Ok, reissue prices are officially INSANE

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Just got the new Acoustic Sounds catalog...led zep "houses of the holy" 200g reish......
250 frickin bucks!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?? No special "mfsl" thingy, just a goddamned reissue of a record that sold
in the millions...batshit insane

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've noticed this too. Reissues of some of the more popular breaks are goin sky high as well. Nico Gomez "Ritual" reissue is on ebay for $229.00 and the OG just sold for $125.00. The Turner Bros reissue is going for $79 and some moron was pushing a Whatnauts "On the rocks" reissue for $80!! WTF!!!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I got that catalog too. Redonkulous. And all those 10" Japanese jazz reissues are like $50 now as well.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This is a collector price as the stock runs 'low', this was probably much less when it first came out.

Did you notice the HOTH test pressing for only $500?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Where is Acoustic Sounds out of?

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    This is a collector price as the stock runs 'low', this was probably much less when it first came out.

True for some of that stuff, but for example those jazzman holy grail reissues costed 30-35 euros if you wanted to buy them in the shops here in Belgium. I don't understand why they press only 500 copies of those, I think they could easily sell twice that amount, ask a reasonable price for it and actually make even more profit.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    However, I might drop 50 on one of those Hank mobley "roll call" reishes, a minty OG of that would be way out of my price range. I think 50 bucks should be the ceiling on reissues. I don't understand how a retail price of a any record could be justified to be higher than that.

I believe AS is out of Kansas.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    However, I might drop 50 on one of those Hank mobley "roll call" reishes, a minty OG of that would be way out of my price range. I think 50 bucks should be the ceiling on reissues. I don't understand how a retail price of a any record could be justified to be higher than that.

I'm looking at that Mobley "No Room for Squares"and the Horace Parlan "Moving and Groovin"

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Breez said:
    I've noticed this too. Reissues of some of the more popular breaks are goin sky high as well. Nico Gomez "Ritual" reissue is on ebay for $229.00 and the OG just sold for $125.00. The Turner Bros reissue is going for $79 and some moron was pushing a Whatnauts "On the rocks" reissue for $80!! WTF!!!

the Turner Bros is at a buy it now price. no way in hell he gets that.
    new reissues have definitely been rising in cost. for the most part they are deluxe remastered 180g pressings with download codes and a couple extras thrown in. labels and artists are pushing them as items for their fanbase. basically saying these reissues are the only reason to own a physical product these days.
    i really like some of them, but that Led Zep price is just stupid. Acoustic Sounds' prices are particularly high.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Breez said:
    Where is Acoustic Sounds out of?

they are based out of Kentucky. My boss just recently bought the John Fahey - Yellow Princess reissue. It's nice and all, but with shipping it came out to $42...silly

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

I'm looking at that Mobley "No Room for Squares"and the Horace Parlan "Moving and Groovin"

I've got a couple of those and they are fantastic. (Soul Station, True Blue and Out to Lunch). Well worth $50 bucks. The sound is incredible and meticulous detail went into the covers. They even use the old school cardboard. Don't sleep.

• Acoustic Sounds is based in Kansas

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    New LP records of current releases in japan can be easily $40. I am talking about Japanese artists releases on vinyl. Insane but puts things in perspective a bit.