The Dream - Love King album

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Okay folls, have we had a discussion on this album yet? I'm feelin' it. Make sure you get the "Deluxe" edition with all 17 songs. Joints sound good in the whip with the amps and subs.

1. ???Love King??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
2. ???Make Up Bag??? (featuring T.I.) (Produced by The-Dream)
3. ???F.I.L.A??? (Produced by The-Dream)
4. ???Sex Intelligent??? (Produced by The-Dream)
5. ???Sex Intelligent (Remix)??? (Produced by The-Dream)
6. ???Yamaha??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
7. ???Nikki Part 2??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
8. ???Abyss??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
9. ???Panties to the Side??? (Produced by Tricky Stewart & The-Dream)
10. ???Turnt Out??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
11. ???February Love??? (Produced by The-Dream)
12. ???Florida University??? (Produced by The-Dream)
13. ???Veteran??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
14. ???Priceless??? (Produced by Los Da Mystro & The-Dream)
15. ???Take Care of Me??? (Produced by The-Dream)
16. ???All Black Everything??? (Produced by The-Dream)
17. ???Sorry??? (Produced by The-Dream)

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I really don't get this dude's appeal. I mean, I do in a certain sense but I don't see how he stands out from the pack in a lot of your minds.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I really don't get this dude's appeal. I mean, I do in a certain sense but I don't see how he stands out from the pack in a lot of your minds.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Did he knock this out in a weekend? Batmon still hasn't given the second one a second listen.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Los Da Mystro

a.k.a. Carlos McKinney was born into an eminent Detroit jazz family; he is a nephew to pianist Harold McKinney, bassist Ray McKinney, trombonist Bernard McKinney (Kiane Zawadi), and drummers Earl McKinney and Walter Harris. He is a cousin to drummer Ali Jackson and trumpeter Khalil Jackson. His mother, Carolyn McKinney, is a singer, and sister Shani McKinney is a pianist. His younger sister Thema McKinney a.k.a. "Tayma Loren" is an aspiring solo vocalist. Carlos began studying piano at age four with uncle Harold; his first professional appearances were with the R&B group Identity Band when he was 12. He studied classical music at the Center for Creative Studies from 1983 to 1991. He also studied harp under Patricia Terry-Ross, of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. After studying with Harold and Ray McKinney and Marcus Belgrave, he played with the Legacy Quintet (1989-93) and then attended The New School in New York City (1991-95). He played with Winard Harper (1992-93), Antonio Hart (1992-95), Buster Williams (1993), Wallace Roney (1994-96), Sonny Rollins, Elvin Jones, Steve Turre, Branford Marsalis, Wynton Marsalis, Roy Hargrove, Kenny Garrett and Charnett Moffett. He has played jazz festivals in Europe (from 1992), Senegal (1994), Iceland (1995), and Turkey (1997). His first disc as a bandleader was 2000's Up-Front, on Sirocco Jazz.

McKinney has also worked as an arranger and producer. He was assistant composer to James Mtume for the TV show New York Undercover from 1995.[1] He then received a contract from Def Jam, where he worked with musicians such as Neko Case, Keithian, Ciara, Rihanna, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Montell Jordan, Kandace Love, Babyface, and Redman. He has also produced for artists such as The-Dream, J. Holiday, Bobby Valentino, and Jamie Foxx, among others. He produced the hits "Shawty is the Shit" by The-Dream, and "Bed" by J. Holiday in 2007. Lately he has produced for The-Dream's second album "Love vs. Money", including his second single, "My Love" featuring Mariah Carey.

Wow.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

one of the best/gayest R&B songs of the past few years, imo
    prod by los i believe

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's pretty cool about his lineage, and yeah Los is a MONSTER. But so is Tricky Stewart.

That being said, I've been running this album non-stop since I've gotten it, but I have to agree with Catchdini:

Love Hate > Love King > Love vs. Money

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Not as good as his last album. First two tracks are cool; both sound like they could have been from Love Vs Money. They were the first two singles for a reason. The rest is mostly on some different schitt.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Burns said:
    Did he knock this out in a weekend? Batmon still hasn't given the second one a second listen.

I own 1 and 2. and will cop this one.

as far as the FUTURE OF R&B game changing Producer that yall were hypin him up to be after the firts joint......... :comedy_gold:

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    why the stupid production notes after every song?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Murdock said:

So we know who produced the songs. Why is this information "stupid?"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Murdock said:

So we know who produced the songs. Why is this information "tacky?"

titles speak for themselves.

batmon said:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I really like what The Dream is doing. Does he get love (en masse) outside of ATL?

drewnice said:
    I really like what The Dream is doing. Does he get love (en masse) outside of ATL?

The young ladies i know only know/like his radio joints.

I throw on an album cut or Electric Red.......blank stares.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    drewnice said:

I think his window to become a star has already passed; as his buzz in the blog/crit world has increased, his actual profile has declined. His last album didn't produce any monster hits like the first one and, truth be told, didn't cover much new ground. Eager to hear the new one, though. Love-Hate is a modern classic, IMO.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think I'm done with T.I. I simply do not approve of the socially irresponsible messages he is sending young and impressionable women through songs such "Whatever You Like" and "Make Up Bag."

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Brian said:
    I think I'm done with T.I. I simply do not approve of the socially irresponsible messages he is sending young and impressionable women through songs such "Whatever You Like" and "Make Up Bag."

Ha ha -- "five stacks on your make-up bag": F*ck that!

I still like the second album the best, followed by the first album and then this latest one.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    drewnice said:

I think his window to become a star has already passed; as his buzz in the blog/crit world has increased, his actual profile has declined. His last album didn't produce any monster hits like the first one and, truth be told, didn't cover much new ground. Eager to hear the new one, though. Love-Hate is a modern classic, IMO.

Check your PMs hommie.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I still like the second album the best, followed by the first album and then this latest one.

This is where I stand, too.

I've only listened to the new album twice now, but I'm already annoyed by parts of it. I'll reserve judgment until I've given it several complete listens, though. More so than with probably any other artist for me, The-Dream's appeal lies with his complete albums as opposed to his singles.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    More so than with probably any other artist for me, The-Dream's appeal lies with his complete albums as opposed to his singles.

conceptual arc-rltd.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Brian said:

You sound poor and monogamous.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    white_tea said:

I've only listened to the new album twice now, but I'm already annoyed by parts of it. I'll reserve judgment until I've given it several complete listens, though. More so than with probably any other artist for me, The-Dream's appeal lies with his complete albums as opposed to his singles.

This is where I'm at too. I think the 2nd one is my favorite, but 3 is starting to grow on me now that I've heard it a couple times.

I think dude's niche is probably growing, but faux may be right about his chances for really breaking through. I was trying to explain to someone last night who he was, and it wasn't until I hummed some of the first album singles that I got a glimmer of recognition. Maybe dude should abandon his pop ambitions and just really bug out.

Leaving lyrics aside for a sec, I do think his songwriting is a cut above most of what's out there. I'm interested to hear from batmon and others, if this dude's not on top of the current R&B heap, who is? Nobody?

Unherd said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    white_tea said:

This is where I'm at too. I think the 2nd one is my favorite, but 3 is starting to grow on me now that I've heard it a couple times.

I think dude's niche is probably growing, but faux may be right about his chances for really breaking through. I was trying to explain to someone last night who he was, and it wasn't until I hummed some of the first album singles that I got a glimmer of recognition. Maybe dude should abandon his pop ambitions and just really bug out.

Leaving lyrics aside for a sec, I do think his songwriting is a cut above most of what's out there. I'm interested to hear from batmon and others, if this dude's not on top of the current R&B heap, who is? Nobody?

I wouldnt place dude at the number 1 spot. I like him better than Ne-Yo but Ne-Yo is way more household.
    R.Kelly aint dead. Usher. I'd even place Chris Brown in front of dude for popularity.

Im sitting w/ this deluxe album at work, trying to come with an opinion.
    There are some joints on there,but that YAMAHA shit that REY posted earlier is the standout track IMO. I dont know if that could be a single.

I still stick to my OG opinion that dude mines a gang of Prince 'sounds'.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    batmon said:

I wouldnt place dude at the number 1 spot. I like him better than Ne-Yo but Ne-Yo is way more household.
    R.Kelly aint dead. Usher. I'd even place Chris Brown in front of dude for popularity.

Im sitting w/ this deluxe album at work, trying to come with an opinion.
    There are some joints on there,but that YAMAHA shit that REY posted earlier is the standout track IMO. I dont know if that could be a single.

I still stick to my OG opinion that dude mines a gang of Prince 'sounds'.

I dont really disagree with any of this. I think you'd be hard pressed trying to argue that dream has anywhere near the name-recognition of any of those guys, but do Usher or Chris Brown write music? Maybe some of those in-studio youtbe videos were just clever marketing, but my perception of dream is that he's more in the mold of performer/writer/producer, like kells or ne-yo, or even prince, as opposed to the straight up singer dudes.

Anyway, I think ne-yo is a good comparison, but I just don't think his music or songs are as interesting. Sure dream jacks Prince liberally, but dudes got a way with the hooks and melodies thats on some other shit IMO..

No doubt. i read "Current R&B Heap" as everybody.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    this sounds kind of fucked up, but my theory is that The Dream is too formerly chubby/hides behind his sunglasses to become a star in today's market. There's no doubt that "rockin that shit," "shawty is da shit," and "I luv your girl" are big hits, but I don't think he's making the young ladies swoon.

It's like he's RnB's Chad Hugo, if that makes any sense. He's just not the up-front type of dude, but he's more talented than the up-front dudes.

Or maybe it was his dance moves in Walkin On The Moon that made his career slump.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    this sounds kind of fucked up, but my theory is that The Dream is too formerly chubby/hides behind his sunglasses to become a star in today's market. There's no doubt that "rockin that shit," "shawty is da shit," and "I luv your girl" are big hits, but I don't think he's making the young ladies swoon.

It's like he's RnB's Chad Hugo, if that makes any sense. He's just not the up-front type of dude, but he's more talented than the up-front dudes.

Or maybe it was his dance moves in Walkin On The Moon that made his career slump.

This is on point. Dude just sings about sexing girls and "panties to the side" stuff, but really no ladies are checking for him. His fanbase is made up of millions of soulstrut type dudes.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    phongone said:
    His fanbase is made up of millions of soulstrut type dudes.

LOL
    B/W
    Gross
    B/W
    I know plenty of ladies that check for him. A couple who ride heavily for She Needs My Love and his work with Mariah Carey