Hater Culture

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Hating has always been around, but to me it really seems like it has gotten out of control lately.

I sorta blame Bush Jr...as folks got a little too comfortable thinking that being motivated by hate is the best policy.

But whether it be Kobe Bryant or Drake or who/whatever...I'm noticing more and more people only speaking up on people/things that they hate, and aligning their likes even by who/what they hate...rather than simply being motivated moreso by who/what they actually like.

I'm sure I'm also guilty of this to a certain extent, but in the end the practice really disgusts the fuck out of me.

How do we ever get this madness to end?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    change yo avatar then

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    change yo avatar then

???

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /thread.

• i think this has more to do with internet anonymity bleeding into real life than it does with W. anybody can be king shit on the internet, but a lot of people aren't articulate enough to talk about why they like something, so they talk about why they hate something.

batmon said:

I do hate that I still can't see half the youtubes that get embedded on this new site...and despite the good advice, I can't install Firefox on my work computer in favor of Internet Explorer. Oh well, no idea what you just posted, batmon.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's a clip of Paul Gleason from Breakfast Club. (Although your avatar pic is not actually taken from the movie.)

If you click on the video when it's playing/loading, it should take to it's youtube page. Or you could c&p the url from the quote code.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    deathvalley90210 said:
    i think this has more to do with internet anonymity bleeding into real life than it does with W. anybody can be king shit on the internet, but a lot of people aren't articulate enough to talk about why they like something, so they talk about why they hate something.

Beat me to it. Take a look at the comments section of any news site for irrefutable proof of the above.

On second thought, never ever read the comments section of a new site.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    deathvalley90210 said:
    i think this has more to do with internet anonymity bleeding into real life than it does with W. anybody can be king shit on the internet, but a lot of people aren't articulate enough to talk about why they like something, so they talk about why they hate something.

Yes. Along with one-upmanship in the pursuit of being cool.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I agree. The Kobe, Drake, Tiger Woods, etc. hate is silly. Who other than busy-bodies and chatty-cathys have the time to care about what these people do outside of the court/studio/course.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

I do hate that I still can't see half the youtubes that get embedded on this new site...and despite the good advice, I can't install Firefox on my work computer in favor of Internet Explorer. Oh well, no idea what you just posted, batmon.

Thats what i poasted......oh well..

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I stopped watching tv news, I'll occasional read a paper, but I've been much happier without it.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    I've tried to live by the rule "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Kept all my negative thoughts to myself. All my interactions with other people became more positive too. But I found my becoming soft--tolerant of a lot more BS.

I think a healthy dose of hate is good thing.

What's more troubling to me is that people don't understand the distinction between haters--people hate for the sake of hating--and someone who dislikes a person or thing for a good reasons.

I'd like to get rid of the former and not the latter. But it's hard to do so when any expression of dislike in public gets you branded a "hater."

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    I've tried to live by the rule "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Kept all my negative thoughts to myself. All my interactions with other people became more positive too. But I found my becoming soft--tolerant of a lot more BS.

Didnt you start the "Hate on the Roots new album" thread?

• hate/anger is not the same thing as scepticism.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Get rid of jealousy, greed and disrespect and the hate will follow.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    just a lot to hate in this current day and age

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    strutters please,

if something sucks, people need to be told

fusk you,

hater 4 life

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Okem said:
    It's a clip of Paul Gleason from Breakfast Club. (Although your avatar pic is not actually taken from the movie.)

Sure, that pic is from the movie. It's when he says he's got punk kid for 2 months. then he does the devil sign for two.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    That's me. The key quote there is: "I tried to live by the rule...But I found myself becoming soft--tolerant of a lot more BS." Also, Soulstrut seems like an ideal place to get out some of my more critical thoughts without having them infect my personal life.

And, of course, I enjoy playful hating and sh*t-talking thrown in with people's thoughtful expressions of dislike. That's why I started the thread off with a quote from the Haters Ball.

I figured that Harvey was talking about the more vitriolic and consuming forms of hate, rather than calling for an end to all sh*t-talking.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    Okem said:

Sure, that pic is from the movie. It's when he says he's got punk kid for 2 months. then he does the devil sign for two.

Nah dude, look again. He is older and grayer in the pic.

It's actually from a parody of the scene, from one of those recent send up movies.

jjrocks said:

I figured that Harvey was talking about the more vitriolic and consuming forms of hate, rather than calling for an end to all sh*t-talking.

Exactly...it's one thing to be critical. It's a whole 'nother thing to be consumed by hatred to the point that it becomess the foundation of your every day.

Rockadelic said:
    Get rid of jealousy, greed and disrespect and the hate will follow.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Okem said:
    bluesnag said:
    Okem said:

Nah dude, look again. He is older and grayer in the pic.

It's actually from a parody of the scene, from one of those recent send up movies.

Ah man, i HATE those movies!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I hate wilford brimley, and I think that's ok.

I had a dream that he bought a national park with a giant stone mountain, and then he carved down the mountain into the shape of a giant cock and balls. And I had driven a long way to visit this national park and there was the giant cock and balls and I was like "goddamit, what the hell happened?" and the answer was "wilford brimley. he's an asshole."

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    George W. Bush made Gary hate Wilford Brimley. Is no one safe from this monster?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    George W. Bush made Gary hate Wilford Brimley. Is no one safe from this monster?

Did Billy Joel's daughter make you hate Muttontown??

• deathvalley90210 said:
    a lot of people aren't articulate enough to talk about why they like something, so they talk about why they hate something.

this is key

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Real hate is a waste of energy. To ignore is my practice.

• One thing I hate damn near more than ANYTHING (and always have), is the term "hate/hater/hating/etc."..shit annoys me to no end. Sort of like "playa" and "beeyaatch" used to drive me crazy in the 90's when cracker ass crackers wouldn't shut the fuck up with that shit. So yeah..I HATE that shit.