GARY - "Chilling Out" - is this LP any good?

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This is not a "Hot or Not" post...well, not intentionally at least.I've noticed this LP selling for crazy money on eBay recently and wondered if anyone can vouch for the of its contents: So ballers...Hot or Not?SG

Comments

• I thought this question was being directed to me.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    NC record right? ??Donde est?? DigDug?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I think it is an excellent lp - there are probably 4 or 5 cuts that you could 'play out' on it.

My current fave cut off there is a boogie-funk rap-ish thing called 'whoop tee doo' which reminds me strangely of 'the magnificent seven' ( off 'sandinista' by the clash) - I guess both cuts are ultimately derivative of 'good times'( chic).

disclaimer: I sold one recently on ebay.

---

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I think it is an excellent lp - there are probably 4 or 5 cuts that you could 'play out' on it.

My current fave cut off there is a boogie-funk rap-ish thing called 'whoop tee doo' which reminds me strangely of 'the magnificent seven' ( off 'sandinista' by the clash) - I guess both cuts are ultimately derivative of 'good times'( chic).

disclaimer: I sold one recently on ebay.

---

Thanks! That cover (and the price tag) got me curious.

SG

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Soundclips plaese? Shit looks dope...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

I have an LP by Charles Pryor that uses that same stock cover.

I'd like to hear this.

• ademurademur 33 Posts

I have an LP by Charles Pryor that uses that same stock cover.

I'd like to hear this.

& the Kream Band? yeah I have that and was thinking why I thought I knew the cover.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ??Donde est?? DigDug?

in my pj's waving a biscuit

for real I haven't listened to it in a while, but I didn't think it was as facemelting as the sleeve and title suggested... need to pull it out again I suppose

I've got a beat-up 45 (!!!) off it too

• there's no year on the cover or label - sounds like it was from the early 80s?
    I've got a Charlie Jones LP recorded in the same studio (Galaxie III in NC), are there any more (soul) productions from it?

there's no year on the cover or label - sounds like it was from the early 80s?
    I've got a Charlie Jones LP recorded in the same studio (Galaxie III in NC), are there any more (soul) productions from it?

Thats Harry Deal's studio (of 'And the Galaxies' fame - beach music)

He had that 'Fonky Fonky' single

There's tons of stuff from all genres recorded there in the 70s-80s, I'll let jmperlu elaborate (if he shows up here)

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Whatever the case, the cover is

Checked this LP out again yesterday and its just as mediocre as I remembered

Don't sweat this record at all

There are plenty of dollarbincommons of the same genre that are far better

Half the record is terrible, the other half is just okay

• SoulStrut Factor?

Buy It Now on ebay for $409.77.[/b]

Chilling Out

Is this guy's description accurate? What it do on some mp3's?

... a RARE and highly rated LP!!! This LP sounds like Sa Ra, early Prince & Roger, The Floaters, Jay Dee, Platinum Pied Pipers, etc..all mixed together) titles : Looks Like Your Funk, Scared At Night. A Man, Stay, People, Me Myself And I, Leroy, Woop Tee Doo (all songs by Gary Hairston), produced by Hairston Enterprises and Harry Deal ...

SG

Checked this LP out again yesterday and its just as mediocre as I remembered

Don't sweat this record at all

There are plenty of dollarbincommons of the same genre that are far better

Half the record is terrible, the other half is just okay