market.

I???ll never be a pop star, I???m too raw
    I???ll never be the hot actor, I???m too cold
    I may never be the face of a magazine
    If you get tired of faking it, call me
    - "Panties to the Side"

It sounds like The Dream has settled into his place on this album. There are a hand full of notable tracks, "Make Up Bag, Sex Intelligent Remix, Yamaha, Abyss, Turnt Out", but all of the cuts are connected as a full offering, which works pretty well. File under: reasonably-priced sex jams.

And you might be onto something re: his audience, it's probably not a bunch of swooning ladies. I'd imagine his biggest following is the gay black set in the south (pure speculation).

drewnice said:
    the gay black set in the south (pure speculation).

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    phongone said:
    His fanbase is made up of millions of soulstrut type dudes.

:oof:

where does Ryan Leslie fit in w/all this? i still like his stuff a lot.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    phongone said:
    His fanbase is made up of millions of people who like good music.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    phongone said:

I think Ryan Leslie is a more versatile and complete artist than the-Dream. Leslie's problem is he puts out music too quickly. I think once he matures a bit more and is more selective with his album cuts, he'll be an incredible artist.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    How can something like Florida University make it onto an album? The music and song in general aren't terrible, but that chorus is unbelievably bad.

Dear The-Dream,
    That shit is corny. Please stop.

-Person with ears.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    How can something like Florida University make it onto an album? The music and song in general aren't terrible, but that chorus is unbelievably bad.

Dear The-Dream,
    That shit is corny. Please stop.

-Person with ears.

I agree and would like to add that the above problem is exacerbated by the fact that it stays in your head for days.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Equestrian

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    batmon said:
    Equestrian
    yup

Copped the Deluxe Version yesterday.

He's still rockin/stretching his sound, yet there are some new arrangements/directions which work.

Kelly Rowland cursing is some shit.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    You heard her recent single? Kisses down low.

That song was nuts too.

Voltron

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    like some songs on this but "pussy" and "turnt" are so bad to me...

nobody's feelin the title track?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    batmon said:

He's still rockin/stretching his sound, yet there are some new arrangements/directions which work.

Yeah it's not blowing me away as a whole but still some stand out moments. I'm personally a fan of the pure FutureSex/LoveSounds stylings of Loving You/Crazy

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    So I'm not really a The Dream fan but I like this song. I mean I think I do, who knows.

NSFW.

The video for Pvssy is equally good - though I wish these women would wear a tad less make-up! Anyway - but the song is weak. So maybe I am listening with my ears and not my eyes after all!!

Also NSFW

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The only thing worse than a titty tattoo is an ass tattoo.

bassie said:

Herm lets his daughter sing this.

batmon said:

Herm lets his daughter sing this.

For the record, I don't have a daughter, but that's one of the creepiest dis attempts you've ever made on here.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Tomorrow (Friday) night, Gary Clark Jr. will be joining The Dream for a performance on Fallon.

willie_fugal said:
    phongone said:

I havent seen his name up in here since this thraed.
    Where is he?

Yes, where? He's got like four or five albums - one out this year even - and I hear almost nothing about the guy. Diamond Girl was amazing - and Pill's flip of it even more so - but his other tracks haven't really grabbed me. What's good?

bassie said:
    Yes, where? He's got like four or five albums - one out this year even - and I hear almost nothing about the guy. Diamond Girl was amazing - and Pill's flip of it even more so - but his other tracks haven't really grabbed me. What's good?

Dude is not on my radar at all. I recall the dude being praised by SS hard.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Leslie played the highly-coveted 1 p.m. slot on a Friday afternoon at Lollapalooza a few years back but I missed him. I liked that one album to an extent but haven't sought out anything else.

I enjoyed the title track on the new The-Dream but some of the guest spots weren't doing it for me. Haven't really listened to the whole thing yet, what with the wealth of new releases as of late.

Also, cringe-worthy admission: I'm trying to listen to less R&B as to daydream less about love & booty. It's been kind of working.

Not so cringe-worthy - who hasn't been there?

I am seeing a whole lotta booty and very little love (not counting self-love and elaborate CD packaging love) from The Dream, Jeremih, Cassie...maybe give in to the daydream, hit your local dancetorium and enjoy the pain?

Ryan Leslie's rapping these days. Yaaaaawwwwnnnn.