Where BET failed, Entourage succeeded. (Guru-related)

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Yeah yeah, I know..."this show's horrible, the acting sucks, wah wah, blah blah blah!"

But this season's opening episode ended with "Above The Clouds."

PROPER.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what's Entourage?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Yawn. C'mon holmes, you HAVE to know how stale that response is by now, no?

Herm said:

Staler than Sex in The City for Men?

batmon said:
    Herm said:

Staler than Sex in The City for Men?

Yup. Even more stale than that.

Was the first two seasons really good?

When did it "fall off"?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Entourage used Gang Starr's "Work" in one of the early seasons too. Different music supervisor back then however but in general, whatever you may think of the show, their music is pretty on-point.

And yeah, I absolutely think they used "Above the Clouds" as an homage.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Entourage used Gang Starr's "Work" in one of the early seasons too. Different music supervisor back then however but in general, whatever you may think of the show, their music is pretty on-point.

Always been the same supervisor, there's just an additional one now. Def was an homage.

Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:

Always been the same supervisor, there's just an additional one now. Def was an homage.

You sure about that? Wasn't Garth Trinidad the music supe for S4?

mannybolone said:
    Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:

I never heard that --- what season is it at now? The supervisor, to my knowledge, has always been this dude Scott Vener. Gabe Hilfer, who a few people on here might actually know, joined him last season. I never knew about the Garth Trinidad addition, maybe he was just a contributor last year?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Was the first two seasons really good?

When did it "fall off"?

schitt was bad from the start.

Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:
    Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:

I never heard that --- what season is it at now? The supervisor, to my knowledge, has always been this dude Scott Vener. Gabe Hilfer, who a few people on here might actually know, joined him last season. I never knew about the Garth Trinidad addition, maybe he was just a contributor last year?

It's now Season 7. Maybe Vener was off for that season where Garth took over?

• Kier Lehman is a former MS of the show as well.

How hard can a Music Supervisor position be??

Herm said:
    How hard can a Music Supervisor position be??

That's what I used to feel, but truth be told, it's harder than one may think. Picking the music is the very small and enjoyable part. Licensing, on the other hand, can be a complete and utter nightmare. Music supervisors have to do both -- the latter being their primary responsibility. Often times they don't even get to select music -- the director or actor or whomever already has tunes in mind and their sole responsibility is just to clear said music. Clearing a bunch of shitty music is often times all the music supervisor gets to do. Case in point, the music supervisor for The Hills ..........................*shutter*

• I think budget constraints can be a pretty big challenge as well. It's definitely more complex than people might think at first.

KMD last night? Sorta ill -- jussayin.

Yes! From Black Bastards too!! I was pretty impressed.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I will admit to having caught this (I watched the whole HBO Sunday lineup last night; too lazy to get off the couch). It was a song about weed in a scene about liquor, so not sure it was a choice that really made any sense. But it's still a great joint. Stuff like this doesn't really "impress" me anymore though.

• Herm said:
    damn! what they use ? smokin that shit?

tripledouble said:
    Herm said:
    damn! what they use ? smokin that shit?

Ya -- heard the bass line when the scene started and I was like "whhhuuu" -- thought it was going to be some other record that flipped that bass line, etc, but then the drums kicked in, and we even got about 8 bars of Zev's verse.

A Fondle Em' joint on HBO?? Maybe not "impressive", but definitely appreciated.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    the show is about a bunch of white dudes from ny born in the late 70's-ish.
    stuff like kmd and gang starr are the graham crackers and milk of this set.
    its presence should not be terribly surprising.

footnote: it is a truly horrible production that has run its course imo.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    AKallDay said:

Thank you. Also, just read that a shortened Season 8 will be their last.

AKallDay said:

perhaps one of the more obnoxious replies I've seen in a while, bravo!

This is one of the more popular shows on American television. Curious, do you watch television? If you do, you would find that hearing something like KMD on a show as big as Entourage is quite surprising. For a bunch of white dudes from NY born in the late 70s, they could be playing much more accessible music. Perchance you can share with everyone where you hear songs like "Stop Smoking That Shit" on tv? I'd be interested to watch.

If you're not surprised to hear a Fondle Em 12" being played on one of the bigger shows on television, seeing as that most shows of such notoriety are known for using current indy rock and female ballady fair, then radical! Must take a lot to surprise ya!

Furthermore, people making fun of this show is a lot more tired than the show itself. Shit's entertaining, that is all.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    AKallDay said:

perhaps one of the more obnoxious replies I've seen in a while, bravo!

This is one of the more popular shows on American television. Curious, do you watch television? If you do, you would find that hearing something like KMD on a show as big as Entourage is quite surprising. For a bunch of white dudes from NY born in the late 70s, they could be playing much more accessible music. Perchance you can share with everyone where you hear songs like "Stop Smoking That Shit" on tv? I'd be interested to watch.

If you're not surprised to hear a Fondle Em 12" being played on one of the bigger shows on television, seeing as that most shows of such notoriety are known for using current indy rock and female ballady fair, then radical! Must take a lot to surprise ya!

Furthermore, people making fun of this show is a lot more tired than the show itself. Shit's entertaining, that is all.

i watch television yes. albeit seldom. i am very familiar with this show and it is very 2004 and is real tired so i disagree with you there.
    and i am again not surprised with the superviser selections, again, because they are trying to surprise people like you and i by being subversive in their choices and they are supposed to be creative in their choices. i don't think it's terribly out of character with the fictional would-be tastes of the fictional characters on the show. i'm glad these artists are making money and not kelly clarkson.

• My bro's single he co-produced by the Rangers was on there a couple weeks ago. Local music aha.

I have to watch it again, but I'm not 100% positive that it was "Smokin' That Sh*t" that was used. It was definitely the same bassline loop, but the drums were different. Also, there's dialogue in the very beginning of their song, the version last night was open. Was it ever available as an instrumental? Has anybody else used that loop?

Edit: I *think* the drums were different.

Herm said:
    I have to watch it again, but I'm not 100% positive that it was "Smokin' That Sh*t" that was used. It was definitely the same bassline loop, but the drums were different. Also, there's dialogue in the very beginning of their song, the version last night was open. Was it ever available as an instrumental? Has anybody else used that loop?

Inst was on Fondle Em 12"

http://www.discogs.com/Subroc-KMD-It-Sounded-Like-A-Roc-Stop-Smokin-That-Shit/release/213194

It def was the orig.