New Roots Album/Haters roll call

jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
i bet everyone got all their hate out in the drake thread, but here's hoping...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HPJ82OJ3

HATE! HATE! HATE! HATE! HATE!

Or celebrate if that's the kind of thing you're into.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    BAN.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    i like Fire and the title cut. joanna newsom sample is kewl, but black thoughts lyrics are really boring on that one. a lot of backpacker cliches he spits on web 20/20. and a consistent problem: for such good musicians, most of their songs lack musicality. the beat on web 20/20 is terrible.

was it the link? sorry if that's not cool.

or do you genuinely like the album?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    haven't checked for the Roots since the 90's. Is this album a compilation of late night show style jams?

^^^ HAHAHA. last album i bought was things fall apart. i keep seeing them live, they kill it, and then i check for them despite past let downs. i'm seriously confused as to what goes on when they get in the studio.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    jjrocks said:

was it the link? sorry if that's not cool.
    Yeah. If someone on the board is cool with the artist(s) it's probably a bad look to post a link to a free download.

cool. any way to know who's friends you might be pissing off in advance? seen similar links to similar stuff on here in the past, so i figured it was all good.

could a moderator please remove the link when he/she gets the chance?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Only Reynaldo is allowed to post album downloads.

I know enough to not post: Daptone, Numero, Academy, Yoga, Jake One, DJ Shadow, The Roots, PUTS, Ugly Duckling, etc.

Littler name dudes would probably benefit from the exposure. Superstar dudes aren't really affected.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have always bought their records, i know its ban worthy around here, but I have nothing but love for all the albums. i am downloading atm and will no doubt still buy the release as there is always at least a couple of tracks off of each record i like, so thankyou

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Always interested to hear a new Roots record, and more often than not, they're an entertaining night out. But the last time I saw them live, the extended noodling passages redefined the term "self-indulgent", and the last two or three albums have been a little unfocussed.

• I've found their recent work really downbeat and lacking a certain crackling energy they used to have - a few banging slabs of brilliance, several forgettable numbers and one or two many songs that are just the wrong kind depressing.

They should release an album centred around the modern live show and cut down on the overly 'artistic expression' side of what Questlove always tries to do.

Looking forward to hearing the new one though. Loved the title track.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I really like "Dear God 2.0," but I trip out that this is the second time that they've coopted someone else's song, added some drums and raps and made it their own. First with Cody Chestnutt ("The Seed") and now with Monsters Of Folk.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Solid, entertaining album. Fans of the "old Roots sounds" will like this album. The Drums really stand out and bang on this.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    phongone said:
    Solid, entertaining album. Fans of the "old Roots sounds" will like this album. The Drums really stand out and bang on this.

I spent the afternoon listening to it. I enjoyed it very mucho. They definitely should've left that bonus track off though. Not only does it suck but Major Lazer already used that 'autotune baby' sound effect.

Boring. Nothing stands out after the cool little vocal thing at the beginning of the first track. I'm tired of questllove's drum sound and hearing him bash away. I agree that much of their recent music lacks a certain musicality/complexity--especially when it comes to melody, harmony, polyrhythm, etc.

• Boring.

And whomever said the thing about thier albums being depressing in later years, they have perfected that here--like emo rap. In the middle of the album as I skipped to the next song, it soundled like the the exact same song starting again...gloomy zzzz after gloomy zzzzz.